Iron Man 2 Sam Rockwell is Justin Hammer

Chewy

REDACTED
Reaction score
Since that other thread turned mostly to Rourke discussion, I figure Rockwell deserves his own thread. Sounds like he's 100% on-board

Earlier this month, we brought you word that Sam Rockwell and Mickey Rourke were in talks to appear in “Iron Man 2″ — possibly as the pair of villains Justin Hammer and the Crimson Dynamo. Now, Rockwell is ready to talk about his confirmed turn toward super-villainy and expressed excitement in an exclusive interview with MTV News.

According to Rockwell, “Iron Man” director Jon Favreau originally considered casting him for the role of Tony Stark in the first film, but he’s now on board to appear as Justin Hammer, a staunch corporate rival for Stark, in “Iron Man 2

“We had a phone conversation about it, and then I didn’t hear anything and that was it,” Rockwell told MTV of early conversations regarding the part that eventually went to Robert Downey Jr. One blockbuster film later, the phone conversation was accompanied by an offer to play Hammer, and Rockwell accepted.

“They were like, we don’t have a script but this is the deal and this is the character,” the actor told MTV.

Rockwell had plenty of reason to follow the events in Favreau’s film, even if he wasn’t cast the first time around.

“I was a fan of the movie,” he explained. “My girlfriend was in the first ‘Iron Man,’ Leslie Bibb.” (Bibb played reporter and Tony Stark’s quick fling Christine Everheart.)

Mixed signals flew around about Rockwell’s place in the new script when his involvement was first announced, but he acknowledged that he will be playing the part of straight-from-the-comics businessman and all-around bad guy Justin Hammer.

“Yeah, he’s a rival,” Rockwell nodded. “He takes over all the weapons stuff after Tony’s left.”

However, the “Choke” and “Frost/Nixon” actor shied when pressed for any more story details.

“I don’t know if he takes over Stark Industries,” he said. “I’m not really sure yet. He’s a money dude. That’s about all I can say.”

Asked if he would be excited to work with Golden Globe winning star of “The Wrestler” Mickey Rourke, Rockwell didn’t even need to think about it. “Yes,” he stated. “I never have met him. I’ve seen him a couple times.”

Though Rockwell stopped short of confirming Rourke’s casting.

“Is Mickey cast yet? I hope so,” he told MTV.

Predictions have Rourke stepping in to play either the Crimson Dynamo or Whiplash. And i all goes well, Rockwell expects to be on the “Iron Man 2″ set by spring.

“Mid-April maybe,” he estimates. “In L.A., I think.”
SOURCE

^Good stuff, thanks for posting. And props to MTV for the quotes and confirmation.

aha, so hes definitely Hammer. Thats cool and all I was just really hoping he was Hawkeye. Its still Rockwell, the most underused talent in Hollywood, in Iron Man 2 so thats cool.

Didnt know he was dating Bibb.

Didnt know he was considered for Tony Stark either. RDJ was definitely the way to go, but Rockwell would have been cool too.

Good to hear. I wonder if they'll have Hammer be Tony's age or if he'll be playing an older, more comics accurate gent. I guess we'll see soon enough.

im betting that hammer will be more Starks peer than older.

They can always age him up a bit with the makeup. There may be some Tim Robbins flashbacks in there... so I don't know who they'll use in those scenes. Wouldn't make sense if Hammer was a big player back in Howard Stark's days if he is a young character in this flick. They could go either way.

Why are we talking about age makeup? For all we know this might be a different younger take on the character?

Also, I guess this is a circumstance where accepting a role without reading the script is OK ;) .

Did you read what Fat TOnie said. He said Rockwell could be playing Hammer in 2 different generations as a rival to both Stark's father and Stark, an interesting speculation

I think there's a reason they cast someone who had been considered for Tony Stark as Justin Hammer. It sounds like Rockwell's Hammer will be portrayed as the anti-Stark.

Honestly, Robert Downey Jr. aside, I can never picture Rockwell as Tony Stark. He's too much of a character actor.

Hopefully Rockwell's performance will redeem himself for his poor Zaphod.

Sounds very interesting. I'm really looking foward to this now. Since Hammer is running the weapons stuff he will probably be buying arms and weapons from the Russians. Which is where the ultimate weapon comes in: Crimson Dynamo.

Very cool stuff. And with Black Widow in, it could be very spy like. I'm getting a modern technological From Russia With Love with a superhero twist vibe here. Does that sound really cool to anyone else?

Sounds very interesting. I'm really looking foward to this now. Since Hammer is running the weapons stuff he will probably be buying arms and weapons from the Russians. Which is where the ultimate weapon comes in: Crimson Dynamo.

Very cool stuff. And with Black Widow in, it could be very spy like. I'm getting a modern technological From Russia With Love with a superhero twist vibe here. Does that sound really cool to anyone else?

Indeed. :up:

I just cant wait to find out who is playing Hawkeye, if he is actually in the movie.

Read about it an hour ago--good news :woot:

This thing is freakin ROLLIN- Stark drove Hammer to damnnear maddness
I luvit

^I thought it was the other way around?

^I thought it was the other way around?

Yea, but Hammer has his own thing goin and he just wouldn't leave Tony alone about bein the only armor manufac around...got obsessed w/ it...I think he got Force goin before he became a good guy didn't he...

Yeah, then Hammer murdered him by sabotaging his armor.

Unfortunately I can't this time. I'm going back to my career as a truck driver in February(my licencse has been suspended for 3 years due to tickets), so I'll rarely get to a computer to post on here(like once every 2-3 weeks). But I'm sure some other industrious individual will take up the challenge.

Unfortunately I can't this time. I'm going back to my career as a truck driver in February(my licencse has been suspended for 3 years due to tickets), so I'll rarely get to a computer to post on here(like once every 2-3 weeks). But I'm sure some other industrious individual will take up the challenge.

I get my regular lic back tomorrow after 3+ years of living in the rear view, non payment of tickets...I FEEL YOU...well right on man:word: be safe.

^Thanks. I'll still be around here for 2-3 more weeks though. Not going quite just yet.

Honestly, Robert Downey Jr. aside, I can never picture Rockwell as Tony Stark. He's too much of a character actor.

Hopefully Rockwell's performance will redeem himself for his poor Zaphod.
I like his Zaphod. And I think he's a terrific actor, and probably at Marvel they think it too as he was considered for both Banner and Blonsky too.

^He could've made a great Stark or Banner. Keep up the good casting choices Marvel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"