Robert Kirkman's 'Outcast' Lands at Cinemax

Shifty

Chief of Surgery
Reaction score
THR:

Robert Kirkman's Exorcism Drama 'Outcast' Lands at Cinemax (Exclusive)

The Fox International Channels project marks his third comic in development and fourth potential series overall, joining "The Walking Dead" and its upcoming companion show.

The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman is expanding his TV universe to the world of exorcisms.

Following a multiple-cable network bidding war, Cinemax has landed Outcast, a drama based on Kirkman's upcoming Image/Skybound comic of the same name, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The cable network has given a script commitment with large penalty to the project.

The comic and potential series centers on Kyle Barnes, who has been plagued by possession since he was a child. Now an adult, he embarks on a spiritual journey to find answers, but what he uncovers could mean the end of life on Earth as we know it. The comic will debut in 2014.

Kirkman will pen the script and executive produce alongside Circle of Confusion's David Alpert (The Walking Dead). The drama, which was first announced in March, hails from Fox International Channels -- the company that distributes Walking Dead worldwide and a strategic partner on the zombie drama who identified AMC's ratings juggernaut during its script stage. It will mark Kirkman's first time writing a pilot.

"At FIC, we’re committed to creating compelling, innovative television with A-list writers like Robert Kirkman, and with Cinemax we have a partner that is as passionate as we are about this very unique project," said FIC exec vp original development and scripted programming Sharon Tal Yguado. "Outcast is unlike anything on television and has the potential to become another global phenomenon."

The Walking Dead represents cable's biggest drama among total viewers and key demographics. In its recent fourth season premiere, the series continued to shatter its own ratings records, drawing more than 16 million total viewers and again ranking as TV's No. 1 scripted series among adults 18-49. It has bested NBC's Sunday Night Football multiple times in the demo this season and earned an early season five renewal.

"Despite the success of The Walking Dead, Outcast is only my second foray into the horror genre. I think Kyle Barnes is every bit as compelling as Rick Grimes and demonic possession is way scarier than zombies -- so this is going to be fun," Kirkman said. "Starting a new project is like setting off on an long journey and I couldn't ask for better travel companions than David Alpert and [FIC's] Sharon Tal Yguado and I'm thrilled to be a part of what Cinemax has planned for the next few years."

For Kirkman, this marks the writer/executive producer's fourth comic adaptation in the works. In addition to AMC's The Walking Dead, Kirkman is prepping a scripted companion series to the ratings hit with EPs Gale Anne Hurd and Alpert. The untitled project, which AMC hopes to have on the air in 2015, is also based on Kirkman's long-running zombie comics and is the third series (including Chris Hardwick-hosted gabfest The Talking Dead) tied to the franchise.

Additionally, Kirkman's Image/Skybound title Thief of Thieves is also in development at AMC with Alpert attached. Kirkman, who oversees Image Comics imprint Skybound as CEO, will also executive produce an adaptation of David Schulner's comic Clone for Universal TV, though a network is not yet attached.

Talking to reporters recently about Outcast, Kirkman said the title marks the first time since The Walking Dead that he's done a comic that is a very "real-world dramatic take on a horror concept, and this is going to be me doing that again."

Kirkman said Outcast will explore similar themes to The Walking Dead -- most notably the urgency that comes with loved ones affected by an outside force (possession instead of whatever is behind the zombie outbreak). "There are some similarities but hopefully we'll be [covering] new ground that makes this very different from The Walking Dead," he told reporters. "This is going to be a big, epic story with a lot of characters and we'll probably lose a few along the way. I don't know if it's quite as much of a bloodbath as The Walking Dead has turned out to be but there certainly is an element of, 'No one is safe.' "

For their part, Kirkman said FIC got an early look at the comic Outcast and committed early to the project. And, like The Walking Dead, he'll be deeply involved with both. "It's a fun balance to strike, but the two projects are kept very separately in my head," he said of the process. FIC is the international partner on Walking Dead and broadcasts the series in 125 countries.

Kirkman is repped by CAA, Circle of Confusion and Katz Golden.

For Cinemax, Outcast comes as HBO's sibling network continues to build its original scripted roster. In addition to the second season of Banshee and fourth and final season of its first original primetime series Strike Back, the cable network also has Steven Soderbergh's Clive Owen original drama The Knick set for 2014. On the development side, Cinemax is prepping drama pilot Quarry.

Good on Cinemax for outbidding other networks to bring attention to them. Not sure how well it will do in America with it being on the lowest tier of premium cable after HBO, Showtime and Starz. With FIC airing it across the globe it should do well there like The Walking Dead has.

Last edited:
Kirkman talks up the comic...

THR:
Robert Kirkman Talks 'Outcast,' Says 'Walking Dead' Will Return With 'Intense' Season 5
10:00 AM PDT 6/11/2014 by Lesley Goldberg

The comics creator talks with THR about adapting his new exorcism title for TV, why the genre is so hot and says he already knows how the zombie drama's long-running comic will end.

Robert Kirkman is returning to familiar territory. The creator of The Walking Dead comics on which AMC's ratings behemoth is based, this month will launch Outcast, an exorcism story that he's writing -- and already adapting for Cinemax via Fox International Channels.

Outcast, due in comics stores June 25 via Image Comics, will explore similar themes to The Walking Dead -- most notably the urgency that comes with loved ones affected by an outside force (possession instead of whatever is behind the zombie outbreak). The title, released via Kirkman's Skybound imprint, is already out-selling The Walking Dead -- a massive accomplishment considering the latter's recent spike in sales following the story's recent time jump.

The Hollywood Reporter caught up with Kirkman to discuss all things Outcast, including his approach to writing the comic and the TV pilot, knowing how The Walking Dead comic ends, as well as an early look at season five of the AMC juggernaut and his thoughts about those Glenn rumors.

Outcast is similar to The Walking Dead in that it is, as you've said, a dramatic take on a horror concept. What other similarities would you say the two comics share?
I think that both of them strive to be very real examinations of a very fantastical and unreal kind of situation. Although I would argue that demonic possession is certainly something that there's evidence to support the possibility that it could be a real phenomenon -- much more so than zombies. I think zombies are probably definitely never going to happen (Laughs). I think people may wish that they would. But they're both stories about very real people against these horrific backdrops. That's something that I really enjoy doing.

How long do you see Outcast running? Do you already know how it ends?
I actually do. It's the first time I've started a comic knowing exactly what the benchmarks are and where I'm going and how it all wraps up, which is a pretty exciting prospect for me. I don't know that it will run past 100 issues, but it might. Just because I know where the benchmarks are and what I need to do to get there doesn't mean that I know the exact lengths that it'll end up being, which is part of the fun. But it is a finite story that does have a beginning, middle and end, and will probably take a good long time getting there.

You've said that there's a larger mystery beyond the possession storyline for Kyle Barnes. What can you tease about that?
I've been calling Outcast a "horror epic" and I think it will definitely live up to that. We're going to start the story in a very familiar place with demonic possession and play with some of the tropes that people expect from these kinds of storylines. But as Kyle gets deeper and deeper into discovering the ins and outs of this world, he is definitely going to uncover something that is very world-threatening, that he is very much at the center of, that he is the key to trying to prevent. The stakes as the story goes are going to continue to get higher and higher.

With The Walking Dead, the current comics arc has started a new story after a time jump where Rick has re-established part of a larger society. Do you already know how that story ends? How has prepping Outcast, where you know the ending, impacted what you're doing with Walking Dead?
I've known roughly how The Walking Dead [comic] ends for a while now. It's something that I took my time figuring out but I always knew the direction I was going in. A few years ago the end cemented itself. But that's something that is very far off into the future and it's an ending that doesn't really work unless I take my time getting there. I feel like, as with Outcast, the stakes on The Walking Dead have continued to escalate, and in recent issues, we've revealed the full extent of the world building that we're planning to do long-term, and just how important these characters that we've been following are going to turn out to be in the history of civilization. That's a pretty exciting prospect and a really cool change and shift in the narrative of that story.

What makes demonic possession such an attractive story to explore right now? That seems to be emerging as one of the hotter trends, with former Walking Dead showrunner Glen Mazzara also developing a follow-up to The Omen, where Damien is now an adult who realizes he's the antichrist.
Horror is always the most scary when it's the most real. And this is a very personal subject matter to a lot of people. It's something that I think a vast majority of our population actually believes to be a real phenomenon that's taking place and that makes these things that much scarier and that much cooler. I think that it's definitely a realm of horror fiction that deserves to be explored and can definitely be explored in a myriad of ways and still be exciting and engaging and new. [Showtime's] Penny Dreadful is dancing around the edges of this and something like [NBC's] Constantine looks like it's going to be dealing with a more action-driven angle of this. Outcast is going to go down this emotional road and show this really deep character-driven emotional journey that will make it stand apart from any other explorations of exorcism and demonic possession that are going on on TV right now. I think there's room for all that stuff.

Is demonic possession the new zombie drama?
I remember a lot of people saying zombies are the new vampires back when The Walking Dead was starting, so if we can change the narrative to "demons are the new zombies" for Outcast's debut then that will be very exciting.

You're also writing the script for Outcast, which is in development at Cinemax, and it's your first time prepping a potential pilot. How will that version compare to the world that you're creating with the comic, especially considering how much you enjoy changing things up between the comic and the show for AMC's The Walking Dead?
There's definitely going to be a lot similarities, but despite the fact that I'm writing the comic and writing the pilot episode of the series, you will see some pretty big differences. There are certain ways to tell a story, and certain mechanics and things that work really well in comics that don't work well on television and vice versa. There are certain opportunities to be taken when you adapt something into television, where you have motion and sound, where you can expand on and change things in very cool ways in a manner that wouldn't have worked so well in comics. To be honest, that's the fun part and the challenge of saying, "This is going to be moving and there's going to be actors, and it's going to have sound, and there are different things to be done." It's cool to limit the same story and think about it in a different way.

Read the first issue. Not exactly mindblowing stuff, but it's off to a good start.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/patrick...pilot-adam-wingard-robert-kirkman-1201274584/
Patrick Fugit To Star In Cinemax’s ‘Outcast’ From ‘Walking Dead’s Robert Kirkman; Adam Wingard Directing Pilot
by Jen Yamato

EXCLUSIVE: Patrick Fugit (Almost Famous, Gone Girl) has landed the lead in Cinemax’s new exorcism drama Outcast, from The Walking Dead executive producer Robert Kirkman. The supernatural horror project is based on Kirkman and artist Paul Azaceta’s comic series of the same name which hit shelves this summer. Joining Fugit in the cast are British actor Philip Glenister (Life on Mars) and youngster Gabriel Bateman (Stalker, Annabelle), while rising features helmer Adam Wingard (The Guest, You’re Next) has been tapped to direct the pilot.

Fugit, in theaters now in David Fincher’s Oscar contender Gone Girl, will star as Kyle Barnes, a young man who’s been plagued by possession since he was a child. He sets out to seek answers, only to uncover something that could end all life on Earth as we know it. Glenister will play Reverend Anderson, a hard drinking, hard gambling West Virginian evangelical preacher who believes he’s a soldier in God’s holy war against evil. Bateman has been cast as 8-year-old Joshua Austin, a young boy who lives across town who appears to be possessed by a demon and has a mysterious connection to Kyle.

Wingard’s latest film, the psychological thriller The Guest, opened theatrically in September showcasing Downtown Abbey‘s Dan Stevens as an enigmatic stranger who brings menace into the lives of an unsuspecting family. Outcast marks his first foray into television after directing horror features You’re Next, A Horrible Way To Die, and segments of omnibus films V/H/S, V/H/S 2, and The ABCs of Death.

Outcast was penned on spec by Kirkman for Fox International Channels, who developed it internally before Cinemax acquired the pilot script in November and greenlit the pilot this summer. Kirkman is exec producing with Chris Black, David Alpert of Circle of Confusion, Sharon Tal Yguado of FIC, and Sue Naegle.

Fugit is repped by The Gersh Agency and Levin/Brown Management. Glenister is repped by The Artists Partnership in the UK and Untitled Entertainment. Bateman is a client of Coast to Coast Talent Group and HG5 Entertainment. Wingard is with CAA and manager Jeremy Platt.

Glad to see Fugit getting more work.

Holy cow Philip Glenister aka Gene Hunt!

Please let him say "Fire Up The Quattro" once :woot:

[YT]/nXYdNwPf-w0[/YT]

Great news. The comic is great a slow burn but great.

We'll be getting some news and possibly a brief teaser in 10 days as the show will be at Comic-Con.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/06/...x-announce-game-of-thrones-and-outcast-panels

Taking place the following day, July 11, in Room 6DE at 3:00pm, the Outcast panel will give attendees the first look at the upcoming Cinemax series based on the Skybound/Image comic of the same name. Series creators and executive producers Robert Kirkman and Chris Black will be joined on the panel by cast members Patrick Fugit (Kyle Barnes), Philip Glenister (Reverend Anderson), and Wrenn Schmidt (Megan Holter), as well as two surprise guest panelists. The panel will be moderated by Silicon Valley's Kumail Nanjiani, and will also be followed by an autograph signing at 5:45pm.

The Knick returns in October and Banshee usually begins their season in January plus there is another new Cinemax series Quarry that has yet to premiere. Hopefully we'll see it in spring or summer 2016.

tumblr_nr2vmoay1s1qggs8po1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nr2vmoay1s1qggs8po2_r1_1280.jpg

http://www.skybound.com/outcast-by-kirkman-azaceta-variant-for-sdcc/

Could barely tell that was Fugit. Looks good.

[YT]hJzVP_4HYT8[/YT]

Looks good. Trailer had a very creepy vibe

Just read the first collection of the comic. It is pretty good. It isn't scary like Kirkman said it would be yet but the mystery element is engaging and the mythology he seems to building seems cool.

More actors cast

"The Office" star David Denman joins as Mark Holter, the husband of Kyle’s sister Megan.

NCIS alum Melinda McGraw plays Patricia MacCready, a "single mother and devout member of Rome’s Light of God Baptist Church and a regular at Reverend Anderson’s church teas."

Lee Tergesen from "The Americans" takes on the part of "Blake Morrow, a former police officer on death row for murdering his partner’s wife."

Grace Zabriskie of "Big Love" will be Mildred, "one of the old guard of parishioners at Anderson’s church. Full of spit and vinegar, Mildred lives alone and says what’s on her mind."

Catherine Dent from "The Shield" takes the part of Janet Anderson, "the ex-wife of Reverend Anderson. Their marriage was shattered by Anderson’s obsession with battling the forces of darkness, but she still can’t help but feel affection and sympathy for the man she once loved, the father of the her child."

"Star Trek: The Next Generation's" Data, Brent Spiner, will play Sidney, who "appears in Rome soon after Kyle and Reverend Anderson successfully exorcise little Joshua Austin, his dapper appearance and smiling demeanor hide a malevolence."

Sarah Palmer? :up:

Data?! :eek::up:

I see real potential here. On issue 7, it will adapt well to TV .

The cast is shaping up very good.

US NYCC Trailer
[YT]watch?v=tUe4KD8mqZE[/YT]

Outcast Season 1: Comic Con Exclusive Scene
[YT]watch?v=Mrm42DD6UiA[/YT]

That clip is creepy as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"