Saints Row 2

Only gripe I ever had with GTA4 was that it was waay too repeditive, 85% (give or take) was basicly an assasination mission (Nico goes to some guy, he tells you to kill some guy he has beef with. One of two things usualy happen, the target usualy has an army of guards hanging around or the target gets away and you have to chase him around the city.) It was no surprise that the "Three Leaf Clover" mission was consitered by a lot of people as the best mission. It didn't involve clappin people as it's main objective. SR had a lot more mission variety than just "Go kill this guy."

And what's the deal bashin/dimissing a game before it's even out, or overhyping a game before it's reliease no matter how proven the developer is. At any given time a game could disappoint (DMC2 anyone?) or suprise you at how good it is. (DMC3, after DMC2 flopped)

shouldnt this be in the Misc, section since its a multiplatform title?

And what's the deal bashin/dimissing a game before it's even out

Well, in this case you look at its predecessor and note how shallow the game is. You then take what you know about the upcoming game, note all the surface improvements and then come to the conclusion that the next game will only have more crap yet still just as shallow. This game will only serve as to hold off those who really really love the "open ended crime saga's" until the GTA IV DLC comes out.

You'll be absolutely alone on that one, well besides the other few oddballs.

Right, but playing as a silent gangster with no name is relateable?????

Only if you don't know what the hell you are doing

Easy solution for a really picky and completely asinine problem:
Take the game online, explore all ya want through the free roam, there are no restrictions.

Yet NO one played it, but GTA IV is the most played game through Live, hmm what happened there? Oh, i know, Rockstar made online actually fun.

Saints Row just happened to release a next gen "gta" first, albeit a very shallow version of a "gta". Saints Row 2 will be no different and COMPLETELY overshadowed by GTA IV and its forth coming expansions.

Ask GTAIII, the main character in saints row had more dialogue than the main character did in GTA III even in four lines he had more dialogue

I understand you don't like SR, but why the trolling, thats all this has been imo, I mean I have GTA IV and Saints Row and I actually put GTAIV down to go back to playing Saints Row and now that I have finished with Saints Row I am going back to GTAIV, at the end of the day we all play games just because we want to have fun, and we want to pass time, I am not saying either game is better, I'm saying I like both and the this game is better no this game is bull is a waste of time. So why argue when we can all just go back to playing games and having a good time.

for the record, I am buying SR2 also.

Hate to sound like a "They started it" kind of person but...They started it.

From the get go, GTA4 fans (maybe fanboys?) started off with comments about how the Rockstar game is better. And why SR sucks. There are even comments, if you go back to read like "Saints Row is only good because it's like GTA".

Or maybe it's good because you like the genre. For the record, "redefining" is not "creating". GTA may have made a lot of contributions towards Sandbox or "free roam" gaming but it did not create it and is not the end all be all of it.

The game is good. It will be a fun game and does not have to be compared with anything else. Who cares if one game came out first? I don't see people going "Pffft...DVD? VHS? I use Beta"

Also notice in my previous comments and even still I'm giving GTA respect while the GTA4 fan[boys] are trashing Saints Row.

Hate to sound like a "They started it" kind of person but...They started it.

From the get go, GTA4 fans (maybe fanboys?) started off with comments about how the Rockstar game is better. And why SR sucks. There are even comments, if you go back to read like "Saints Row is only good because it's like GTA".

Or maybe it's good because you like the genre. For the record, "redefining" is not "creating". GTA may have made a lot of contributions towards Sandbox or "free roam" gaming but it did not create it and is not the end all be all of it.

The game is good. It will be a fun game and does not have to be compared with anything else. Who cares if one game came out first? I don't see people going "Pffft...DVD? VHS? I use Beta"

Also notice in my previous comments and even still I'm giving GTA respect while the GTA4 fan[boys] are trashing Saints Row.

I agree with the point your making, but why give the trolls that much thought to respond to their crap.

Saints Row is like Point Break.
GTA is like Godfather.

Both movies are good in their own right, but one is clearly the better.

That's the mistake you're making. There is no clearly better when it comes to OPINION. I started this thread to discuss SR and get people who like it psyched about it. And discuss it.

If you do not like it, that's fine. But why come into the thread to trash it with no intention of hearing the other side? I could even understand if you came in and said "I personally did not like the gameplay when I played the game but I am now interested in what improvements will be made for the sequel because that might bring a gamer like me into the mix."

But a lot of you guys aren't even doing that.

And anyway, it's kind of funny that you make that analogy because it kind of proves my point. I actually did not like the Godfather films. I saw them when I was a child and thought they were boring and unrelatable. I'm not italian, I don't care about italian mafia, I had not read the book at that point, and I hate pasta. I would have given it a 3/10 when I saw it.

However, I would not be unwilling to give it a second chance or have someone explain to me WHY I should give it a second chance.

That's the mistake you're making. There is no clearly better when it comes to OPINION. I started this thread to discuss SR and get people who like it psyched about it. And discuss it.

If you do not like it, that's fine. But why come into the thread to trash it with no intention of hearing the other side? I could even understand if you came in and said "I personally did not like the gameplay when I played the game but I am now interested in what improvements will be made for the sequel because that might bring a gamer like me into the mix."

But a lot of you guys aren't even doing that.

Did I trash it? I said both are good, but it's obvious which game has more merit. Saints is a fun time and all, but GTA is art.

Yes. Comments like that, even if the insults are hidden, are trashing it. Saying GTA is art is saying that SR is not. Again, art is in the eyes of the beholder.

EDIT:

Define merit, please. Numbers and sales do not a "artwork" make. A game isn't better because it's first or has more sales. I can't be more clear about this. Maybe SHF was right about you guys just saying this stuff for ****s and giggles. I didn't think anyone would troll in a topic that began so non-threateningly

we live in a world where TDK fanboys are still trolling the iron man and hulk boards, even after the film has been released as long as it has, some people just dont have anything better to do.

Yes. Comments like that, even if the insults are hidden, are trashing it. Saying GTA is art is saying that SR is not. Again, art is in the eyes of the beholder.

EDIT:

Define merit, please. Numbers and sales do not a "artwork" make. A game isn't better because it's first or has more sales. I can't be more clear about this. Maybe SHF was right about you guys just saying this stuff for ****s and giggles. I didn't think anyone would troll in a topic that began so non-threateningly

I never said anything about sales. I'm talking about craftsmanship.

I said plenty of times that I loved the original Saints Row, I played it for like a year straight, just messing around in it. But to say that you think Saints is better crafted and ranked up there with games like MGS4, Half Life 2, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mass Effect, is just plain ignorance.

I am talking about games as an art-form, not games as a hooting good time. GTAIV creates a fully realized world, fully realized characters, impressive graphics and physics all wrapped up inside of a fantastic story. The original Saints, does not. I suspect Saints 2, with the addition of things like streaking, will not either.

I have no idea why you are so defensive of this. Saints Row is fun, I had a lot of fun with the game. It'd be awesome if you could actually have a discussion with me instead of constantly saying I'm trolling, just because I don't agree with you.

I said plenty of times that I loved the original Saints Row, I played it for like a year straight, just messing around in it. But to say that you think Saints is better crafted and ranked up there with games like MGS4, Half Life 2, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mass Effect, is just plain ignorance.

I am talking about games as an art-form, not games as a hooting good time. GTAIV creates a fully realized world, fully realized characters, impressive graphics and physics all wrapped up inside of a fantastic story. The original Saints, does not. I suspect Saints 2, with the addition of things like streaking, will not either.

I have no idea why you are so defensive of this. Saints Row is fun, I had a lot of fun with the game. It'd be awesome if you could actually have a discussion with me instead of constantly saying I'm trolling, just because I don't agree with you.

Mass effect and MGS4 are awesome played both. I dont think gtaIV is quite in either of their leagues.

as for the topic, I dont play games for art, I play them for a hooting good time. as you put it, so I'm a little defensive, about games I enjoy.

I'm only saying you're trolling because you keep ignoring the points I make. You are stating OPINIONS as facts.

No game is a definite "GREAT" game, okay? Can you understand that? There are people that say MGS4 sucks, there is nothing wrong with them. You are saying that SR sucks, your opinion is OKAY. I am glad you are willing to share your opinion. But it is just that, only an opinion. I am not defensive against your opinion, I'm defensive against your stating it as if it's TRUE.

Your OPINION is not TRUE it is not WRONG it is an opinion, okay?

So stop talking about art and brilliance vs. ignorance and "great games". All of these things are subjective.

If you could acknowledge what I'm saying and at least go "oooohhh okay well I had more fun, playing GTA4" then THAT would be awesome.

Look I'll do it for you...

Silverstein as Geo7877 said:
Saints Row was a fun game, I'm not denying that. As I said before, I said plenty of times that I loved the original Saints Row, I played it for like a year straight, just messing around in it. But overall, I felt that there was something in the gameplay that didn't make it "amazing" for me.
I mean GTA has similar features, but GTA takes it self a little more seriously, in my opinion. In terms of craftsmanship, I feel that GTA is more like Game of the Year material than Saints Row would ever be. For these reasons:

*He lists several reasons*

And it's not about money. Half Life, Mario, Mass Effect and Metal Gear all had huge companies backing them and the games look more professional because of that...

Okay that part is confusing. I can't even explain how you'd try to rationalize that part. You're saying it's about craftsmanship and not about money or sales but you keep listing "popular" games made by huge rich companies. Honestly, do you see how that is contradicting?

But anyway, if you care about craftsmanship and not about money then if you admitted the gameplay is fun then what the hell are you talking about? You want me to take you seriously but it doesn't make sense..

And you still never answered my question...DEFINE MERIT! Give me your definition of CRAFT!

Because this is what I'm getting right now.

Great gameplay = Companies (time + effort)
Time + Effort = Craftmanship, merit
Great Gameplay= Player having fun

But Player having fun does not equal great gameplay? WTF...You, not me, this is what YOU are essentially telling me. And instead of clarifying what you are talking about you just keep reinstating more confusing versions of the same few sentences.

So for the last god damn time that I will try to put forth effort into carrying about what you have to say before I just see you as screwing with me..

ART is in the ****ing eyes of the beholder!!! Stop calling **** art while saying that other things are not in the same categorey!!

Volition has put countless hours into making every inch of the city interactive. More so than GTA4 with more vehicles, weapons, characters, options and interactivity. THQ is doing EVERYTHING possible to make fans happy. From cut-off gloves to airplanes..People on the team have died making the game.

You have ZERO right to say that it is not art when you have not done ANY research into what this game is all about.

I have been researching every waking detail of this game for years. I have followed BOTH games and have 100% completion on SR. I didn't just screw around, I beat EVERY task in the entire game.

And you're trying to make me look like I'm attacking you because you disagree? Are you mad? Screw Saints row 2...you don't have to like it! Just stop insulting the game with subtle "it's not art" it's not it's not.....You don't know what it is!! You have no idea!

You're smart. You are reasonable. That's why I've conversed with you this far. (If you were in person I would shake you for this part), PLEASE try to understand what I'm saying!

You, me, no one can quantify what is perfectly crafted or art when it's all subjective towards what you want in a game.

Oh and I failed. See, I can admit when I'm wrong. I failed in trying to take your side for you at the beginning of this post. Only you can do it. But you have to stop ignoring the point of what I'm telling you.

For the last bloody time, stop stating opinions as facts! The games you like are games that I do not care about or wish to play. I can only repeat myself if we continue like this. You are not the emperor of art and craftsmanship!

I'm only saying you're trolling because you keep ignoring the points I make. You are stating OPINIONS as facts.

No game is a definite "GREAT" game, okay? Can you understand that? There are people that say MGS4 sucks, there is nothing wrong with them. You are saying that SR sucks, your opinion is OKAY. I am glad you are willing to share your opinion. But it is just that, only an opinion. I am not defensive against your opinion, I'm defensive against your stating it as if it's TRUE.

Your OPINION is not TRUE it is not WRONG it is an opinion, okay?

So stop talking about art and brilliance vs. ignorance and "great games". All of these things are subjective.

If you could acknowledge what I'm saying and at least go "oooohhh okay well I had more fun, playing GTA4" then THAT would be awesome.

Look I'll do it for you...

Seriously, man, when have I said that Saints Row sucks? Please show me. You say I keep ignoring your points, but you keep making stuff up.

Greatness is not subjective. If you don't think Van Gogh or Da Vinci are great artists, then you don't know what art is. If you can't understand how brilliant To Kill a Mockingbird or Of Mice and Men are, then you don't understand literature. If you can't see how fantastic The Godfather (Which I know you can't :o) and 2001 are, then you don't understand what makes a well crafted film. What you like is subjective, that's why it's what you like. But, you can not like Godfather and still see why it's a fantastic film.

It's fine and all to prefer something less remarkable. I love Stephen King, I'd read a King book over any written anything, that doesn't mean I think he's one of the greatest writers of all time. I have the sense to know the difference between what I like and what makes something brilliant. That's the distinction I've been trying to explain to you.

What, in your humble opinion, is the best game of all time?

That, was an excellent post. And now I understand what you were trying to say. I really didn't believe that you had anything...but that makes sense. So I apologize for getting so angry. I thought you were ignoring me.

You're saying that an opinion is separate from a general greatness. But you still have not established how SR does not fit into that greatness especially since you claim that it is not about money, popularity, or status of a company.

To answer your question (even though you still have not answered mine), I would not make a statement to say that one game is the best game of all time. I think that would be the difference between us from the get-go.

Survival Horror: I like Resident Evil, sure there are better made games or whatever but that's one I like. Wouldn't say it was the best EVER because it would contradict other "best evers" in that sense.
Sports: I hate sports games because I'm not fat or 30. I can go outside and play a sport I like.
Racing: Never got into them, but I hear Forza, Grand Turismo and NFS are good ones..
Fighting: I've always liked Street Fighter series...over all other fighters. But again I wouldn't say it was the best fighting game ever. In fact, I have a LOT of problems with Capcom. (And you know what they are, Capcom!! I know you got those letters! Damn bastards..)

And so on....I like different series and I like different games. Yes, Da Vinci is amazing and art is art. BUT just as you said above "What you like is subjective, that's why it's what you like." YOU like certain things that you deem are classic. Just as you are being highly arrogant to say that others have to accept your view or else they're ignorant or unaware or whatever.

To Kill a Mockingbird was great because of popularity, it became famous. There are several other books from the era that display lifestyles of the time and speak about the harshness of the depression, while telling a coherent storyline. Of mice and men is one of my favorite books "of all time" and...well that book is just amazing. That and All Quiet on the Western Front. But I digress.

To summarize the point of this post:

The best way to describe art forms is to use music as an example. People talk about Van Halen and White Snake and other bands by calling them "classic", and sure they may have inspired many but so did Britney Spears. She is not and should never be "classic" or "art" but to many worldwide she is.

Shakespeare, Mary Shelley, H.P. Lovecraft, Shel Silverstein, Tim O'Brien, etc..They should all be under the "you should read this" categorey. But as you said "Greatness is not subjective". You're right. No it's not but what an individual deems as great is. Your individual, or even group views, have no bearing on the overall reality.

I could have summarized this entire thread by using one word. "Religion".

Many different group and individual views do not change or make what has to be your views. And thus it is with great games, great music, great art.

Just because your teacher told you that TKaM and OMaM are great does not mean they are. And you're just plain wrong. It does NOT mean that the person does not understand literature. Or anything is wrong with them.

I don't like Godfather, I don't see how it could be a good film. I understand films and film making just as much as you do or more. You are not elite or better because you like something that 10,000 others do too. If anything it just makes you a conformist.

I've met so many like you too...

"Dude Metallica is awesome!"
No, no they aren't I only like about 2 or 3 of there songs if that many. I think the third one isn't even them...Eh. I like Fall Out Boy better.
"FOB?! Pfft dude, you're gay! You don't understand what music is about. Metallica like created rock man!"
No they didn't. There are just as many musicians that didn't listen to them as ones who did. As influencial as they may be, they are just people with ideas.
"Metallica IS music, if you don't like metallica..."
If I don't like Metallica, then I don't like Metallica. That's it. I have no lesser understanding of music because I disagree with you

(Which again makes it funny that you tried to say I'm insulting you because I disagree..Who's the one who supposedly is ignorant? Oh right you said that was me because I disagree with stuff YOU like and Stuff YOU deem as classic...)

Man, it'd be great if you weren't such an elitist conformist. We can't even have makeup sex after an argument like this. Can we just agree to disagree? I don't really feel like trying to get you to open your eyes (nor do I think I can in the mere confines of text and interwebs) and you probably feel the same way from your side.

Hey at least, you've given me a reason to have a lot of respect for you...:woot:

Heh the summary is longer than the first part...But yeah *extends hand* agree to disagree. I think Saints Row is ART and SR2 is like the da vinci of games. Think what you want just please don't come into an SR thread to insult it. Saying that it is not art is insulting to me because I'm saying that it is.[The previous line is HIIIIIIIiiiiiIIIIIGHLY generalizing the situation here] Kay?

You are not elite or better because you like something that 10,000 others do too. If anything it just makes you a conformist.

I think that line summed up your entire thought process. Or maybe ur just emo, i dont know, but that line makes you seem as if you are one of those consumers who sees an incredibly, wildy popular franchise and refuses to like it because its so wildy popular. Maybe its why you think so highly of Saints Row? I think Geo has stated very clearly why its not a "great" game. Fun? Hell yes. On par with a Bioshock, MGS4 or a GTA IV? No, not quite.

Like Geo, i spent hours with SR, just collecting cars and modding em up, but i never looked at the game as anything more than mindless fun. Games like GTA IV, games that do an incredible job getting you to think more of mindless fun are just on a level of their own. Not to say those games like SR aren't worthy of ones time, i mean i own a handful of titles that ill just throw into my system to goof around with, but i never spend the time with them as i do the AAA titles like a Metal Gear Solid 4.

I think that line summed up your entire thought process. Or maybe ur just emo, i dont know, but that line makes you seem as if you are one of those consumers who sees an incredibly, wildy popular franchise and refuses to like it because its so wildy popular. Maybe its why you think so highly of Saints Row? I think Geo has stated very clearly why its not a "great" game. Fun? Hell yes. On par with a Bioshock, MGS4 or a GTA IV? No, not quite.

Like Geo, i spent hours with SR, just collecting cars and modding em up, but i never looked at the game as anything more than mindless fun. Games like GTA IV, games that do an incredible job getting you to think more of mindless fun are just on a level of their own. Not to say those games like SR aren't worthy of ones time, i mean i own a handful of titles that ill just throw into my system to goof around with, but i never spend the time with them as i do the AAA titles like a Metal Gear Solid 4.

That seems like the most likely scenario.

view me however you want to, you guys are too arrogant to see it how it is...

Well, whenever we leave this thread, it's going to die. We're helping advertise the game, see?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"