Forum Decision: Should The Character Threads Stay Active?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning Strykez!

Former Mod On Pension Pay
Reaction score
Over the last few weeks I've received complaints about the character threads. Some have stated difficulty finding information and staying up-to-date with the lastest developments. It's also been noted that such threads have the potential to become breeding grounds for spam--especially when the newswire is slow.

Should we do away with the character threads? As a moderator I cannot ignore the voiced concerns saying that these threads carry little value. On the other hand, I distinctly recall a huge uproar when the "Cyclops Official Thread" was temporarily locked for 48 hours (due to flame wars). I've also noticed that few fans are actually launching threads about characters anymore, but rather gravitate to the Official Threads for more convenient round table discussions.

Since this matter affects the entire forum, it needs to be discussed and voted on by the board members here. I am presenting you folks with two options:

Option 1: "Free-For-All" Discussion
Action: Character Threads are shut down.
Benefits: This will allow fans to launch multiple threads discussing a wider variety of topics (see IMDb's X-Boards for example).
Drawbacks: Depending on the topic variety, this could mean that many threads on the same character could dominate the front page simitaneously (however general threads that contain simple statements like "I love Rogue, she rocks!" will be closed).

Option 2: Keep The "Official Character Threads Active"
Action: Things stay the way they are.
Benefits: Provides fans with a central discussion base for their favorite X-character, while still being allowed to launch threads of substance on specific aspects of a character.
Drawbacks: Spamming potential; fast-growing threads

Discuss and decide. The majority's vote rules.

i think the character threads should be kept open

This will allow fans to launch multiple threads discussing a wider variety of topics (see IMDb's X-Boards for example).

That alone makes me say no.

But yes. I'd like to see them stay open

Yes, i think they should stay open. When i have something to discuss about my favourite characters, or when i want the latest news on them, i know where to look.

On the downside, the 'permanent' threads like the character threads do get bogged down with rubbish at times because people insist on spamming to boost their thread count and chatting back and forth like this site is MSN messenger.

I voted for them to stay open, It's nice to have a central thread to go and talk about your character in. However, I do realize that things can go off-topic a lot but I dont think Option 1 is a solution, so other compromise maybe. Just my two cents.

dr venture said:
i think the character threads should be kept open

Put it to a vote Dr. Venture--that's going to be my deciding factor...whatever the majority's vote is by the weekend's end will determine the outcome. You guys spend too much time here not to have a say in how the forum is formatted.

Just keep in mind that these standards will be in place through the release of the movie. And we will be going into a newb war at that point. :cool:

I think they should stay open, to aviod less confusion

I'm not a regular poster on this forum, but I do keep up to date on the movie, and these threads are an easy way to keep up to date on the characters.

Lightning Strikez! said:
Just keep in mind that these standards will be in place through the release of the movie. And we will be going into a newb war at that point. :cool:

"Begun, the Newb War has...."

:(

Maybe what we should do is re-launch the character threads. Close the originals and start a new thread using the original post to re-cap the important relevant information from the original character thread. I say this because I'm sick of the situation where (1) noob/person new to the thread comes in and (2) says, "hey, I can't bother to read 100 pages, but did you guys know_______" and then (3) everyone else says, "yeah we talked about that several pages ago." This is really redundant and wastes a lot of peoples time. While I know it would be difficult to do this for all of the character threads, please at least for a few of them like the Sentinel thread. I know you're good at the condensed essay posts, LS. :up:

Why dont we close the original character threads, and start new ones so they can be fresh? Also, tell people to stop spamming or their character thread will be closed.

Son Of Logan said:
Maybe what we should do is re-launch the character threads. Close the originals and start a new thread using the original post to re-cap the important relevant information from the original character thread. I say this because I'm sick of the situation where (1) noob/person new to the thread comes in and (2) says, "hey, I can't bother to read 100 pages, but did you guys know_______" and then (3) everyone else says, "yeah we talked about that several pages ago." This is really redundant and wastes a lot of peoples time. While I know it would be difficult to do this for all of the character threads, please at least for a few of them like the Sentinel thread. I know you're good at the condensed essay posts, LS. :up:

I'm for this idea.

Son Of Logan said:
Maybe what we should do is re-launch the character threads. Close the originals and start a new thread using the original post to re-cap the important relevant information from the original character thread. I say this because I'm sick of the situation where (1) noob/person new to the thread comes in and (2) says, "hey, I can't bother to read 100 pages, but did you guys know_______" and then (3) everyone else says, "yeah we talked about that several pages ago."

I agree with you. You have got a really good point.

But I voted for things to stay the same, because, if we do something like this, in a few days, it will be the same thing. Think about it...

Son Of Logan said:

i agree...except use the first post to explain whats going on with the character in X3, etc. the first post would be edited to add new information.

But somethings gotta be done about the spamming.

PWN3R RANGER said:
I agree with you. You have got a really good point.

But I voted for things to stay the same, because, if we do something like this, in a few days, it will be the same thing. Think about it...

More than likely. I'm just tired of having the same conversations over and over. And with many of these threads having tens of thousands of posts, I'm suggesting some condesing as most of the topics of discussion have been confirmed or denied beyond speculation.

Things should probably stay the same, so I voted for option 2. :O

I love my Jean thread far too much. :o

JP said:
I love my Jean thread far too much. :o

me two and i only go on mainly two and i never really see any spam its always discussions about the character thread.

And i think if you closed them people might make new ones or somthing smilar, but i like them its where the fans of this character can get together with other fans and talk ideas or what they think might happen and plus you met good people.

Things should stay the same. If you have trouble going trough 10 pages on a topic, it's worse when you have to do the same looking for a thread.
I would only suggest a little more tolerance for threads that appears to be the same (a thread about a scene starring Wolverine may stay un-merged with the Wolverine thread)

For those of you who are all for relaunching the character threads, make a note of it in your posts. That can be something we decide upon for another poll soon (too many people have already voted for me to make than an Option 3 for this one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"