Salt

Kurt Wimmer has a long month or two ahead of him.

And I'm still surprised that Tom Cruise left. The story, character... all sounded so akin to him as an actor.
That's really what my feelings were as well...plus he's been attached so long, it sucks to see it fall apart.

:dry:.......I guess that needs it's own thread.....I can barely contain my excitement......

Yeah, I really can't see him doing that, but I could be wrong....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26180493/from/id/26183284

Angelina Jolie might be many things, but she is not a “replacement” for Tom Cruise in the upcoming spy thriller “Edwin A. Salt,” as many outlets have reported.

According to a source close to the film, the studio did want Cruise in the lead role, but the actor passed.

“This story about Jolie taking over is completely false ... this started with an inaccurate report months ago that said (Cruise) was taking the role,” says the source. “They courted him for almost a year for this movie. He considered it but passed.”

The source says a legitimate announcement about Cruise’s next film could come sooner rather than later. “He’s been offered many roles in the past few months. We’re sure to see news about the next project soon.”

I don't know, but I don't think Variety would announce Angelina joining the film had it not had some truth to it.

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/908/908719p1.html

Jolie Running Out of Salt?
IGN has the scoop on the espionage thriller.
by Jim Vejvoda

US, September 9, 2008 - IGN Movies has learned from a trusted source that Oscar winner Angelina Jolie may not star in the Columbia Pictures espionage thriller Edwin A. Salt after all.

Jolie replaced Tom Cruise as the lead in the Phillip Noyce-directed project, which would have required the script to be retooled to accommodate the gender change for the main character -- a CIA agent accused of being a Russian defector. The title would also have to be changed.

We've been informed that Jolie may have to drop out due to the needs of her newborn twins and thus might not be able to meet the picture's start date. While it's not official yet, Jolie's departure from Salt certainly appears likely.

If Jolie does indeed drop out of the project then the studio is expected to go back out to male stars for the title role. Columbia is said to be committed to making the movie, which aims to begin filming in February.

So they would change the screenplay around again for a male star? I'm confused. :huh:

isn't it time to change the title of this thread, since Cruise is no longer involved with this movie?

i think it about be safe to just call it Edwin A. Salt. And apparently, according to this article, he didn't seem interested with it all.

I just wonder what a script it is, if so many people firstly run to star in it and then quickly leave it alone on a shelf.

Update : An official source tells us that the new name of the movie is simply, "SALT".

Despite reports that she was no longer attached, Moviehole has confirmed that Angelina Jolie has now officially signed onto Phil Noyce's "Edwin A. Salt" - or is it "Edwina A. Salt"?. Pre-production has commenced, with a projected shoot date of February 16th, 2009.

The fictional film centers on a CIA officer who is fingered as a Russian sleeper spy. She eludes capture by superiors who are convinced she is out to assassinate the president. While trying to reunite with her family, she struggles to prove someone else is the traitor.

Source: http://www.moviehole.net/200815735-jolies-a-lock-for-salt

I like the new name. :up:

he studio's hope is for Cruise to play the title character, a CIA officer who is fingered by a defector as a Russian sleeper spy

whats that bit all about

Angelina Jolie has confirmed that she will replace Tom Cruise in the espionage thriller Edwin A. Salt.

Asked in an interview with BBC Radio on Monday about her next film project, she said, "I'm working on a film called Salt. And it's with [Bone Collector director] Phillip Noyce. And that's it."

Look back at Angelina Jolie's famous on-screen roles.

It had first been reported in August that Jolie was in talks for the role after Cruise dropped out. Writers had reworked the lead character -- a CIA officer falsely accused of being a Russian agent -- to be female.

In a separate BBC News interview last week, Jolie said she returns to work in February in February, but after that, she won't work for a year.

"I like being home a lot," the mother of six said. "First and foremost, I have a lot of children, and I need to make sure they're growing right and they've got us there for them."

See cute photos of Angelina Jolie and her kids.

She said she plans to "fade away" from acting in the years to come.

Said the star, "I'm not so worried that I want to keep this pace up and try to be something and be a celebrity."

http://www.usmagazine.com/news/angelina-jolie-confirms-she-will-replace-tom-cruise-in-spy-flick

And now Liev Schreiber is up for a role in the film:

UPDATE ! A small update on yesterday's "Liev joins SALT story". We now have details of his character : He'll be playing Ted Winter, Evelyn Salt's friend and colleague in the CIA.

Liev Schreiber is in talks to join Angelina Jolie in the action-thriller "Salt".

The movie, which starts filming next month in New York City, sees Jolie play the title character, a CIA officer who’s accused by a defector of being a Russian sleeper spy and must elude capture long enough to establish her innocence.

We're told Schreiber, next seen in "X-Men Origins : Wolverine", is up for a "major role" in the picture.

The film reunites Jolie with her "Bone Collector" director Phillip Noyce.
Source: http://www.moviehole.net/200917770-schreiber-eyes-salt

^^^ Good addition, glad to see him getting more high profile roles.

I'm thinking a title change for this thread is long overdue. ;)

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=53004

Liev Schreiber Joins Jolie in Salt
Source: ComingSoon.net
February 18, 2009

Variety has confirmed a Moviehole scoop that Liev Schreiber (upcoming X-Men Origins: Wolverine) is in talks to star opposite Angelina Jolie in the spy thriller Salt for Columbia Pictures. Moviehole also says that Chiwetel Ejiofor has joined the cast.

The story centers on Evelyn Salt, a CIA officer who is fingered as a Russian sleeper spy. She eludes capture by superiors who are convinced she is out to assassinate the president. While trying to reunite with her family, she struggles to prove someone else is the traitor.

Schreiber will play Salt's boss and friend on the Russian desk at the CIA.

The Phillip Noyce-directed film begins shooting next month in New York.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Sunil Perkash are producing; Ric Kidney and Mark Vahradian executive produce.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118000491.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Chiwetel Ejiofor joins Noyce's 'Salt'
Jolie, Schreiber co-star in spy thriller

Chiwetel Ejiofor will star with Angelina Jolie and Liev Schreiber in "Salt," the Phillip Noyce-directed Columbia Pictures spy thriller.

Ejiofor will play Peabody, a young CIA agent who works for Winter (Schreiber), the mentor of Evelyn Salt (Jolie), an agent fingered as a Russian sleeper spy. With Peabody in hot pursuit, she must clear her name and figure out the identity of the real spy.

Pic begins production next month in Gotham.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Sunil Perkash are producing, and Ric Kidney and Mark Vahradian are exec producers. Kurt Wimmer wrote the script.

Ejiofor just worked for Col, starring in the Roland Emmerich-directed "2012." He last starred in the David Mamet-directed "Redbelt" for Sony Pictures Classics.

Glad to see production for this is ramping up. It seems like there are quite a few good projects getting ready to jump in front of a camera in the next month or so.

First Look at Angelina Jolie in Salt

2r389xs.jpg

34sfcjs.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back