Doctor Strange
Shang-Chi
Thor
Black Widow
Ant-Man
Spider-Man Homecoming
Captain Marvel
The Incredible Hulk

finally got to see this adn I'm not a fan of awkwafina at all but I ignored her as much as i could the fighting scenes were superb but when they meet up with Trevor the movie lost me what a waste of Kingsley man i love the actor but this character is horrible took my out the movie completely and no reason why Shawn and his Sister could n't understand the creature only Trevor can :whatever:

6/10

Just got back from 2nd viewing, I initially had as a 9-9.25 but I feel it is an 8.25 for me the middle gets a bit slow. Trevor is still meh to me so once he gets involved it dips some, then picks up later. I love the music throughout alone with the fighting.

Already saw this last monday...
Already expressed my feeling on the other thread.

To summarized it: I love it!! I love it more than Black Panther and Doctor Strange. Even though it is still below Captain Marvel.

Here is my feeling that I already wrote on superhero civil war thread but I share it again here as I feel it is more proper thread :)

When Marvel decide they gonna make this movie...To be honest, I am not too exciting because while telling an Asian heroes is something new for Western audiences but in Asia (especially here in Japan), we have already so many superheroes told from the 60s until now in the form of Kamen Rider, Ultraman, Metal Heroes, etc. (Plus a lot of Shounen Jump manga characters). So, the novelty of seeing Asian heroes for the first time are not just there for me personally. But I am gladly say after watched this movie, Shang Chi and Marvel Studios are not just telling a very genuine Asian stories but also honoring and celebrating Asian mythology and culture as a whole.

There are indeed a lot of homage to Anime and Manga world, myth, culture and also some of Tokusatsu element throughout the film. With also elements of classic Andy Lau/Jackie Chan/Chow Yun Fat's Hong Kong movies.

I think this what differentiate Shang Chi from Crazy Rich (while Crazy Rich has also all Asian cast but they are still feel American) but Shang Chi is really feel more Asian.

And for my persoñal issue of Simu Liu that he is not good looking enough (I feel that there are a lot of more good looking and handsome Asian actors spreading across Asia) ...but...I can say it now..it really was a hyperbolic statement. Simu Liu is very charm and likeable. Glad I was proven wrong by his performance. And I guess I owe him a apology here.

And Tony Leung...knowing him previously in 3 Infernal Affairs movies, Red Cliff (movie adaptation of Three Kingdoms) and a very popular and classic Hong Kong martial art series, Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber. He is giving his most layered character performance here. I am a fan of him and he ìs an absolute legend!

Overall...this is one of the heartfelt MCU experience for me and one the best.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

Last edited:
finally got to see this adn I'm not a fan of awkwafina at all but I ignored her as much as i could the fighting scenes

Oh yes...if there is one minor thing that I did not like in the movie is Awkwafina.

As Asian people live in Asia...I feel she is really annoying. She is an antithesis of how Asian girl that I know and familiar with.

To use Japanese phrase, I would describe her as "chittomo kawaikunai" or better yet "Gehin onna" :D

Last edited:
Awkwafina’s humor is definitely an acquired taste. I did laugh at a few of her jokes but I thought Ben Kingsley was funnier (ironic, I know).

So had time to think about the movie and here are my thoughts.

PROS

-Its quite tightly written. Despite there being multiple Flashbacks never once was I confused.
-Pacing is excellent
-The Actors for Shangchis Dad, Mum and Aunt were Excellent. Wen wu was INCREDIBLE
-The Worldbuilding was excellent.
-I actually loved Awakwafina and Ben KIngsley humour.

CONS
-I think Simu Liu was just Ok.Not bad just Ok.I have the same feeling about the sister actress.
I keep feeling they could have gotten better actors for the roles

-The Third act was very mixed for me. After all the emotional setup of the 1st two acts, the movie ends with a Generic Monster showdown.

I think the Third act could have been fixed by changing theThird act villain from a Generic monster to something more emotional

For example what if the Monster not only used the Shang chi's mum voice BUT also tok her orm in the Final battle.

It would be more emotional

Movie is a 7.5 for me

8/10
Fight choreography was really good. I can’t remember the last martial arts film I watched in theater that blew me away. Story was typical origin and Aquafina was annoying, but toned down just enough. I was a little disappointed the Mandarin wasn’t the main big bad. Overall, I really enjoyed it and can’t wait to see where Shang chi falls into the rest of the Avengers.

It wasn't a bad movie by any means. The meat of the story belongs to family issues. I really liked the grudges/motivations Wenwu and Shang-Chi both had towards each other regarding the death of Fala Chen. The fight choreography was great to watch, albeit some of it felt a bit more dance than fight.

Under a better screenplay writer the family issues could've really been memorable. Alas, that's not what I watched. The movie wastes too much time getting to the situation surrounding Ta Lo and the amount of flashbacks was criminal - ruining the overall flow of the movie. I was quite surprised Kevin Feige was ok with that given how OCD he is about pace. Even with that, the rings themselves are not properly fleshed out, which is odd given their intergalactic level powers.

The Wong/Abomination appearance is horribly under-baked, almost a "wouldn't it be cool if" moment during production. Awkwafina? What can I say - I was expecting to be annoyed and that's exactly what they gave me. I'll admit, there is something about her (her voice/tone?) that calls attention to her, but she can't act. She's just out there being dreadfully obnoxious in ways that made Kat Dennings seem muted. Most of her screen time was better served fleshing out other characters.

They decided to spend time creating connective tissue for IM3 by involving Trevor Slattery - some of it was funny. The rest was a miss. His character at this juncture of the MCU is both gratuitous and completely pointless unless they plan on turning him into a running punchline. Then you layer a mystical creature on top of him and it takes things to a slightly jarring level.

Third act was exactly what you'd expect in an MCU flick. I'm just in the minority that is so utterly bored by it at this point i.e. CGI spectacle and an orgy of empty characters (example - soul suckers).

6.5 ...... feels like a Phase 1 movie with better CGI, top tier MCU fights, and aimed solely at the 21-and-under crowd.

Last edited:
Just saw this tonight and liked it a lot! I'd say 8/10 for me.

It certainly had its weak points, but I'd say the strongest points helped it out a lot, which were basically: the martial arts & fight choreography, the ties to Asian culture, and the family-centered story. There were definitely some similarities (both surface- and deeper-level) between this and Black Panther, and I feel that what Black Panther did for that culture, this movie might do for Asian & Asian-American culture.

I loved the martial arts & fight choreography in this movie. So well-done that I forgot I was watching a Marvel movie, which haven't really had the greatest hand-to-hand fight scenes (outside of The Winter Soldier). This was the kind of fight choreography I wanted to see from Mortal Kombat 2021 but we didn't get. MK2021 would've been so much better with this kind of action!

I wouldn't say the movie had any really big cons, just some minor ones that detracted from it. And I wasn't a fan of the pop music soundtrack at all. There were too many pop music songs that just didn't quite fit the action. Would've vastly preferred more Asian-style orchestral music score instead.

I see there's been some complaints about the end of the movie basically being giant CGI monsters. That didn't really bother me too much in this movie, especially since dragons are a prominent symbol in Chinese culture, and there was some subtext behind the dragons.

Since the movie established that Shang Chi lives in San Francisco, I hope we see some Ant-Man interactions in the future.

Last edited:
Awkwafina? What can I say - I was expecting to be annoyed and that's exactly what they gave me. I'll admit, there is something about her (her voice/tone?) that calls attention to her, but she can't act.

I can understand someone being annoyed by her but can't act? Did you watch The Farewell?

Been meaning to write my thoughts on the movie here, but that's alright, because it's given me a chance to think more about all of the things that I liked about the movie (of which there were a lot), and a couple of things that I thought could have been done better (of which there were very few). All of the performances were great, from Simu Liu as the title character, to the secondary characters, to of course Tony Leung as the Mandarin, the film's villain. Actually, like many people seem to be noting, I'm hesitant to even call him a villain; his motivations are unlike many of the ones we've seen before. The whole movie, really, is something that feels fresh, and Marvel's take on the martial arts genre features incredible fight choreography and stunt work, coupled with great camera work free of the shaky cam in so many action movies today. And there really are some great set pieces (the bus and skyscraper scenes being standouts) to show it off. The other production areas such as directing, writing, and editing are all great, too. If I had to find fault with the movie, it would have to be the heavy exposition at certain points, what I thought was underutilization of secondary villains, and maybe some pacing issues. I thought that it was great, but I feel like I'm going to have to see it again to really get attached to it, and that really summarizes my thoughts on not only the movie, but the character: though my interest is as high as it always has been for Marvel, at this point I need more to get invested. I'm sure that Marvel will deliver, though.

Saw this last night, really enjoyed and the fact it really went into the mystical side. It slowed down a bit in the 2nd half but I loved the crazyness of it all and can't wait to see how they integrate all this into an Avengers movie.

The cast were really great, with Liu and Leung as the standouts with really good performances.

However, I still feel The Mandarin hasn't been done justice on screen, and I don't think he ever will now.

8/10

Watched this again

Pros:

The tone. It has a nice balance of levity and weight.

Simu Liu is a bit underrated in the lead. Second time around he grew on me as a well meaning guy
in a bizarre set of circumstances. He actually has some charm.

Similarly Tony Leung as Wenwu brings a bit of nuance to a character who's pretty awful - not an easy task.

Michelle Yeoh adds grace and charm to whatever she appears in....well, except Star Trek Discovery, but she certainly does here.

I'm not a wuxia fan, but have to admire the technical skill involved. Not quite the Matrix, but very impressive.

Cons:

Trevor ****ing Slattery. Ben Kingsley is an acting demigod, but his Liverpool accent is **** and Slattery has to be among the mcu's crappiest characters - the cgi beastie Morris had more charm than he did.

Meng er Zeng, has as much personality as a store mannequin.

For all the money spent the cgi is really terrible.

The story is full of holes, if you stop to think about it for more than a second, a bunch of obvious questions arise.

The movie seems to constantly want us to root for *******s.

Awkwafina was grating the first time, the second time she was completely insufferable. Of all the Asian actresses they could have had as sidekicks, she was their choice? Wow.

Well.....so there's yet another secret faction lurking in the shadows and influencing events, just like Hydra, the Black Widows, the Eternals, Sword, the Hand, the sorcerers the TVA.... the mcu is getting crowded.

Not a bad film, but not a "Triumph" at all 6/10.

Last edited:
Finally saw it on Disney Plus.

I give it a B+.

Very entertaining, though I do feel it was a bit long.

I really dug the family drama though
fake Mandarin's inclusion
just seemed out of place for me.

I would actually like to see some more adventures of Shang Chi on his own without rushing him into The Avengers.

But that's me.

Definitely worth a watch.

Finally was able to watch Shang-Chi on Disney Plus, and it was awesome! Listen, I suck at trying to put into words how I feel about a movie, but Simu Liu was the stand-out star for me. Cinematography was beautiful. Loved it! Easily top 5 in the MCU.

My biggest gripe was including Abomination. Everything about that cameo was bad. It makes no sense, continuity speaking, why he'd be there. His redesign was AWFUL. And they went through all the trouble of getting Tim Roth to do the voice, but all he does is grunt!?!? They couldn't have given him one friggin line??

But I digress. Still an awesome movie. Best origin movie since Iron-Man. 9/10.

My biggest gripe was including Abomination. Everything about that cameo was bad. It makes no sense, continuity speaking, why he'd be there. His redesign was AWFUL. And they went through all the trouble of getting Tim Roth to do the voice, but all he does is grunt!?!? They couldn't have given him one friggin line??

I was thinking that there'd be a post credit scene of Elaine from Seinfeld recruiting him to join her team, so the cameo in the movie wouldve been important to remind you that he exists. But that didn't happen. I think I heard that he'll be in She Hulk????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"