• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Rotten Tomatoes watch thread

Hell yeah. But people had big problems with the story in that too. Similar to what I'm hearing here. A big fun, 80s romp with storytelling issues.

The reception to this is sounding like Aquaman—which I unabashedly freaking love— so if its like that then I’m good.

But I am getting the impression that this movie is far less fun than Aquaman. Aquaman was full of huge action set pieces that were literally ripped from the comics. Aquaman knew what it wanted to be and did it.

I see a lot of people drawing comparisons to the old Superman movies but is it possible that Patty Jenkins simply wanted to do a big-budget episode of the Linda Carter WW series? I can't really comment because I've never watched it.

I see a lot of people drawing comparisons to the old Superman movies but is it possible that Patty Jenkins simply wanted to do a big-budget episode of the Linda Carter WW series? I can't really comment because I've never watched it.

The impression I'm getting is that it might be a combo of both.

I doubt Patty gets fired. She’s a hot commodity now that she’s also directing a Star Wars movie. If she doesn’t come back, it will be because it’s her own decision not to.

Speaking truthfully, before this movie I thought Jenkins was to Wonder Woman what Nolan was to Batman, and that’s certainly how she has been behaving.

Frankly, it’s bleeding up obvious that the problems this movie has stem from Jenkins’ poor direction, bad judgment and arrogance.

I went from thinking no one else could do this, to hoping that she goes. No way that Disney won’t micromanage her on Star Wars after this movie.

I still don’t think it’s a bad movie overall, but it is clearly a misfire and were it in theatres I don’t see how it could possibly have made a billion dollars.

I expect Jenkins is entering a troubled period in her career. I’ve not really seen someone undo their own work in the way she did here and it makes the 2017 film look like a fluke.

Maybe another comparison is Gremlins 2.

The reception to this is sounding like Aquaman—which I unabashedly freaking love— so if its like that then I’m good.

I also love Aquaman.

Unfortunately the movie is nothing like that, or Shazam.

Really hard to go past Superman 3 as a comparison for tone and plot. Still a better movie than that, but it’s just not Aquaman at all.

Last edited:
The early review critics belong to popular sites like Collider, Cinemablend, JoBlo ect.. They might be more inclined to write a positive review for future early access screenings and access to the cast for interviews.

I don't think it's as cynical as trading positive reviews for access. It's just that these outlets were more likely to enjoy the film and thus were given priority when it comes to seeing it.

I don't think it's as cynical as trading positive reviews for access. It's just that these outlets were more likely to enjoy the film and thus were given priority when it comes to seeing it.

I remember you. You were the one that deactivated his Twitter account when the score was high and came back when it went down.

But like I said, the comparison to Superman 3 is in terms of tone not quality.

Yeah, to say this film is like a Richard Donner Superman film is inaccurate. It's definitely more like a Richard Lester Superman film, except better made.

I remember you. You were the one that deactivated his Twitter account when the score was high and came back when it went down.

I de- and reactivate my account frequently. My DMs are 90% "You suck for (opinion that doesn't match theirs)" and "What does Mechagodzilla look like" and I need breaks. People just noticed this time because they came to talk crap when WW84 opened highly.

Down to 69% and the movie has lost its “Certified Fresh” status. Will be very embarassing if it goes rotten, given the emphasis that’s been placed on the “Certified Fresh” status by WB’s marketing.

Last edited:
69% for this is way too low. I felt the same about Aquaman. This was a very good movie. I don't care what the score is.

Sadly, if this film ends up with 400+ reviews it is most likely going to end up being rotten. Never thought that would ever be possible.

This film is such an interesting beast. Judging by the reactions from people hear this is going to be a “critics hate but fans love” type of movie.

This film is such an interesting beast. Judging by the reactions from people hear this is going to be a “critics hate but fans love” type of movie.

I actually think it’s going to divide the fan base. It definitely does not have universal appeal and will piss off people who became fans of Wonder Woman due to the first film.

I admire your optimism, I really do. But it’s very likely you’ll see two green splats on this rotten tomatoes page and I think the odds will favour you yourself not liking this movie that much.

It’s simply a misfire.

Last edited:
I actually think it’s going to divide the fan base. It definitely does not have universal appeal and will piss off people who became fans of Wonder Woman due to the first film.

I admire your optimism, I really do. But it’s very likely you’ll see two green splats on this rotten tomatoes page and I think the odds will favour you yourself not liking this movie that much.

It’s simply a misfire.

You must have missed my posts earlier today. ;) I indeed did not like this movie. I tried really hard but i couldnt but what they were selling. But part of the reason why I said the fans will love it is because—so far at least — the majority of the people on the Hype seemed to really like this.

You must have missed my posts earlier today. ;) I indeed did not like this movie. I tried really hard but i couldnt but what they were selling. But part of the reason why I said the fans will love it is because—so far at least — the majority of the people on the Hype seemed to really like this.

Ah - I am sorry to hear you didn’t like it.

May be some The Phantom Menace effect going on here at the hype

I do think there's too many sites being Rotten Tomatoes certified.

Down to 69% and the movie has lost its “Certified Fresh” status. Will be very embarassing if it goes rotten, given the emphasis that’s been placed on the “Certified Fresh” status by WB’s marketing.

69% is the limit for that and it's right at it. 68% and it goes.

Just finished it.

I agree with the Superman 3 comparisons. It was just bad. Though it was missing a bad ass Clark vs evil Superman scene.

It does make the first one seem like a fluke.

Down to 68%. Can't say they didn't bring this on themselves. When you so drastically change course from one movie to the other, this is bound to happen. A rotten score for this movie will be so embarrassing for the WW franchise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"