'ROM: Spaceknight' Appreciation Thread

The DIre Wraiths have appeared from time to time..Marvel still has the rights to them.

They were prominant in the Last days of the New Warriors Vol 1. Star Lost Saga etc..

The Toy for ROM was an absolute JOKE, not only was it crappy..but it never sold and was a complete failure. It looked ridiculous and only vaguely like the comic version of rome...like a bowling pin.

Thats why this issue is so difficult, becuase ROM was only viable becuase of what Marvel comics did with him...in fact even years after the toy was discontinued the comic went strong.

I suspect there is burnt bridges here...Marvel most liekyl still has rights over the character but probably has to pay somebody for its use..which like I said they don't want to do for somthing they see as fringe and uncertain appeal. Marvel MADE ROM and I sort of understand why they wouldnt want to pay somebody like parker brothers (or whoever) money for his use. He wasnt exactly some super original concept.

I don't remember the whole deal, but this came up on the board awhile ago and somebody knows the whole situation.

It really is a shame though.

The DIre Wraiths have appeared from time to time..Marvel still has the rights to them.

They were prominant in the Last days of the New Warriors Vol 1. Star Lost Saga etc..

The Toy for ROM was an absolute JOKE, not only was it crappy..but it never sold and was a complete failure. It looked ridiculous and only vaguely like the comic version of rome...like a bowling pin.

Thats why this issue is so difficult, becuase ROM was only viable becuase of what Marvel comics did with him...in fact even years after the toy was discontinued the comic went strong.

I suspect there is burnt bridges here...Marvel most liekyl still has rights over the character but probably has to pay somebody for its use..which like I said they don't want to do for somthing they see as fringe and uncertain appeal. Marvel MADE ROM and I sort of understand why they wouldnt want to pay somebody like parker brothers (or whoever) money for his use. He wasnt exactly some super original concept.

I don't remember the whole deal, but this came up on the board awhile ago and somebody knows the whole situation.

It really is a shame though.

But Rom WAS a huge property for Marvel.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=16834279&postcount=5

That's why it wouldn't make sense for them to be doing that.

Last edited:
oh so you are the cause of all of that huh!!

Rom was the reason i liked Rogue. She made that 1stappearance in Avengers but i was like Meh!! so what! but when she showed up in Rom i was like"cool." even that she was an old lady back then( haha Marvel never explained how she tuned into a young chippee from an old lady) Hahaha

Rogue had a bunch of appearances in Dazzler, too, during that time. A bunch of those adventures was just printed in an Essential Dazzler Vol. 2 collection.

Rogue had a bunch of appearances in Dazzler, too, during that time. A bunch of those adventures was just printed in an Essential Dazzler Vol. 2 collection.

She did develop here 'good streak' after she met Rom though.

Does anyone know how we could convince Marvel to apply for the license?

I don't think Marvel is the one you need to convince. Hasbro is acting like they hold the only remaining liquor license in town, and they're only selling at a price that makes it bad business. I mean, jeez, it's a 20-yr old toy that wasn't successful in the first place. You'd think they'd be begging Marvel to do something with it.

Does anyone know what Hasbro is even asking??

My bet is that Marvel feels little need to pay ANYTHING...it just considers this an irrelevant issue.

With Marvel's cartoon power and Hasbro's toys..i think a mutually beneficial partnership could easily be reached for both sides to make loads of cash if there was deemed a demand.

I doubt anyone in either place deems that there is sufficient demand.

ROM was one of my favorites back in the early 80's....

Great book.

Rom's stuck in Limbo. Or he will be....in an alternate universe. Universe X. Or whatever.

I don't think Marvel is the one you need to convince. Hasbro is acting like they hold the only remaining liquor license in town, and they're only selling at a price that makes it bad business. I mean, jeez, it's a 20-yr old toy that wasn't successful in the first place. You'd think they'd be begging Marvel to do something with it.

I know. I'm trying to figure what their reasoning is, but it's all confusing.

Oh man oh man...I absolutely LOVED Rom back in the day!
A friend of mine had received the toy first as a christmas gift or some such deal. He found out about the comics and turned me on to them, since I was a little unsure about how the comics would be since the toy was really crappy. To my surprise not only was it really good, but it was also drawn (at least when I started collecting it) by Our Pal Sal Buscema who was also drawing the good ol' Hulk at the time. Ahhhh...memories...are made of this....
I can just about gurantee if I had seen a new updated version of Rom in the comic store last time I went in, I would have picked that up..no questions asked baby!!!

:bh:

Hey..how about that? Rom had the privilege of being my 100th post! Yipee!!!!!:applaud

lol, I know this is late, but congrats. :woot:
aw shucks...now you make me wanna celebrate!
Maybe I'll dig out my neutralizer from my back closet and I'll fire a few blasts around the neighborhood before dinner! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skaboss241
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"