The Walking Dead Fear the Walking Dead General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Dent

Superhero
Reaction score
AMC announced today that the network is in the initial stages of developing a companion series to its original drama series The Walking Dead, which premiered on AMC in October of 2010. The Walking Dead is currently the #1 show on television among adults 18-49. Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert are on board as executive producers, with AMC Studios set to produce. The companion series has a target on-air date of 2015.

“Building on the success of the most popular show on television for adults 18-49 is literally a no-brainer,” said Charlie Collier, AMC’s president and general manager. “We look forward to working with Robert, Gale and Dave again as we develop an entirely new story and cast of characters. It’s a big world and we can’t wait to give fans another unforgettable view of the zombie apocalypse.”
“After 10 years of writing the comic book series and being so close to the debut of our fourth, and in my opinion, best season of the TV series, I couldn't be more thrilled about getting the chance to create a new corner of The Walking Dead universe,” said Kirkman. “The opportunity to make a show that isn't tethered by the events of the comic book, and is truly a blank page, has set my creativity racing.”

In addition to Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels and Low Winter Sun, AMC recently greenlit two new drama series for 2014, Halt & Catch Fire and Turn. The network today began shooting a new pilot, Line Of Sight, directed and executive produced by Jonathan Demme, and has a licensing agreement with Sony Pictures Television for a spinoff series of Vince Gilligan’s landmark Breaking Bad, based on the Saul Goodman lawyer character with the working title Better Call Saul.
Season four of The Walking Dead returns to AMC on October 13. The Walking Dead is based on the comic book series created and written by Robert Kirkman and published by Skybound, Kirkman's imprint at Image Comics.

The Walking Dead season three out-delivered everything on television including The Big Bang Theory, The Voice, Game of Thrones, Modern Family, and almost doubled The Bible for the broadcast season for adults 18-49.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=109004

Where the **** is everybody? TWD forums are always dead.

Anyway, while I'd rather AMC turned to more original programming and produce shows like Breaking Bad more often this could have lots of potential. Both casts will inevitably cross over at some point but this could be a window for exploring storylines like what's happened to the rest of the world, rebuilding of civilization, the virus's origins' and a cure etc.

I think it'd be interesting if it was from the government or CDC's perspective but honestly I hope they NEVER reveal the cause of the outbreak/zombie apocalypse.

Sounds good bring it on.

I don't mind them delving into finding a cure, if it's the way Kirkman wants to do it, sure. Doesn't mean they have to find one, but at least look for one. Just try and differentiate itself from the original Walking Dead show as much as possible.

I guess a spin-off would be kind of cool. More of a good thing and what-not.

I think it'd be interesting if it was from the government or CDC's perspective but honestly I hope they NEVER reveal the cause of the outbreak/zombie apocalypse.
Same. I love the mystery of that.

Love this. I really hope they don't confine the series to Georgia, though. Explore other areas of the world.

So We'll get The Walking Dead: Miami, The Walking Dead: New York and The Walking: L.A. & so on. Then they'll rename the current series The Walking Dead: Georgia.

I like how everyone online is trying to tie this new series to some comic book storyline, when Kirkman explicitly states...
“The opportunity to make a show that isn't tethered by the events of the comic book, and is truly a blank page, has set my creativity racing.”

Don't mind it being about the cure, that means it wouldn't be the focus of the main series. I think it would be interesting to have this as a companion piece starting in Season 5, let's just see how it turns out.

^ Would be in season 6.

With Mad Men's last season covering April-June 2014, I see this companion show launching in April 2015. So the end of The Walking Dead's 5th season in March 2015 would be the way to promote and launch the spinoff series. You could air it for 10-13 weeks in the spring. Then AMC would have 26-29 weeks where they would likely have the top cable show and a top 18-49 demo show.

How do you replace Breaking Bad? Better Call Saul
How do you replace Mad Men? The Walking Dead spinoff PLUS MORE Talking Dead
How do you replace The Killing? Halt and Catch Fire
How do you replace Low Winter Sun? Turn
How do you replace Hell on Wheels if it was going to be cancelled? Line of Sight

All great options.

AMC has failed with reality shows and some dramas but their 2014/2015 slate, which does rely on spinoffs, looks great. With no comic book to be their guide they are free to do whatever and can "Reboot" each season if things don't work out. Plus it gives them the option to air the spinoff on Thursdays and establish another night of original programming. Imagine 13 million viewers for a Thursday night cable drama.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing developments on this.

Idiotic idea. Weren't they cutting the budget on their uber successful #1 tv show? And now they're going to bank roll another series? Stupid.

With Mad Men's last season covering April-June 2014, I see this companion show launching in April 2015. So the end of The Walking Dead's 5th season in March 2015 would be the way to promote and launch the spinoff series. You could air it for 10-13 weeks in the spring. Then AMC would have 26-29 weeks where they would likely have the top cable show and a top 18-49 demo show.

And now Mad Men's final season is getting split into two:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/18/b...o-split-final-season-into-two-parts.html?_r=0

AMC: Where Story Matters (we just can't think of any new ones right now)

I'll reserve judgement on a spinoff until I get to see it...but all of this spinoff news from AMC is crazy. Don't they have any new show ideas?

And now Mad Men's final season is getting split into two:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/18/b...o-split-final-season-into-two-parts.html?_r=0

AMC: Where Story Matters (we just can't think of any new ones right now)

I'll reserve judgement on a spinoff until I get to see it...but all of this spinoff news from AMC is crazy. Don't they have any new show ideas?

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/tca-amc-picks-up-halt-catch-fire-turn-to-series/
http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/the-walking-dead-david-morrissey-the-governor-future-line-of-sight/

A few.

Considering how small their line-up is, what AMC is doing here does seem like alot, but I'm okay with it as: A. Better Call Saul is something Vince Gilligan wants to do and is involved in, as opposed to something that seems like it's being forced on him, or is being done behind his back and, B. The Walking Dead is their blockbuster franchise. It'd be crazy to think they wouldn't try to get something more out of it. There's a big world outside Georgia, it'll be interesting to see Kirkman cook up something that expands the TWD universe without being tied down to the comics.

Yes, they greenlite two new 2014 shows called Halt and Catch Fire (a silicon valley show in the heydey of the tech boon in the 70-80's) and Turn (a show about the formation of The Culper Ring, George Washington's spy network during the fight for independance days, set in 1778). You just don't hear about them.

EDIT: Ninja'd. :/

I would like that. I would also like it to be set where it rains or snows a lot. They can go international with it if they want.

What happened to that Area 51 script they picked up? I'd rather see that than most of their other new shows.

Where the **** is everybody? TWD forums are always dead.
Appropriately so, given the nature of the series. :cwink:

I think it's a great idea to pull off. If their intention is to keep this seperate from the main series it can be based literally anywhere else in the world they want and bring about a unique perspective from those survivors.

Whatever their intentions are for the spin off I hope it's sufficiently different from the group we're watching now because it wouldn't make much sense to see them just wandering around looking for a safe place to hide after 4/5 seasons of it on TWD unless the location was completely different. Maybe a desert or something tropical, not another Georgia-like locale.

Appropriately so, given the nature of the series. :cwink:

Funny-gif-baby-I-See-What-You-Did-There.gif

I have a feeling that this spin off is goiing to be like The Lone Gunman was to the X-Files.

Great in concept, failed in ratings and cancelled by the end of the first season? I hope not.

On a more serious note I don't want it to have any direct connection to the existing group until much later if they connect at all. It would put them in the same geographical location and as we've seen, it's slow going for them so to really make this series stand out it has to be located in another region.

Kinda wonder what the title will end up being. Maybe, like, The Walking Dead: A Larger World. Using one of the comic arcs as the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"