Scenes in Man of Steel that where inspired by the Comics and Animation

Smashlilman

Ouch!!!!
Reaction score
It looks like Snyder was busy going through the Superman archives. Just look at how many similarities you can find in Man of steel that actually match up the pages and scene in a variety of Comics and Animations. If you can can find any more post them here. Describe them if you can't find any scans. Here are of the ones that I've found.

Zod punching Superman in the gut and sending him sliding across the ground on his knees.
Iz2TEog.gif

superman-vs-zod-by-eddy-barrows.jpg

Nam-Ek and Faora tackling Superman mid flight in the comics is similar to an event in the movie. Only in the movie Superman was using Faora like a ragdoll and Nam-Ek was the one doing the tackling.
teopFQ7.gif

war+of+supermen+6.jpg

Zod catching Superman's punch while flying with a shock wave going off during the catch is similar to when Black suit Superman caught Clone superman's fist in the Superman/Doomsday.
9CvdVgI.gif

stmgKxL.gif

Zod throwing Superman by his cape was also similar to Black Suit Superman throwing Clone Superman By his cape.
kDuEKss.gif

xsnfUD1.gif

Last edited:
Here are some more.

Zod and Superman falling from space are similar to Superman and Doomsday falling from space.
sRCqoSc.gif

ve7nW6m.gif

Zod and Superman Falling through the atmosphere while onlookers on the ground look on in awe was similar to when Superman and Doomsday where doing the same.
vbjctmx.gif

7wlN7MK.gif

Last edited:
Someone pointed to this entire scene a few weeks ago

[YT]6BJ1-trrgqc[/YT]

Last edited:
vibb.jpg

Could have been the inspiration for this:

5b4.gif

I can't scan the photos from For Tomorrow, but the meeting between Leone and Supes at the church has a lot of shades from that comic. The only difference is he's not dressed as Superman.

I can't scan the photos from For Tomorrow, but the meeting between Leone and Supes at the church has a lot of shades from that comic. The only difference is he's not dressed as Superman.

This is it right?
clark-church.png

Superman_02.jpg

It wasn't inspired by the comics or animation, but Clark's trip to the north pole is pretty much a reimagining of the sequence from Superman: The Movie. He heads north with a Kryptonian artifact in tow, he uses it to create/enter a Kryptonian structure where he meets a hologram of his long-dead father who tells him who he is and where he's from and why he was sent to Earth, and is then told he will inspire humanity (they only lack the light to show the way/they will join you in the sun), then Clark dons the Superman suit for the first time and flies for the first time.

I know I beat a dead horse when it comes to Donner, but I think people need to realize that those movies are still relevant and that it wasn't just comics and animation that influenced MoS.

Good catch Lead Cenobite.

I'm looking at the movie and seeing some SV references now, but I can't recall which exact episodes. It will come to me eventually.

vibb.jpg

Could have been the inspiration for this:

5b4.gif

Wow ! I didn't think anyone remembered that classic Byrne issue from way back in the 80's. That's the first time Byrne's Superman kills anyone, and actually it's an execution - personally I thought it worked. Nice spotting man !

The scene with Superman fighting the World Engine is very similar to a Brainiac fight in the cartoon. I can't remember if it's from STAS, Brainiac Attacks, or JLU, but it's definitely similar and reminds me of that fight.

Yes....there is a scene in Brianiac Attacks that is almost identical to when Supes is fighting the WE. Ironically enough during the fight he is also weakened by Kryptonite and is feeling the effects from the poison...lol. The sound effects is almost even the same...lol

I know I beat a dead horse when it comes to Donner, but I think people need to realize that those movies are still relevant and that it wasn't just comics and animation that influenced MoS.

Zack Snyder said from the get-go that the Donner films had no influence and they had to act like they never existed when they were making MOS.

Dudes, I must have been living in a cave. just read Superman: Secret Origins, (which Ironically has a foreward by David S. Goyer). While there aren't really direct scenes taken from it, (except maybe where the Kents show Clark the spaceship) there are
heaps and heaps of similarities, especially in those earlier parts.

- the Tornado
-Superman attacked by the Army
- "I want to be your son" (from young Clark to Jonathan Kent)

However, I would say the greatest similarity is the Tone of the book.
Superman is a very human character. Sure there are a lot of differences (no Zod
and Superboy), but the feel of it is very similar.

Geoff Johns is brilliant (I loved what he did with JL, GL and his Batman work)
He builds on so many elements of John Byrne's work from the 80's, and the Donner
films. It kind of bridges the gap between all that source material and Man of Steel.
I hope to heaven they involve him in the next Superman film.

imgres

2ej.gif
w91m.gif
w91m.gifhttp:
t67u.gif
ywdx.gif
[YT]EDWvqyRScuU[/YT]
The anime is called Tetsuwan Birdy (a.k.a. Birdy The Mighty) and apparently was also name dropped by Snyder during an interview while on promo tour in Japan when asked for sources of inspiration regarding the Smallville and Metropolis battle sequences.
2ej.gifhttp:

It looks like Snyder was busy going through the Superman archives. Just look at how many similarities you can find in Man of steel that actually match up the pages and scene in a variety of Comics and Animations. If you can can find any more post them here. Describe them if you can't find any scans. Here are of the ones that I've found.

Zod punching Superman in the gut and sending him sliding across the ground on his knees.
Iz2TEog.gif

superman-vs-zod-by-eddy-barrows.jpg

Nam-Ek and Faora tackling Superman mid flight in the comics is similar to an event in the movie. Only in the movie Superman was using Faora like a ragdoll and Nam-Ek was the one doing the tackling.
teopFQ7.gif

war+of+supermen+6.jpg

Zod catching Superman's punch while flying with a shock wave going off during the catch is similar to when Black suit Superman caught Clone superman's fist in the Superman/Doomsday.
9CvdVgI.gif

stmgKxL.gif

Zod throwing Superman by his cape was also similar to Black Suit Superman throwing Clone Superman By his cape.
kDuEKss.gif

xsnfUD1.gif

Actually the lady in the comic was Ursa not Faora.

This one is more subtle, but it shows that Superman enjoys flying with Zebras

This is really interesting to see where they've drew inspiration from for the film :). Nice catches!

Was This Justice League Cartoon The Blueprint For Zack Snyder’s Superman?
Context is king .

SIDDHANT ADLAKHA said:
A few details to note here: the buildings are completely abandoned, Superman is annoyed with Shazam for naively endorsing Luthor as president, and Luthor has Superman believing there’s a legitimate threat only he can see. What’s stunning here is just how similar it feels to big battle in Man of Steel, from the flying, to punches, to the exploding glass, but what really seems to confirm the clip being used as a visual template is the bit with the bank vault. It’s almost identical! That’s not a bad thing of course. In fact as DC fan I’d want whoever’s making these films to be familiar with as many sources as possible. The real perplexing bit is how it feels like it’s been lifted in a way that completely ignores context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"