Request for the Spoilers Forum

AcidTWister said:
If you can't keep up with a discussion in an "Official" thread, you have a couple of choices.

either don't BOTHER trying to continue your former conversation, as it's most likely not even the current topic if there's seven new pages of posts, or...

don't bother posting at all in that thread. learn2lurk. or...

read one page back. that should give you a gist of what's going on, and you can participate in conversation either way.

however, if this is not about "Not being able to keep up", necessarily, and more about not knowing whether or not something has already been said... welcome to the search feature. either way, this is an unnecessary feature that you're asking for that [almost] no other forum i've ever used (and i've used plenty. google me.) would actually allow come to pass.

think of it this way. if you think it's hard to keep up with a single thread that has 7 new pages of text... what would the forum be like if it had 7 new pages of NEW threads based on the same subject because this rule was let to pass? You want to talk about not keeping up? That not only gives you the same result only on a wider scale (now it's a whole forum gone to hell, instead of a single thread), it also forces the people who are NOT interested in whatever you're talking about to have to sift through countless threads of the same topic for pages and pages and pages of the forum just to get to what they're looking for.
The main problem is that posts that are insightful and lengthy, like Nell's usually are, get ignored by a lot of people who are too lazy to read it. Also, within 10 minutes, the post will be swallowed up by the torrent of crap coursing through a lot of threads.

Posts with a statement to make usually get lost in the maelstrom of useless posts such as #19 and #20 in this very thread.

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
What about a comprimise?

We try it out. If someone has something to say that should be seen (an essay, a well thought out review / analysis of the movie), they can have their own thread.
I doesn't even need to be an essay, or a well thought out review. People shouldn't need to work so hard to have a thread! So long as they have an point to make from which discussion can follow and not spam, the thread should be allowed.

I'm in agreement that the Official threads tend to be the most spammy ones out there.

Halcohol said:
The main problem is that posts that are insightful and lengthy, like Nell's usually are, get ignored by a lot of people who are too lazy to read it. Also, within 10 minutes, the post will be swallowed up by the torrent of crap coursing through a lot of threads.

Posts with a statement to make usually get lost in the maelstrom of useless posts such as #19 and #20 in this very thread.

i realize that. but even i had that problem the other day with a one-liner post i made.

the solution? feel free to bump/quote yourself.

In a way, I agree with you Nell. I haven't started too many threads because of fear it will simply be merged. I mean, if you got an interesting theory on a certain character, and make a thread, most of the time people come in, "Close it" "Close/Delete/Ban" or the infamous"LS LS LS!" ;)

(No offense LS, you know we are cool)

But yeah, I mean once the movie hits, you know there will be so many threads popping up and so forth. Yes, LS is right. It will be madness.

BUT, I mean if a thread has a well thought theory/idea, or you can tell the person put alot of work into(Essay's are not fun) why should it not stay open? The Official threads are spam anyway, look at the Colossus one. It is just me and Crimson for pages. :p

A perfect example is the movie 2 comic thread, the poster who made it was new, and the grammar was horrible. People came in saying close it, but look how awesome that thread was.

Forums are meant for open discussion, hence the title 'forum'. Lumping everything Cyclops related into the "Official" Cyclops thread (or any other character) limits possible avenues of discussion greatly. I don't want to read through three pages of miscellaneous crap in order to find a topic of interest. I understand that it may be a bit chaotic at times, but that is what the MODS are for. "To bring order to chaos". To assume lumping everything into an official thread does that is foolish. No offense, but that is what Mods are for. To keep a multitude/variety of threads available for conversation and differing topics.

If this is too much to handle for the current SHH mods and administration perhaps they should consider adding more MODS to make it easier. (Which I think should be done anyway as useless threads and trolls tend to roam rather freely as it is, ie. Chriswhatever's useless bashing thread that went on for nearly two days before it was shut down).

The simple fact is that topics vary and can't/shouldn't be pushed off into a generalized "Official" thread. If a thread is useless, shut it down. It's really rather simple. The members here are varied and different as are their opinions and given a little 'fresh air' so to speak, this forum has the potential to flourish far beyond where it is now.

That's just my two cents.

I dont like looking through official threads either but i'd much rather do that then wait ten mins for the forum to load because so many people are trying to make new threads and posting, i'm actually thinking im not gonna come on for a couple weeks after the movie comes out

Don't really care.This thread is pointless.

I don't know. I think it would be pretty difficult to keep all matters concerning one movie in one thread . . . it might get pretty confusing and tedious. Would issues concerning main characters not just filter into their respective threads anyway?

Like I said, I think things are being seriously exagerrated here.

For example, the Cyclops thread has only had one thread merged with it in its entire existence. Only one. The Storm thread is comprised of only two merged threads, etc., etc.

So what exactly is the issue here? Nell, no offense, but I think you're simply referring to your Cyclops essay (which is the only one that has been merged) being mixed with the official deal. However, have you forgotten the fact that it was allowed to float solo for several days before it was merged? It was certainly given fair exposure and when people stopped posting to it, it was merged.

Here is the deal folks: if we see a thread that asks "Is Cyclops going to die?" we are going to refer them to existing roundtable discussion--it's as simple as that. Not every "essay"-styled thread is being "lumped" into the official threads, so to say they are is simply not accurate. I've provided several examples from just the first few pages of this forum to show that.

I am sure i will find what I want here regardless of the amount of threads, thank god for the SEARCH button

I'd also like to know this: Who said that we would restrict all of the discussion of the film post-release to one thread? No doubt we will have a main poll/thread for initial reaction; SHH always does this so that various movie studios can get a pulse on the general public's opinion of their products.

But that doesn't mean we wouldn't allow other threads discussing various movie-related topics to run their course. Again, this is being done even now, so I'm really confused as to what the point of this thread is?

Lightning Strikez! said:
I'd also like to know this: Who said that we would restrict all of the discussion of the film post-release to one thread? No doubt we will have a main poll/thread for initial reaction; SHH always does this so that various movie studios can get a pulse on the general public's opinion of their products.

But that doesn't mean we wouldn't allow other threads discussing various movie-related topics to run their course. Again, this is being done even now, so I'm really confused as to what the point of this thread is?
Touche, in other words what the point of a forum eh.
Now I'm confussed.

Lightning Strikez! said:
Like I said, I think things are being seriously exagerrated here.

For example, the Cyclops thread has only had one thread merged with it in its entire existence. Only one. The Storm thread is comprised of only two merged threads, etc., etc.

So what exactly is the issue here? Nell, no offense, but I think you're simply referring to your Cyclops essay (which is the only one that has been merged) being mixed with the official deal. However, have you forgotten the fact that it was allowed to float solo for several days before it was merged? It was certainly given fair exposure and when people stopped posting to it, it was merged.

Here is the deal folks: if we see a thread that asks "Is Cyclops going to die?" we are going to refer them to existing roundtable discussion--it's as simple as that. Not every "essay"-styled thread is being "lumped" into the official threads, so to say they are is simply not accurate. I've provided several examples from just the first few pages of this forum to show that.

And I think you missed the bigger issue here, Cal. Y'know I love ya, but I call it like I see it. And, yes, all subjects regarding a character are being lumped together. If I started a thread on Movie Storm compared to Comic Storm, you're saying that wouldn't get pulled into the "Official Storm thread" as opposed to being allowed to stand on its own? Because I think we both know that it wouldn't be allowed it's own mainstay, and instead would be lumped into the Official thread where three comments may be in regards to that topic but the next three may be "Storm's hair rocks". That's the issue. Discussion is ineffective and convoluted as opposed to streamlined and on-topic, which, one would assume, should be the goal of a forum.

weatherwitch said:
And I think you missed the bigger issue here, Cal. Y'know I love ya, but I call it like I see it. And, yes, all subjects regarding a character are being lumped together. If I started a thread on Movie Storm compared to Comic Storm, you're saying that wouldn't get pulled into the "Official Storm thread" as opposed to being allowed to stand on its own? Because I think we both know that it wouldn't be allowed it's own mainstay, and instead would be lumped into the Official thread where three comments may be in regards to that topic but the next three may be "Storm's hair rocks". That's the issue. Discussion is ineffective and convoluted as opposed to streamlined and on-topic, which, one would assume, should be the goal of a forum.

I'm assuming you haven't clicked on the below links. Perhaps you should. :cool:

Lightning Strikez! said:

No offense, but what you're saying is simply not true. Just because the fans choose to continuously update the main character threads doesn't mean there is a mass-merging taking place--there isn't.

I don't think people are wanting hundreds of threads on every little detail of X3, just maybe not all the discussion put into one place. Maybe have one thread for each main part of the film. That way we don't have hundreds of threads, but we all don't get lost in one.

Just my two cents.

Lightning Strikez! said:
I'm assuming you haven't clicked on the below links. Perhaps you should. :cool:

No offense, but what you're saying is simply not true. Just because the fans choose to continuously update the main character threads doesn't mean there is a mass-merging taking place--there isn't.

You would have assumed incorrectly--do I have to tell you what i told Pejo on assuming anything about me. Those links (with the exception of the RoLo one) are not character driven (main character at that) points. They are diverse topics that aren't even in the same field as to what I am talking about. Show me two threads regarding different aspects of a single main character? There is no "Cyclops as a leader" thread. No "Wolverine' weapon Xpast and what it could mean for X3" thread. Nothing like that. If there were, they would be merged into the official thread. I'm not saying every topic needs to be it's own thread--some should be merged. However, there are relevant topics that could and should stand on their own. And they're not. I don't assume there is a mass merging taking place. I said that if a new thread were created (such as the examples I have already stated) they would indeed be merged. :p

weatherwitch said:
You would have assumed incorrectly--do I have to tell you what i told Pejo on assuming anything about me. Those links (with the exception of the RoLo one) are not character driven (main character at that) points. They are diverse topics that aren't even in the same field as to what I am talking about. Show me two threads regarding different aspects of a single main character? There is no "Cyclops as a leader" thread. No "Wolverine' weapon Xpast and what it could mean for X3" thread. Nothing like that. If there were, they would be merged into the official thread. I'm not saying every topic needs to be it's own thread--some should be merged. However, there are relevant topics that could and should stand on their own. And they're not. I don't assume there is a mass merging taking place. I said that if a new thread were created (such as the examples I have already stated) they would indeed be merged. :p

And it makes conversation impossible when there is a point that I want to respond too, but it has 6 pages since that point was posted, and the conversation has switched from, say for the sake of example, what Gambit's possible role in X-Men 3 could be to yet more discussion on why Josh Halloway is perfect for the role.

weatherwitch said:
You would have assumed incorrectly--do I have to tell you what i told Pejo on assuming anything about me. Those links (with the exception of the RoLo one) are not character driven (main character at that) points. They are diverse topics that aren't even in the same field as to what I am talking about.

And I'm saying "No" that's not the case. :cool:

Just from what I recall off the top of my head there are threads discussing:

*The impact the cure would have on Rogue

*The fate of Cyclops

*The value of the Dark Phoenix saga

*Storm's relationship with Logan

Etc. etc.

All of those could have easily gone into the character threads. But they were relevant discussions on the characters that deserved to stand alone--and they were not merged.

So what is your point?

weatherwitch said:
Show me two threads regarding different aspects of a single main character? There is no "Cyclops as a leader" thread. No "Wolverine' weapon Xpast and what it could mean for X3" thread. Nothing like that. If there were, they would be merged into the official thread.

You show me. :cool:

You're talking about "What coulda, shoulda". I'm telling you what has actually happened. To tell us what we *would* do is a different story from what has actually been done. To be frank, the fans haven't created a lot of "deep" threads on these characters lately--and the ones that have are still very much around, buried back in this forum. Search for them. Just because they've dissapeared doesn't mean they've been "merged".

weatherwitch said:
I'm not saying every topic needs to be it's own thread--some should be merged. However, there are relevant topics that could and should stand on their own. And they're not. I don't assume there is a mass merging taking place. I said that if a new thread were created (such as the examples I have already stated) they would indeed be merged. :p

That is your assumption, which can be a different thing from the way things are actually being handled.

Celestio said:
I don't think people are wanting hundreds of threads on every little detail of X3, just maybe not all the discussion put into one place. Maybe have one thread for each main part of the film. That way we don't have hundreds of threads, but we all don't get lost in one.

And I agree with you Celestio.

To the rest of you: I would suggest we all wait for May 26th and afterwards to see what the fans produce--before we start speculating on how the moderators and admins will handle threads 7 weeks from now. :rolleyes::cool:

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
And it makes conversation impossible when there is a point that I want to respond too, but it has 6 pages since that point was posted, and the conversation has switched from, say for the sake of example, what Gambit's possible role in X-Men 3 could be to yet more discussion on why Josh Halloway is perfect for the role.

Nell, you care to address the below?

You're right. It was given fair time. And the last I checked, it still was it's own thread and not even merged.

But do you forget that you had to go out of your way to open it back up, because it was locked not 5 minutes after it was posted? And this was when the official Cyclops thread was also locked, and I couldn't have posted it in there, even if I wanted to?

But no, it's not about that, because as you said, you allowed my Cyclops thread to get the exposure that I felt it deserved, and I appreciate that. And I sent you a PM thanking you for that.

What it is about, is other instances that I have seen. Now, I don't keep track on what has and hasn't been merged, so I can't give you exact examples, but there have been times when someone posts a thread, and I go to click on it because it's something interesting, and all of a sudden I am taken to the beginning of the official Cyclops thread or something. And I go to the last page, and there's been 3 pages of discussion since that thread was merged, and I don't even have any idea what was posted.

I even made a request for a wallpaper to be made after that first Cyclops & Jean picture was released... and immediatley it was merged into the official manips thread, where is was buried amongst a slew of other fan made manips, and my request never got so much as a glance.

I just don't want to come back the early morning of May 26th, after I return from the midnight showing, and post my review, my thoughts, my analysis of the movie, and then have it thrust into an official thread, where maybe 2 people will actually have responded to it, and no real discussion about it will take place.

Because, quite frankly, except in a couple of exceptions (like the Sentinels thread, which hasn't had overwhelming loads of activity), no real conversation takes place, because you make a comment, a point, a piece of information, and 2 pages later (if it even gets to last that long) it's forgotten about, because there are about 7 conversations going on at the same time.

I come to these forums for discussion and conversation with people. And because of that, I find myself avoiding the "official" threads for the most part, because there is no coherent conversation going on in those threads, because everything relating to those topics is forced into one place, even though there might be 7 different subjects on that one topic.

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
You're right. It was given fair time. And the last I checked, it still was it's own thread and not even merged.

But do you forget that you had to go out of your way to open it back up, because it was locked not 5 minutes after it was posted? And this was when the official Cyclops thread was also locked, and I couldn't have posted it in there, even if I wanted to?

I banned the Cyclops topic for a while because there was a flame war going on. A couple of users tried to restart the fued after I logged off and other moderators locked their attempts. Your thread may have been lumped in with that situation, but that was timing--not a reflection of the quality of your thread. That's why it was the only spin-off discussion I reopened. :cool:

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
But no, it's not about that, because as you said, you allowed my Cyclops thread to get the exposure that I felt it deserved, and I appreciate that. And I sent you a PM thanking you for that.

Yes, you did. Which is why I'm confused as to why you kept referring to it in this thread as an example of "injustice"? :(

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
What it is about, is other instances that I have seen. Now, I don't keep track on what has and hasn't been merged, so I can't give you exact examples, but there have been times when someone posts a thread, and I go to click on it because it's something interesting, and all of a sudden I am taken to the beginning of the official Cyclops thread or something. And I go to the last page, and there's been 3 pages of discussion since that thread was merged, and I don't even have any idea what was posted.

I even made a request for a wallpaper to be made after that first Cyclops & Jean picture was released... and immediatley it was merged into the official manips thread, where is was buried amongst a slew of other fan made manips, and my request never got so much as a glance.

I just don't want to come back the early morning of May 26th, after I return from the midnight showing, and post my review, my thoughts, my analysis of the movie, and then have it thrust into an official thread, where maybe 2 people will actually have responded to it, and no real discussion about it will take place.

Because, quite frankly, except in a couple of exceptions (like the Sentinels thread, which hasn't had overwhelming loads of activity), no real conversation takes place, because you make a comment, a point, a piece of information, and 2 pages later (if it even gets to last that long) it's forgotten about, because there are about 7 conversations going on at the same time.

I come to these forums for discussion and conversation with people. And because of that, I find myself avoiding the "official" threads for the most part, because there is no coherent conversation going on in those threads, because everything relating to those topics is forced into one place, even though there might be 7 different subjects on that one topic.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point. But from what I can tell, for the most part any "heavy cerebral" threads have been treated fairly and allowed to go solo--at least until they died off on their own. Merging them later with the most appropriate "Official" thread makes sense to me.

However, there was a tremendous uproar just over the 48 hour closing of the "Cyclops Official Thread". Now you guys are complaining that the Official threads are a cumbersome waste of time. :o

So which is it?

I agree with LS.It would be chaotic.

Not that it won't end up being chaotic anyway.:o

Lightning Strikez! said:
However, there was a tremendous uproar just over the 48 hour closing of the "Cyclops Official Thread". Now you guys are complaining that the Official threads are a cumbersome waste of time. :o

So which is it?

I think the uproar was because that thread was the only place to talk about Cyclops, seeing as how, it was at least assumed, that discussion outside of that thread would just be merged.

A perfect example was when I posted my thread about the Lauren Shuler Donner Q&A over at xverse, and people were complaining that it should be merged with the Gambit thread, even though my post wasn't a Gambit post, Gambit was just one of many topics covered by Donner, and one, as a Gambit fan, that I wanted to have discussion on.

(P.S. that thread was never merged, as it shouldn't have been, so it's not an example of "over-moderation", but an example of the mindset on these boards that is caused by the offical threads, that any discussion of those topics outside the threads should immediatley be merged)

People felt kind of, I dunno if this is the most accurate term, but the only one I can think of, offended, because the Cyclops thread was locked, and my post (which many deemed as an intelligent post) was immediatley locked as well. They felt offended because it appeared, before you looked beyond the obvious, that Cyclops had become an off-limits discussion, because the official thread was locked (and the mindset again, is to keep conversation inside of those official threads, and to not wander outside of them).

I think that was the problem.

And I don't recall using my Cyclops essay as an example of "over-moderation", but rather an example of the types of opinions that I like to express, and respond to, and the types of opinions that whether from me, or anyone else, I'd hate to see lost in a lump of other posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"