Rate and Review Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

This was really good. Definitely much better than most of the other origin movies. Tony Leung was a definite highlight and it was great seeing Michelle Yeoh in her brief role. Really would love to see more of them in the future. There were some things that I wish were expanded on/handled differently but still I enjoyed it a lot so no major complaints. Their depictions of Chinese mythological creatures were also really cool. And I can’t believe how they made a faceless, eyeless creature like Morris so darn cute :atp:.

Loved this movie so much but I agree about the Abomination cameo. It just felt so random, even in a universe where they tend to briefly introduce characters to use later. Didn’t ruin anything for me but it was kinda superfluous.

The Abomination appearance was odd - are he and Wong buddies now? - but I thought his redesign was a HUGE improvement over his appearance in TIH.

I also held off on watching Shang-Chi until it was on Disney Plus, and I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I appreciated how much Cretton & company took from the 70s era Master of Kung Fu era despite the problematic nature of the source material. And I was glad that they didn't retcon Shang-Chi's assassination assignment as they did in the comics.

I also liked how clean and straightforward the plot was, especially in comparison to more muddled 2021 MCU efforts like Black Widow and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. In this one every character's behavior made sense. And I thought the couples night out framing device and the underachievers saving the world story was very well done.

I rate it a 7 out of 10.
Overall i thought it was fine, like an entertaining mid-tier MCU film.

I thought the first half of the movie was pretty good and i was getting into the groove of it. The more grounded approached with the mythical stuff in the background worked well and at that point it was down to earth fun and interesting to follow. The family ties, the asian/western influence, the 10 rings, the underground fighting...

The second half kind of lost me with the over the top fantastical elements and some of the lackluster execution of certain aspects like the Ta-lo stuff. When they starting introducing the furry creature, Trevor... i kind of started to check out. There was some good stuff sprinkled here and there but overall i simply wasn't feeling it.

The final post credit scene was great. So funny and relatable. :D

I love a good fun martial arts movie.
I love a good fun superhero movie.
I love a good fun Disney animated movie.
I love good and steady camera work that follows action and moves without shaking.
This also reminded me of Mortal Kombat movie -the fun one from 1995- and How to Train Your Dragon, movies I'm really fond of.

To sum it up; I loved this movie, and it's like a fun combination of all of the above. I also love that the cameos don't necessarily put the movie to a halt or make watching the follow up movie an absolute necessity.

Shang in San Francisco made me think; "Hey, Venom is in there too".

I love a good fun martial arts movie.
I love a good fun superhero movie.
I love a good fun Disney animated movie.
I love good and steady camera work that follows action and moves without shaking.
This also reminded me of Mortal Kombat movie -the fun one from 1995- and How to Train Your Dragon, movies I'm really fond of.

To sum it up; I loved this movie, and it's like a fun combination of all of the above. I also love that the cameos don't necessarily put the movie to a halt or make watching the follow up movie an absolute necessity.

Shang in San Francisco made me think; "Hey, Venom is in there too".
I'm definitely the same on those top 4 and all contributed to why I enjoyed this. :up:

Finally saw this for the 1st time and in the big screen!

I thought it was alrght. I think eXpected a really good movie but I'm not just wowed by the story, especially Wenwu's motivation and those creatures at the final act. Like those creatures were interesting and I eXpect to see more of those in future movies but those were introduced towards the middle of the movie.

The one I disliked the most is Trevor, such a destruction to a solid movie. Not amusing at all to me and I didn't even mind Iron Man 3. I just didn't want that character back.

A lot of the CGI looked green screen to me and its weird because vfX didn't really bother me in previous mcu films. A lot of vfX shots needed more work imo.

For me, the action was the best. But the characters aren't really strong for me. I liked Shang's mom the most. Michelle was underused. Katy was alright but i don't find her character interesting. I feel a bit indifferent with Shang and I wish I knew more about Xialing. Death Dealer and Razor Fist are undeveloped goons. Those karaoke scenes are cringey to me. Personally I never liked karaoke.

Over all, like the Ariana Grande song, its 7 Rings for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"