Stand-Alone Movies Rian Johnson to Create All-New Star Wars Trilogy

I'm sure Episode VIII will be great, but I think it might've been more wise to announce this after it's released. There's even more of a huge expectation on it now that will be harder to meet. Again, I'm sure it will be great, but this news props Johnson up as Lucasfilm's goldenboy before the supporting evidence has even come out.

Wow, this is huge. Disney must really love what Johnson did with Last Jedi... they'd better hope the general audience ends up agreeing with them.

As for what this new trilogy should be about... well, I'm not really familiar with this Old Republic everyone is talking about. Is it like medieval Star Wars? I'm looking at some pictures of the game on Google and honestly to me it looks exactly like regular Star Wars.

Personally, I hope they give us something completely new. Show us new planets, new characters, new alien cultures and technology. I want to see more of this "galaxy far, far away".

This is what scares me. I can see venturing outside the Jedi/Sith for a solo movie or the TV show they're talking about, but a trilogy with something new? I'm also not familiar with KOTOR, but everything that I've read or heard about would make this a popular choice.

Am I understanding you correctly in that you think doing something new is scary or do you mean something else?

I'm just troubled that Lucasfilm seems to be like Marvel and want to release more SW films every year now. The difference between Marvel and SW, is that we're seeing totally new characters for their movies while this is just the all encompassing SW universe. I just feel like they're putting the cart before the horse here. Plus, I am not interested in seeing a SW movie every quarter if it will come to that. That's too much. They're announcing all of this stuff without much to show for it. It sounds almost like WB, Dark Universe levels in terms of thinking.

It's weird, all these studios want to be like Marvel but they don't know how it worked so well. There's just an assumption to have a universe and release as many films as possible.

I don't want Star Wars to become Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed-like, but money talks. However, if the stories and characters are good, I will see them.

Star Wars stayed alive for decades because people love this universe and these characters. People still wanted more. And we got tons of books and video games. Some of them worked. Some of them didn't. I think it will be the same with the movies as well.

I'm 90% sure that this new trilogy won't be two things.

1. It won't be KOTOR.
2. It won't be Eps X, XI, and XII.

I don't want Star Wars to become Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed-like, but money talks. However, if the stories and characters are good, I will see them.

Star Wars stayed alive for decades because people love this universe and these characters. People still wanted more. And we got tons of books and video games. Some of them worked. Some of them didn't. I think it will be the same with the movies as well.

There's a difference between multiple books and EU content where you take or leave it amidst six movies and then possible four SW movies a year. I'm not opposed to more SW films, but I'm opposed to how many in a certain amount of time. Even though I think being good helps, I don't think that's the sole reason to keep making so many.

I think there's an inherent idea. Marvel's plan can withstand a movie every quarter because the content supports it. I don't think SW does. It's a universe of many stories, not individual characters they can base off. I also think it comes down to the definition and difference between of genre and story.

It's not about that The Winter Soldier and Guardians are comic book or super hero movies, it's that they're radically different genres in which comic books have always inherently have been involved with. Super hero movies are not a genre. It's a simple designation, but not a genre. It's a unique thing. Doctor Strange being a superhero like Black Panther doesn't mean they're both the same types of movies. It's that one's a mystic supernatural film while the other is a sci fi adventure movie where the character is a part of those genres. Star Wars will always be space fantasy enveloping whatever new idea they put in it. The whole basis in SW was to create a modern fairy tale. You can tell a different story, like an espionage story in SW, but it will be there to service the genre of space fantasy. These movies will never be their own genre. That's why so many in one year feels like overkill. We're always getting space fantasy.

Now pretend if Blade Runner is a SW movie. Could it be? If not, why not? SW is rooted in fantasy mythology. There are psychological motifs that can be done different in a SW movie, but they are in service of the fairy tale in which Lucas set out to do.

Last edited:
I said it in the TLJ thread, I'll say it again here since it's more relevant to this trilogy.

I expect this trilogy to act as a "spiritual successor" to the sequel trilogy, meaning it will fill the gap left when sequel trilogy ends, but it won't necessarily continue the story. It will probably explore similar ideas to the Skywalker saga (light side, dark side, destiny, family, etc), but with all new characters and situations. It will probably be larger scale than the anthology films and have higher stakes.

I get the feeling this is Episodes 10, 11, and 12 without calling them that. They can't continue the numbered Skywalker films forever without it sounding like overkill when they reach "Star Wars Episode: 46", but they also can't make every future movie a small-scale anthology film.

I could be completely wrong, but that's sort of the vibe I'm getting. If this is the case, I actually think it's a pretty smart decision. I just think people who are expecting something really out-there and bizarre will be a little disappointed.

I wonder who Joseph Gordon-Levitt will play :oldrazz:

I’ve been thinking the last few days we could see a story predating the Old Republic. Earliest days of the Jedi, limited space travel, not many planets, that kind of thing.

Wait, the official statement on the Star Wars website says that in this new trilogy "Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored." So why are so many people so damn sure that it's gonna be about the Old Republic time period? If it's a "never explored corner" it has to be something completely new, and I'm here for it.

Wait, the official statement on the Star Wars website says that in this new trilogy "Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored." So why are so many people so damn sure that it's gonna be about the Old Republic time period? If it's a "never explored corner" it has to be something completely new, and I'm here for it.
That's what I'm hoping for.

Because it's never been fully explored on film or in the new canon. It's still ripe to be explored however they see fit. I frankly hope it's on the very least something integral to the force mythology.

I hope it isn't.

I don't mind them continuing the Jedi, force aspect in future films for the next trilogy, but this is a great opportunity to do something completely different. The sky's the limit.

I hope it isn't.

I don't mind them continuing the Jedi, force aspect in future films for the next trilogy, but this is a great opportunity to do something completely different. The sky's the limit.

But that's what the Anthologies are for. Besides a possible Obi-Wan spin-off, pretty much all of the ones that have been released or announced are about other aspect of the SW universe. There has literaly not been any new canon content dealing with the golden age of the Jedi and Sith conflict. And even The Force Awakens had very few lightsaber duels.

What is for you "something completely different"? An older version of the technology and world we're accostumed to from Star Wars isn't something completely different? Where else would they spend an entire trilogy of films in a way that only a SW film and not any other science fiction fantasy story could?

I would love to see a trilogy based around the beginnings of the jedi and/or sith, or just basically a Kotor trilogy.
I could just as easily watch a couple of movies about "non-jedi" as well. Cuz I think the SW universe is large enough to tell great stories that does not contain any jedi at all. But I suppose it's best to leave that to the spin-off films.

Hopefully this is a positive sign. Obviously Lucasfilm is happy with what Rian did with TLJ, I just hope that means I'll like it too (after finding TFA just okay and hating R1). I'm a big fan of Johnson's, I just hope his take on Star Wars gels with mine.

While I wouldn't mind a KOTOR trilogy, I hope they'd handle it differently than the games did. They might've been set thousands of years before the OT, but the technology and politics was virtually identical, just a lazy way for the devs to tell their own SW story without any canon restrictions.

Personally I'm hoping that introducing "new characters from a corner of the galaxy that "Star Wars" lore has never before explored" means what it says. That's the point of making new movies, right? Telling new stories? I'm tired of them just recycling existing characters and concepts. It sounds like what R1 should've been.

I have to admit to being a little disappointed he won't be doing the whole trilogy (read the press release wrong, stupid headlines), but I suppose that's hardly realistic. Here's hoping he starts the new trilogy with a bang and LF finds interesting filmmakers to complete it.

But that's what the Anthologies are for. Besides a possible Obi-Wan spin-off, pretty much all of the ones that have been released or announced are about other aspect of the SW universe. There has literaly not been any new canon content dealing with the golden age of the Jedi and Sith conflict. And even The Force Awakens had very few lightsaber duels.

What is for you "something completely different"? An older version of the technology and world we're accostumed to from Star Wars isn't something completely different? Where else would they spend an entire trilogy of films in a way that only a SW film and not any other science fiction fantasy story could?

What anthologies? You mean the Han Solo series, Rogue Fan Film, Boba Fett, Obi-Wan, possibly Yoda? Oh, yeah. Just so incredibly new. Disney, a conglomerate with all their assets who wants to appeal to all four quadrants to make their billions is just really being subversive and groundbreaking right now.

What I mean is nothing we have seen before. I get I have a different idea of what that means, but I read the announcement. The info there is pretty clear. No Jedi, Sith, Force, Empire, themes of destiny or family. Basically, everything you know about SW doesn't apply here. Now's the time to create your own sandbox. Make us re-think what SW is and can be. This is a better way to go.

SW is a universe full of possibilities. It starts at a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. After that the sky's the limit. It's not hard to think that it's entirely possible SW can be more than what it has been. My problem SW fans tend to be unimaginative and only associate with what's come before. Sure SW is a fairy tale, but people seem to think SW works only a few different ways. A fairy tale can be a lot of things and not just what we've seen SW do as a fairy tale.

This is much more exciting than a boring Sith/Jedi prequel idea. Enough of these ideas for once.

Last edited:
A Boba Fett or bounty hunter anthology film is the only idea that really interests me right now as far as the anthologies go.

Rian confirms he is not adapting KOTOR

Rian Johnson said:
Oh, [the fans] love Knights of the Old Republic. I played that game when it first came out and it was like, god, I loved it. Yeah, that’s a fantastic game. And I understand it, the instinct to automatically go to something that you know and love, that you’ve already seen. To me, what’s really fun is the notion of what new stuff are we gonna see, what new stories can we tell?

Of course he isn't, and I'm very happy about it. Again, what's so special about that game? "It's exactly like the Star Wars you already know, except it's set... in the paaaaaaast!"

Doesn't change anything for me. I knew there was no way they'd adapt the game itself, but I still want a movie that takes place during, or even further back than the Old Republic time line. Use completely new characters, I don't mind.

TV show maybe. Disney's new streaming service would be a fit.

I’m pretty convinced this is going to take place Pre-Old Republic, maybe around the discovery of Hyperspace travel.

Um... yeah. No ****. I don't know why people thought this. Jesus, was this so widely believe it even reached Johnson's ears? Are SW fans really this unimaginative?

Look, I'm thrilled to hear Johnson saying all of this, but why in the hell couldn't this be done for these movies now? It makes me nervous about TLJ. It could be great, but if it's just the same old, same old, it's gonna make me less excited for these unannounced SW films that Kennedy is putting out that are totally unproven.

It's like if Feige announced Phase 2 when they were making Thor. "We got Age of Ultron coming your way after The Avengers! Look at our universe!"

Last edited:
Um... yeah. No ****. I don't know why people thought this. Jesus, was this so widely believe it even reached Johnson's ears? Are SW fans really this unimaginative?

Look, I'm thrilled to hear Johnson saying all of this, but why in the hell couldn't this be done for these movies now? It makes me nervous about TLJ. It could be great, but if it's just the same old, same old, it's gonna make me less excited for these unannounced SW films that Kennedy is putting out that are totally unproven.

It's like if Feige announced Phase 2 when they were making Thor. "We got Age of Ultron coming your way after The Avengers! Look at our universe!"

I think after what happened with Carrie, it’s clear why they would want to do 7,8, and 9 now as opposed to later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"