Rian Johnson Invites You To The Benoit Blanc Mystery Thread

3e7049731f4eab232fb8cbb4c810fea77ce5626b.gifv

c52bd5fb9cacc8a5bbbc700608d388e7932b9f68.gifv

b83159914a17e6169597ada9bb8b7fde388ff4ec.gifv
Kate had lots of fun moments.

Edit: In fact, this has to be my eternal favourite character of hers.

Last edited:
I caught a few things before they were revealed although most of the time I only got it half right. It was an entertaining movie. Definitely would like to see a third Blanc movie.

Netflix has the rights to a third, and I think we will get a third. Had the sixth biggest streaming movie debut for a Netflix original film.

Chances are Rian Johnson finishes the Benoit Blanc trilogy before he ever returns to Star Wars.

Chances are Rian Johnson finishes the Benoit Blanc trilogy before he ever returns to Star Wars.

I'd say the odds are about 1 in 1.

Curious to see if Johnson ever does make a new Star Wars thing. Just watching the various Glass Onion stuff on yt reveals the same vitriol in the comments, myths told of RJ the destroyer. I think he'd make something good over there, but the fanbase doesn't deserve it lol. Glad he's cotinued to be successful since TLJ, and am plenty happy to see him continue to work on his own creations.

I thought it was alright. Not nearly as good as Knives Out.

I did like how contemporary it was. I like seeing things that relate to COVID… just kind of feels cool that we are in this bubble in history.

I like how this has a similar but different message about wealthy elites and our current geopolitical state.

Edward Norton and the overall theme park quality of the onion didn’t do it for me, personally. This one felt one notch higher in the bizarre and the surreal category over its predecessor, and I didn’t love the sort of off-beat quirky nature of it.

Thank God Johnson is back to doing his strengths and far far away from Star Wars.

I did like how contemporary it was. I like seeing things that relate to COVID… just kind of feels cool that we are in this bubble in history.

I like how this has a similar but different message about wealthy elites and our current geopolitical state.

Yeah it was interesting seeing the Covid elements, and seeing what the masks told you about the characters (The Model and the Bro-tuber not wearing them at all, the fake liberal Politician taking it off as soon as possible, the intelligent detective being the most hesitant to take it off) and like you said, this has been a moment of time we all share, and will have to one day annoyingly explain to our grandkids lol

And yeah, it was fun to see the movies take down Old Money elites last time and New Money people this time

Netflix has the rights to a third, and I think we will get a third. Had the sixth biggest streaming movie debut for a Netflix original film.

These films are an asset for Netflix and created good buzz. Can't see any obvious reason for them not to go for a third unless they are super-expensive, although I see (been told here) that they often don't renew some of their shows beyond the early seasons for some reason.

These films are an asset for Netflix and created good buzz. Can't see any obvious reason for them not to go for a third unless they are super-expensive, although I see (been told here) that they often don't renew some of their shows beyond the early seasons for some reason.

They spent $450 million to get the rights to the franchise, but the first film only cost $40 million, so I doubt they are that expensive to make.

The film is getting a lot of positive buzz right now, so I see no reason they wouldn't make a third.

They spent $450 million to get the rights to the franchise, but the first film only cost $40 million, so I doubt they are that expensive to make.

The film is getting a lot of positive buzz right now, so I see no reason they wouldn't make a third.
Wow, that's a big old outlay in advance! Guess the value comes in when that cost is split over 3 films. Seems very likely that they proceed with the 3rd in that case.

They actually spent that much for only two movies. The third is getting made. It is literally already paid for. Reasonably certain they don't own the rights outright.

Netflix Buys 'Knives Out' Sequels for $450 Million - Variety

I suspect Johnson will either get a stronger theatrical release commitment from Netflix for 4+, or they are going to be outbid, especially since the Netflix well is kind of running dry.

They actually spent that much for only two movies. The third is getting made. It is literally already paid for. Reasonably certain they don't own the rights outright.

Netflix Buys 'Knives Out' Sequels for $450 Million - Variety

I suspect Johnson will either get a stronger theatrical release commitment from Netflix for 4+, or they are going to be outbid, especially since the Netflix well is kind of running dry.

$450 million only to not own the IP outright sounds like a bad business deal.

$450 million only to not own the IP outright sounds like a bad business deal.

It was always going to look bad when you see how successful Knives Out was at the box office, and the potential increase in sequels. Because Neflix was definitely going to have to compensate for back end deals Johnson would get from other distributers. Take off $50 for the making of each movie, you are kind of looking at roughly a net profit of $175 per film, which I would guess equals around $400 million at the box office. Based on the very limited release Glass Onion had, very likely it could have reached that.

It was always stupid for Netflix to pursue sequels to a proven box office franchise. Because they will have to compensate in ways that other distributers don't. And its why I am confided Benoit #4 and 5 will go back to theaters, because Netflix is in no shape to keep tossing out that kind of money.

It would be cool if Netflix considers giving the third one a larger theatrical release than Glass Onion since that did pretty well with a limited run. It would be cool, but I'm not expecting it.

Netflix has pretty much put a stop to overspending talent after this year. You can thank Noah Baumbach for that.

It would be cool if Netflix considers giving the third one a larger theatrical release than Glass Onion since that did pretty well with a limited run. It would be cool, but I'm not expecting it.
They should, but they won't. It's a shame this didn't get a wider release. I was lucky to see it during it's very short theater run and my entire theater was super into it.

It was always going to look bad when you see how successful Knives Out was at the box office, and the potential increase in sequels. Because Neflix was definitely going to have to compensate for back end deals Johnson would get from other distributers. Take off $50 for the making of each movie, you are kind of looking at roughly a net profit of $175 per film, which I would guess equals around $400 million at the box office. Based on the very limited release Glass Onion had, very likely it could have reached that.

It was always stupid for Netflix to pursue sequels to a proven box office franchise. Because they will have to compensate in ways that other distributers don't. And its why I am confided Benoit #4 and 5 will go back to theaters, because Netflix is in no shape to keep tossing out that kind of money.

Even if it means partnering with another distributor, why not give the third movie a bigger theatrical release to try and get some more ROI?

And the main reason I say that is because this is a theatrical level franchise and money was clearly left on the table with this film's theatrical release.

I realize Netflix isn't a theatrical company but even their arrangement for Glass Onion was outside their norm for their original films.

Their main reason they signed Adam Sandler to a huge deal for like $250 million is because they liked that Adam Sandler's films had a global audience for a lot of his films and they made a content deal with Sandler for that in mind, even when Sandler wasn't exactly producing a great deal of hit comedy films anymore.

funny enough Craig is not the first Bond actor to play a gay character Roger Moore was hilarious and kind of a bad ass in Boat Trip to date one of my fave non Bond parts he played LOL.

There was also Timothy Dalton having a love affair with Anthony Hopkins in The Lion in Winter.

Personally, I'd love to see Craig playing this fun character once or twice more since he excells at it. Craig is just showing here what a great range he has and of course had way before he was asked to do Bond. But I don't want to see this character appear in a declining "franchise"when the ideas are starting to running thin.

Last edited:

Even if it means partnering with another distributor, why not give the third movie a bigger theatrical release to try and get some more ROI?

And the main reason I say that is because this is a theatrical level franchise and money was clearly left on the table with this film's theatrical release.

I realize Netflix isn't a theatrical company but even their arrangement for Glass Onion was outside their norm for their original films.

Their main reason they signed Adam Sandler to a huge deal for like $250 million is because they liked that Adam Sandler's films had a global audience for a lot of his films and they made a content deal with Sandler for that in mind, even when Sandler wasn't exactly producing a great deal of hit comedy films anymore.

It may have been possible before the sub bubble popped. Now, all the streamers are faced with sub issues because they all thought the bubble from the pandemic would last. Shockingly, it didn't. And when that happened, the need for Netflix to have their stuff only on Netflix drastically increased.

And even realistically, the amount of money Netflix has spent on these films in no way can be made up by a theatrical release, because it will require even more money to market it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"