Ant-Man (2015): Rotten Tomatoes Watch/Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything Ive said has been part of the overall debate around Ant Man either in this forum or outside.

This isnt about ME personally. Its not like I'm making all this stuff up out of the blue. Some people cannot accept that Ant Man is a success and that Wright wasnt directly involved. He did come up with some ideas/concepts but Rudd/McKay and others reworked that and Peyton Reed directed and brought the movie to life with his own alternate vision. Theres nothing much left to debate anymore with Wrights involvement.

Also for all we know the problems/flaws people have with the movie may have been Wrights ideas. How do you even know what he did vs what Rudd, McKay and Reed etc came up with to improve/alter it? My money is on Wrights stuff being the main flaws since it wasnt what Marvel wanted. Thats also probably why he left in the first place.

The main problems I've been hearing are problems with direction: Pacing, atmosphere, general blandness and lack of ambition. There's really no way that Wright could be at fault for that.

You say that you believe that any flaws in the film are Wright's fault because what he wanted wasn't what Marvel wanted. Everything I've seen from you around here suggests to me that you are extremely uncomfortable with the notion that Marvel is capable of being wrong about something or making a mistake.

FUN FACT: The Marvel Cinematic Universe (including all of Marvel TV) has an RT score average of 83%.

Last edited:
I just wish Marvel didn't release the Hulk movie back in 2008. If they did it now, it would be amazing.

I saw Ant-Man last night and loved it. I thought it was really entertaining, the special FX were great (two parts were shaky), and the story was really well done. It had flaws, but every movie does, especially every CBM. I think Marvel is just in a groove right now. their template works, they're firing on all cylinders and making the best of what they have.

Long time lurker on this site - with all the movies coming up - finally decided to jump in and start to share some thoughts.

We need more positive reviews to keep it in the 80s. Only one more negative review and it'll drop back down to 79.

The main problems I've been hearing are problems with direction: Pacing, atmosphere, general blandness and lack of ambition. There's really no way that Wright could be at fault for that.

You say that you believe that any flaws in the film are Wright's fault because what he wanted wasn't what Marvel wanted. Everything I've seen from you around here suggests to me that you are extremely uncomfortable with the notion that Marvel is capable of being wrong about something or making a mistake.

So, having a 80% in Rotten Tomatoes is a mistake.

^^^This guy. lol

The Question is a negative creep.

[YT]xyGwMqMCta4[/YT]

Last edited:
I saw Ant-Man last night and loved it. I thought it was really entertaining, the special FX were great (two parts were shaky), and the story was really well done. It had flaws, but every movie does, especially every CBM. I think Marvel is just in a groove right now. their template works, they're firing on all cylinders and making the best of what they have.

Long time lurker on this site - with all the movies coming up - finally decided to jump in and start to share some thoughts.

Welcome! :up:

Probably going to end up seeing this one again with a buddy of mine. I enjoyed the heck out of this one. I'll see it in IMAX before it leaves. This a quality entry into the MCU and I'm glad that we have a character like this. I hope the 80% holds!

Back down to 79%. But, don't worry. We only need one positive review to get back at 80%.

They'll continue to trickle in for awhile I suppose. It'll probably end up +/- 1 or 2 from where it is now. That feels pretty fair to me. Considering the turmoil involved it could have gone a lot worse.

Personally I'm happier about the 92% audience approval at RT, or the (current) 8/10 IMDB. Or the A CinemaScore. People like the movie. Better to make less money on a film people enjoy than rake in the dollars while feeding them a turd.

So, having a 80% in Rotten Tomatoes is a mistake.

An 80% rating on Rotten Tomatoes does not objectively prove a film's quality. A person can see a film, not like it, and think the studio made a mistake, from the standpoint of making an enjoyable film, in their decisions regarding who the director was. This is a reasonable stance to take.

You don't have to agree with that opinion, obviously. If you think the film was good, then to you the film was good.

But what I was addressing was what seems to be a very knee-jerk aversion to even entertaining the possibility that Marvel Studios is capable of making a mistake. That, to me, is entirely absurd.

Also, the film doesn't even need to be bad to think that a mistake was made. A person can genuinely enjoy the film and still think Marvel made a mistake because they think the movie could have been even better with the original director at the helm.

Last edited:
They'll continue to trickle in for awhile I suppose. It'll probably end up +/- 1 or 2 from where it is now. That feels pretty fair to me. Considering the turmoil involved it could have gone a lot worse.

Personally I'm happier about the 92% audience approval at RT, or the (current) 8/10 IMDB. Or the A CinemaScore. People like the movie. Better to make less money on a film people enjoy than rake in the dollars while feeding them a turd.

cough cough TRANSFORMER SEQUELS cough cough.

Cough.gif

An 80% rating on Rotten Tomatoes does not objectively prove a film's quality. A person can see a film, not like it, and think the studio made a mistake, from the standpoint of making an enjoyable film, in their decisions regarding who the director was. This is a reasonable stance to take.

You don't have to agree with that opinion, obviously. If you think the film was good, then to you the film was good.

But what I was addressing was what seems to be a very knee-jerk aversion to even entertaining the possibility that Marvel Studios is capable of making a mistake. That, to me, is entirely absurd.

Also, the film doesn't even need to be bad to think that a mistake was made. A person can genuinely enjoy the film and still think Marvel made a mistake because they think the movie could have been even better with the original director at the helm.

I'm guessing you read a lot of Sylvia Plath.

Lots of circular logic up there. When you stack the +'s vs. the -'s with the outcome of this film, any rational person would find it as a positive.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you read a lot of Sylvia Plath.

I don't know who that is.

Lots of circular logic up there.

There are no examples of circular logic in that post.

When you stack the +'s vs. the -'s with the outcome of this film, any rational person would find it as a positive.

That's not how enjoying or critiquing movies works.

For starters, what constitutes a plus or a minus is at least half subjective. Additionally, enjoyment or critique of a film doesn't come down to basic math. Movies aren't a basic math equation where you tally up the good and the bad and see what you have more of at the end. Movies are complex and organic entities, and watching a movie is an intensely personal experience. You can have 98% "good" elements, but that "bad" 2% completely taints everything else and causes the whole structure to collapse. Conversely, you can have 98% "bad" elements, but have 2% of "good" elements that are so strong or are executed in just the right way that it completely elevates the piece. Also, "goodness" and "badness" is not a simple binary state. It's a huge shifting four dimensional spectrum, with a huge swath of "meh" in the middle. One could argue, in fact, that most "bad" movies are not truly bad, simply banal to an extent that most viewers are not willing to tolerate.

And again, like I said, it is possible to genuinely enjoy a movie and still think that the studio made a mistake, because you think the other path they could have gone down would have resulted in an even better movie. People feel that way about movies all the time. Heck, I feel that way about The Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron. I love both films, but I see where Marvel could have made them even better, and I do wish that had happened.

To say that any rational person would look at the outcome of this film and see it as a positive is an extremely reductive view of the moviegoing experience.

EDIT: Also, I just looked up Sylvia Plath, and I really don't see what a proto-feminist 20th century American poet has to do with what I wrote in that post, unless it's a reference to the thematic nature of her poetry and I'm not seeing the connection.

Last edited:
I don't know who that is.

There are no examples of circular logic in that post.

That's not how enjoying or critiquing movies works.

For starters, what constitutes a plus or a minus is at least half subjective. Additionally, enjoyment or critique of a film doesn't come down to basic math. Movies aren't a basic math equation where you tally up the good and the bad and see what you have more of at the end. Movies are complex and organic entities, and watching a movie is an intensely personal experience. You can have 98% "good" elements, but that "bad" 2% completely taints everything else and causes the whole structure to collapse. Conversely, you can have 98% "bad" elements, but have 2% of "good" elements that are so strong or are executed in just the right way that it completely elevates the piece. Also, "goodness" and "badness" is not a simple binary state. It's a huge shifting four dimensional spectrum, with a huge swath of "meh" in the middle. One could argue, in fact, that most "bad" movies are not truly bad, simply banal to an extent that most viewers are not willing to tolerate.

And again, like I said, it is possible to genuinely enjoy a movie and still think that the studio made a mistake, because you think the other path they could have gone down would have resulted in an even better movie. People feel that way about movies all the time. Heck, I feel that way about The Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron. I love both films, but I see where Marvel could have made them even better, and I do wish that had happened.

To say that any rational person would look at the outcome of this film and see it as a positive is an extremely reductive view of the moviegoing experience.

EDIT: Also, I just looked up Sylvia Plath, and I really don't see what a pro to-feminist 20th century American poet has to do with what I wrote in that post, unless it's a reference to the thematic nature of her poetry and I'm not seeing the connection.
It's almost like you post just to sound smarter and be contrarian to everyone else's opinion. It gets old.

It's almost like you post just to sound smarter and be contrarian to everyone else's opinion. It gets old.

Or, maybe it's because I genuinely believe the things I'm saying and I am voicing my opinions on a discussion board because that is literally the only purpose of a discussion board.

From what I've read so far, I concur.

But if I concur it means I might also not concur due to being a complex organic entity. I simply cannot be relegated to a binary mind state. :awesome:

Last edited:
From what I've read so far, I concur.

Well, seeing as I'm the expert on the subject, I can tell you that you're wrong.

But if I concur it means I might also not concur due being a complex organic entity. I simply cannot be relegated to a binary mind state. :awesome:

That's not analogous to anything I said. You just used some of the same words in a completely unrelated context.

Or, maybe it's because I genuinely believe the things I'm saying and I am voicing my opinions on a discussion board because that is literally the only purpose of a discussion board.
It doesn't help that a lot of your posts feel like they're condescending other people and their opinions because they don't judge movies the same way your mind does. You come off like a film snob who's opinion matters more than the rest of the lot because you're looking for something deeper while they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"