Relationship between Shang-Chi and Katy

Axl Van Sixx

Comrade
Reaction score
Does anyone else think the relationship between Shang-Chi and Katy should have taken a more clearly romantic turn by the end of the movie?

I've read a lot of commentary praising the film for keeping them as platonic friends. Interviews with Cretton suggest the filmmakers went back and forth on it. I personally thought Simu Liu and Awkwafina had great chemistry and that it would have made sense for them to kiss at the end. Call it corny, but I tend to like that at the end of a movie as part of the happy ending, at least for a crowd-pleasing blockbuster.

The filmmakers were also very aware, based on Cretton's interviews, that Asian men have rarely been portrayed as romantic leads in Hollywood films. As much as this film is claiming to represent a groundbreaking change in Asian representation, the fact that Shang-Chi is the only male Marvel lead without a girlfriend is unfortunate, given persistent cultural stereotypes of the emasculated Asian male.

Personally, I just really liked these two characters, thought the actors had chemistry and believe it would have made sense for them to develop a romantic relationship. Thoughts?

Does anyone else think the relationship between Shang-Chi and Katy should have taken a more clearly romantic turn by the end of the movie?

I've read a lot of commentary praising the film for keeping them as platonic friends. Interviews with Cretton suggest the filmmakers went back and forth on it. I personally thought Simu Liu and Awkwafina had great chemistry and that it would have made sense for them to kiss at the end. Call it corny, but I tend to like that at the end of a movie as part of the happy ending, at least for a crowd-pleasing blockbuster.

The filmmakers were also very aware, based on Cretton's interviews, that Asian men have rarely been portrayed as romantic leads in Hollywood films. As much as this film is claiming to represent a groundbreaking change in Asian representation, the fact that Shang-Chi is the only male Marvel lead without a girlfriend is unfortunate, given persistent cultural stereotypes of the emasculated Asian male.

Personally, I just really liked these two characters, thought the actors had chemistry and believe it would have made sense for them to develop a romantic relationship. Thoughts?
I think your point makes sense as far as getting away from the Asian leading man stigma, but I just feel like it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. They had such great chemistry being what they were: friends goofing around together. Plus, romantic relationships are faaaar down the list of priorities for people who watch these movies.

I really tried to see them as romantic especially when she rested her head on his shoulder towards the end, but I think Shang Chi and Katy were better off as platonic friends. They have too much of the Big Bro/Cool Sis vibe going between them.

Now if they cast another Asian actress in a role for Kwannon or Psylocke, I would like to see how Shang pairs up with her.

From the breakfast forward they felt like a couple to me. Even if there was no kiss shown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"