The Last Jedi Rate the new Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser!

Sure. She's a girl with no pilot experience, but flies the Millennium Falcon like a pro - and also knows how to fix it when its owner Han Solo doesn't. Then there's the part where she learns how to use the force in a day to do the Jedi mind trick and reverse a mind probe. Then there's also that scene where she beats a trained Jedi knight (Sith lord?) the first time she gets her hand on a light saber (a weapon a novice is likely to cut their own hand off with).

I am curious what your idea of a Mary Sue is if it isn't Rey. Would she somehow block the death star laser with her bare hands?

She's clearly got some sort of piloting experience (in movie-- "We need a pilot!" "We've got one!" "You?!-- In other media it's shown that she's spent a lot of time on flight simulators and moving ships around for Unkar etc). She's also clearly spent time with the Falcon (talking about trying to convince Unkar Plutt not to install the compressor), and even then takes a minute to figure out the controls.

As for fixing it when Han doesn't, the only thing she did was rip out the compressor... That she/her boss installed. Of course she knows more about that part of it than Han does.

Learning to use the Force is quick-- and I'd have liked more there, too-- but it's also instinctive (as it was for Anakin and Luke). She's using the Force without knowing it to pilot the Falcon (as Anakin was when he was Podracing), and you can on her face that she's working out how to do certain things when Kylo's trying to get into her head.

As Lucas said-- A lightsaber is just a weapon, like a pistol. It's a sword. If you want to be GREAT with it, you need training... But it doesn't mean you need training to wield it at all. Finn managed to do enough with what we can assume was his limited Stormtrooper melee training (the riot batons). As for Rey-- Kylo's wounded, emotional and NOT trying to kill her. She'd been defending herself with her staff all her life. Some of those skills are bound to be transferable.... And even then she's still losing the duel the whole time until she remembers Maz's words about letting the Force flow through her (not unlike Luke, who was getting his ass kicked by the remote... then Obi-Wan says to let the Force partially control his actions and he immediately dominates it) does she finally get on the front foot.

Sure. She's a girl with no pilot experience, but flies the Millennium Falcon like a pro - and also knows how to fix it when its owner Han Solo doesn't. Then there's the part where she learns how to use the force in a day to do the Jedi mind trick and reverse a mind probe. Then there's also that scene where she beats a trained Jedi knight (Sith lord?) the first time she gets her hand on a light saber (a weapon a novice is likely to cut their own hand off with).

I am curious what your idea of a Mary Sue is if it isn't Rey. Would she somehow block the death star laser with her bare hands?

But SW is full of these types of characters, so why should Rey be any different?

When did a farm boy like Luke learn to fly an X-wing? All he ever says is "I'm not such a bad pilot..." and from that one statement, we're supposed to glean that he has the piloting expertise to go on a major assault against the Death Star.

Why is Leia such an expert shot with a blaster rifle? Do Alderaan senators/princesses routinely get trained in combat?

I'd buy Rey, a scavenger on a desert planet who's probably had more than a few fights growing up, being adept with a melee weapon like a lightsaber before I'd buy an 18 year old senator being better at using a blaster than trained soldiers. A novice like Finn used the saber before Rey did and managed not to cut his own hand off with it.

Liked the teaser, depends on what expectations are, e.g I'm not looking for Thor Ragnarock. As a tease it's about as good as the first couple of TFA one's they did. 8/10

Rey is a hero with lots of strong traits, but she is flawed as well. People act as if the only way to not be a "Mary Sue" (let's not lie here if she was a man no one would bring up anything) is having it where she murdered her own brother and sulks in the corner having "complexities and depth".

She has many flaws

-She is somewhat of a coward to begin with and afraid to face the journey/call to the gods. Even more so than Luke in ANH. She is afraid to leave Jakku, she has a fools hope that she will be rescued by her family. This one single thing is enough for her clearly not be a Mary Sue. But there is more multiple times she runs away, out of anger/fear.

-She gets mad at Finn and pretty much runs away again from it all when Maz attempts to give her the lightsaber. She flees wanting to run away again from it all, being somewhat of a coward.

-She is captured, failing to run away fro Kylo Ren, is captured, kidnapped, and "mind raped". Again huge things that stray away from a Mary/Gary Sue.

-She is beat to crap by Kylo when he flings her across the forest.

-Many don't notice the flaws of her because they don't focus on them straight up. She admits she has flown ships before "I've flown ships before..". But when she does fly the Falcon it's far from perfect. I truly desire for people to watch that scene again slowly and see how many times she is scraping against the debris and hitting the sand very clumsily. But even still she has had practice and said so, just as much as Luke did and took on the Death Star.

-During the duel at the end, really watch her before the end. She is falling to the ground clumsily lunging at Kylo while he toys with her. It's not until the Force flows through her at the end that she finally bests the heavily wounded Kylo Ren.

-She is also clueless about many things and clearly not worldly.

-There is many explanations for the things she's good at. She's a scavenger that has survived on a harsh world unlike Luke for years by herself and having to fend off enemies with a staff, clearly having some skill in melee combat. Her mechanical prowess is because of her being raised around nothing but scavenging technology and having to survive with what little she had. Being surrounded by other aliens her whole life having to learn different languages to survive, not uncommon even in our world. Most of the things she's good at are mechanical in nature because all she's done is strip spaceships and advanced weaponry all her life, so it would make sense for her to have quite a bit more knowledge then most.

Now she is a great hero, and has higher abilities than any of us normally would...but that is a hero. That's what they are. They are what we wish we could be. You knew Luke would make it too, as much as Batman, or Spider-Man. There are obvious heroes and 99% of the time the hero does not die and makes it.

Lastly regarding Star Wars lore, like Luke before her she is imbued with the Force, in a special way even beyond other Jedi a very natural gift with The Force. And hence the title "The Force Awakens." If you notice it's when Kylo "Mind rapes" her that something is clearly unlocked and that's when she starts using the Force in an outward way like the Jedi Mind Trick. I already went into last page how she

JJ's actually best part of writing in TFA was Rey, she was just an amazing character and clearly someone that has connected with the audience and people want more of her. Gary/Mary Sues actually rarely do that because we want flaws in our characters. But they don't have to be gaping "I killed someone and hid the body" type of flaws.

As said above with Luke in ANH there is one throw away line of him being a good pilot and pretty much goes on a military raid against the most powerful entity in the galaxy. It's a fantasy with magic, it's what the Force does, and makes these folks extra ordinary they are fairy tales.

Even in TPM you have an 8 year old kid that destroys the "Death Star" looking thing at the end. He's good at piloting because of his endowment with the Force. It's something that is a trait of the heroes of the Force.

Ross-clapping.gif

Yeah its not the fist pumping, trumpet blaring, attention grabber like the TFA trailer but its far more interesting and will probably lead to a film I enjoy more than that (not that it was a bad film at all) but the whole idea of Luke coming back and not necessarily being the clear good guy, the concept of the last Jedi, a darker tone all round, all the new characters from the first film seem more "damaged" this time round, its certainly interesting without giving too much away.

I'm sure the next trailer will show a whole lot more anyway.

I'd say that generally I liked it a lot! It obviously wasn't an action driven trailer by any means. It showed beautiful vistas though and gave off a mystical feeling that I assume is throughout the movie.

The cinematography was great. There was something really powerful about the Jedi emblem that Rey was touching, and it looks like we are going to get a big study on Jedi lore here. Guessing that the books/scrolls/whatever are Jedi artifacts or archives, perhaps the Journal of the Whills? When Rey mentions balance, I definitely get the sense that it'll be a key principle throughout the film. That binary of good / bad seems to be at stake here, IMO.

It was refreshing to hear Luke's voice again for sure. When he says, "it's so much bigger," I became almost giddy. Luke is ultimately the simple farm boy who propelled the originals for me, and to hear him say that he's uncovered the deeper truths of Jedi knowledge is really exciting! And then to hear him say that it's time for the Jedi to end... I'd like to think that this is the fulfillment of Anakin's prophecy. Perhaps his line will in fact end the Jedi... not from battle, but from a rejection of their teachings. That's neat to me. It sort of warps the whole notion of good and evil and makes you question the non feeling nature of the Jedi...maybe.

As far as trailers go though, it didn't have a lot of meat to grab onto. Luke's last line was really the showstopper, while everything else feels like a mere taste of what they could actually show. I'm sure there are better space shots, better Kylo shots, better Rey shots, etc... though what we've got has been pretty sweet by my standards.

Last edited:
Rey is a hero with lots of strong traits, but she is flawed as well. People act as if the only way to not be a "Mary Sue" (let's not lie here if she was a man no one would bring up anything) is having it where she murdered her own brother and sulks in the corner having "complexities and depth".

She has many flaws

-She is somewhat of a coward to begin with and afraid to face the journey/call to the gods. Even more so than Luke in ANH. She is afraid to leave Jakku, she has a fools hope that she will be rescued by her family. This one single thing is enough for her clearly not be a Mary Sue. But there is more multiple times she runs away, out of anger/fear.

-She gets mad at Finn and pretty much runs away again from it all when Maz attempts to give her the lightsaber. She flees wanting to run away again from it all, being somewhat of a coward.

-She is captured, failing to run away fro Kylo Ren, is captured, kidnapped, and "mind raped". Again huge things that stray away from a Mary/Gary Sue.

-She is beat to crap by Kylo when he flings her across the forest.

-Many don't notice the flaws of her because they don't focus on them straight up. She admits she has flown ships before "I've flown ships before..". But when she does fly the Falcon it's far from perfect. I truly desire for people to watch that scene again slowly and see how many times she is scraping against the debris and hitting the sand very clumsily. But even still she has had practice and said so, just as much as Luke did and took on the Death Star.

-During the duel at the end, really watch her before the end. She is falling to the ground clumsily lunging at Kylo while he toys with her. It's not until the Force flows through her at the end that she finally bests the heavily wounded Kylo Ren.

-She is also clueless about many things and clearly not worldly.

-There is many explanations for the things she's good at. She's a scavenger that has survived on a harsh world unlike Luke for years by herself and having to fend off enemies with a staff, clearly having some skill in melee combat. Her mechanical prowess is because of her being raised around nothing but scavenging technology and having to survive with what little she had. Being surrounded by other aliens her whole life having to learn different languages to survive, not uncommon even in our world. Most of the things she's good at are mechanical in nature because all she's done is strip spaceships and advanced weaponry all her life, so it would make sense for her to have quite a bit more knowledge then most.

Now she is a great hero, and has higher abilities than any of us normally would...but that is a hero. That's what they are. They are what we wish we could be. You knew Luke would make it too, as much as Batman, or Spider-Man. There are obvious heroes and 99% of the time the hero does not die and makes it.

Lastly regarding Star Wars lore, like Luke before her she is imbued with the Force, in a special way even beyond other Jedi a very natural gift with The Force. And hence the title "The Force Awakens." If you notice it's when Kylo "Mind rapes" her that something is clearly unlocked and that's when she starts using the Force in an outward way like the Jedi Mind Trick. I already went into last page how she

JJ's actually best part of writing in TFA was Rey, she was just an amazing character and clearly someone that has connected with the audience and people want more of her. Gary/Mary Sues actually rarely do that because we want flaws in our characters. But they don't have to be gaping "I killed someone and hid the body" type of flaws.

As said above with Luke in ANH there is one throw away line of him being a good pilot and pretty much goes on a military raid against the most powerful entity in the galaxy. It's a fantasy with magic, it's what the Force does, and makes these folks extra ordinary they are fairy tales.

Even in TPM you have an 8 year old kid that destroys the "Death Star" looking thing at the end. He's good at piloting because of his endowment with the Force. It's something that is a trait of the heroes of the Force.

And 8 year old Anakin flew a 600+ mph pod racer, something its said no other human can do, and won a pod race.

Frankly Im tired of viewers beating up on the character of Rey just because JJ dared to have her not be a completely bumbling nincompoop. I know Thunder isnt a misogynist, but some of this "Mary Sue" BS from some people has to be misogyny at its core.

"How dare that woman be as capable as any typical male hero! Get the Mary Sue out of my male fantasy!"

Last edited:
And 8 year old Anakin flew a 600+ mph pod racer, something its said no other human can do, and won a pod race.

Frankly Im tired of viewers beating up on the character of Rey just because JJ dared to have her not be a completely bumbling nincompoop. I know Thunder isnt a misogynist, but some of this "Mary Sue" BS from some people has to be misogyny at its core.

"How dare that woman be as capable as any typical male hero! Get the Mary Sue out of my male fantasy!"

Well it is established that Anakin is "force Jesus". Which for the record, I also did not like (the whole prophecy thing), but at least it's explained how he can do all those things. Characters also acknowledge that it's abnormal and troubling.

So, if Rey turns out to be the next "chosen one" then that explains some of that. But right now she just seems like a poorly written character.

The problem isn't that she's capable - Princess Leia was capable - it's that she's more capable than any other character in a way that pushes suspension of disbelief. That's the distinction.

Well it is established that Anakin is "force Jesus". Which for the record, I also did not like (the whole prophecy thing), but at least it's explained how he can do all those things. Characters also acknowledge that it's abnormal and troubling.

So, if Rey turns out to be the next "chosen one" then that explains some of that. But right now she just seems like a poorly written character.

The problem isn't that she's capable - Princess Leia was capable - it's that she's more capable than any other character in a way that pushes suspension of disbelief. That's the distinction.

She's realistically capable given her time and experience and scavenger "job" on Jakku and her being a force user. It was no different with Luke. Her being a chosen one isnt at all necesarry to explain any of the stuff she did in TFA. The supposed distinction between her and Luke and Anakin is only in some viewer's minds. Not in the actual film.

Yeah her suspension of disbelief is no different than that of Luke's.

A young farm boy who goes on to infiltrate the most deadly weapoin ever built, then going along and destroying it with a military grade space ship for his first time off the planet.

It's Star Wars it's how it's always been.

All the main leads of the trilogies have been above their peers in the power of the Force and chosen ones in their own ways (not talking the Space Jesus definition either).

What she does is no more unbelievable than Luke. Or Anakin for that regard.

Let's just agree to disagree. Though I would love to see your idea of a Mary Sue if Rey isn't one.

It's a character that never fails, always wins in the end of the day and saves everyone. Rey does none of that. At times Wesley in TNG was a avatar for Gene himself and a Gary Stu, almost a pure fantasy of his own desires. All heroes are in many ways our fantasies, but when you have one with no internal flaws, no obstacles within to overcome, it becomes a Gary Stu/Mary Sue.

Rey has many obstacles she overcomes, some seem with ease, others not so much. Not all the time do you have the hero get captured, mind raped, and kidnapped and fail so hard. It does happen, but Gary Stu/Mary Sues are not those types usually. In reality it's just some one perfect. Which as I had above she is far from, lots of times she's a coward and constantly running away from friends, danger to save her own skin and go back to her selfish ways.

I've seen complaints about the likeness to ANH, but very few that dislike the characters, especially Rey that was one of the few things that most agreed on.

Excuse the sloppy writing I'm doing this on my iPad.

Let's just agree to disagree. Though I would love to see your idea of a Mary Sue if Rey isn't one.

Mary Sue definition:

a type of female character who is depicted as unrealistically lacking in flaws or weaknesses.

Rey doesnt fit the definition of a Mary Sue. She either is or she isnt, and the facts of the film doesnt present her as a Mary Sue. If people are identifying her as a Mary Sue its due to either a misunderstanding of what a Mary Sue is or a result of missing certain things in the film that clearly and adequately explain her believable abilities.

Mary Sue comes up because people don't know what a Mary Sue is.

Rey has flaws, she fails. But she is also strong in the ways of the Force and through her position in life, she has picked up a lot of skills like piloting, knowing various languages, hand to hand combat, and being good with machines.

What bothers me about an argument like Thunder's is it ignores not only TFA (she identifies herself as pilot), but the history of Star Wars. What it means to be Force Sensitive. The inherent skill to learn that comes with it. Force Users are basically prodigies.

We have a certain hack Hollywood writer to thank for all this Mary Sue crap.

Mary Sue definition:

a type of female character who is depicted as unrealistically lacking in flaws or weaknesses.

Rey doesnt fit the definition of a Mary Sue. She either is or she isnt, and the facts of the film doesnt present her as a Mary Sue. If people are identifying her as a Mary Sue its due to either a misunderstanding of what a Mary Sue is or a result of missing certain things in the film that clearly and adequately explain her believable abilities.
Aka The Lana Lang Effect.

I give it an 8.

It has some epic shots, the music is perfect (as always), Luke speaks... The ending has many people already speculating. It's well done.

I think it just lacked maybe one more money shot scene. But at the same time, I'm cool with it. It's Star Wars... we're going to see it regardless.

7/10 for me and that's generous. However, it's at an immediate disadvantage considering it's a teaser. Teasers don't hype me up, and I feel as though they should have gave us a few more money shots considering it was at celebration. People payed money to be there and what they got was kinda meh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"