• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Rene Russo Is Thor's Momma

The Sage

The World's Finest
Reaction score
Rene Russo has joined the ever-growing and impressive cast of the upcoming "Thor."

As the wife of Norse god Odin, to be played by Anthony Hopkins in the film, Frigga is the queen of Asgard. She's also the mother of Thor and Loki, the pic's primary villain, portrayed by Tom Hiddleston.

Is this legit? Small role no doubt but she was something back in the day. Has she ever been paired with Hopkins? Great addition.

Last edited:
Yes it is legit. An IMDB search tells me that Hopkins and Russo have worked together before, in a movie called 'Freejack'.

Figured... she's worked with the best of them as it is.

it is official and was already talked about last night in the casting thread.

Nifty. I've only seen her in Lethal Weapon, really, but I'm sure she'll do well.

I wonder if the Thor movie would portray Frigga as Thor mother or Step-mother? And if Step-Mother, if they would say that Jord/Gaia aka Mother Earth is Thor's real mom. Or would that be too confusing?

Last edited:
^I was wondering the exact same thing. The way I see it, explaining that Thor is much more powerful than all the others of his race is an important aspect of the character and Jord being his mother is the main reason that is, as far as I know. I'll admit that I'm no Thor expert however. If wikipedia has misled me, then I'll stand corrected.

Last edited:
Frigga is his stepmother and Jord is his mother in the myths too, so I don't think it would be too confusing.

After 5 years of absence I'm so happy to see again this actress.

Frigga is his stepmother and Jord is his mother in the myths too, so I don't think it would be too confusing.

Ah, ok. I was always more knowledgable about the greek myths than the norse ones.

Most people are. That's part of why Stan and Jack chose to turn a Norse god into a superhero instead of a Greek one. They could take more liberties because the Norse myths weren't as well known.

it will be interesting to see how the play up the mom thing.

Whatever happened to Frigga in the comics? She doesn't seem to have been revived with the rest of the Asgardians, but I can't recall reading anything about her dying before Ragnarok either.

No clue. Then again, Tyr was MIA for a long time before turning up again safe and sound in #604. Frigga may be the same.

ass kickin addition!

I like her as an actress but she looks nothing like Frigga. Frigga is this big, almost fat nordic woman. I would have seen Meryl Streep in that role, given she's more round and she commands more respect. Think about it, Odin is the great Anthony Hopkins and his wife Figga is....Rene Russo?

well makeup and body suits could be what she is doing if they are going for a more rounded frigga. Heck we know ray is going to be in some sort of body suit.

I like her as an actress but she looks nothing like Frigga. Frigga is this big, almost fat nordic woman. I would have seen Meryl Streep in that role, given she's more round and she commands more respect. Think about it, Odin is the great Anthony Hopkins and his wife Figga is....Rene Russo?

Actually Frigga wasn't depicted as an old lady until Simonson's run. Before that she was depicted as looking rather skinny with black hair. Like here in a page from the issue directly preceding the beginning of Simonson's run:

originalfrigga.jpg

Meryl Streep isn't what I would exactly call Nordic looking. Streep's nose makes her look a bit Jewish actually (even though she isn't.) I also wouldn't describe her as being overly fat like Walt Simonson's depiction of the character, i.e., Frigga.

Like HS says, though, Frigga's appearance in the comics has been subject to change over the years, and she only pops up once in a blue moon, anyhow.

Having pointed that out, I think Rene Russo will make a fine Norse goddess. She's a tall, statuesque, blue-eyed redhead with an angular jawline. Although an Italian-American, I suspect Russo's roots originate in the north of Italy where Germanic influence is quite strong (assuming that she's 100% Italian by descent). Plus, she's a good actress and pretty easy on the eyes, especially for her age.

My thoughts. :cwink:

Meryl Streep isn't what I would exactly call Nordic looking. Streep's nose makes her look a bit Jewish actually (even though she isn't.) I also wouldn't describe her as being overly fat like Walt Simonson's depiction of the character, i.e., Frigga.

Like HS says, though, Frigga's appearance in the comics has been subject to change over the years, and she only pops up once in a blue moon, anyhow.

Having pointed that out, I think Rene Russo will make a fine Norse goddess. She's a tall, statuesque, blue-eyed redhead with an angular jawline. Although an Italian-American, I suspect Russo's roots originate in the north of Italy where Germanic influence is quite strong (assuming that she's 100% Italian by descent). Plus, she's a good actress and pretty easy on the eyes, especially for her age.

I'm I the only one who thinks that Rene Russo sort of looks like a taller, older, perhaps more sophisticated version of Drew Barrymore?

Russo is not even good-looking enough. Or impressive-looking enough. Streep is more rounded these days. And the best actress outthere. She would have been perfect standing aside the best older actor we have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"