Iron Fist Season 1, Episode 2 "Shadow Hawk Takes Flight" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

[BLACKOUT]One thing I didn't understand: why was Colleen training her students how to stalk and attack people? What possible purpose could that serve for self defense?[/BLACKOUT]

This was another bread crumb episode, or at least I hope so. Mysteries are unfolding ect.

I still don't see the huge negatives of the reviews. I do understand it not being as flamboyant in either style or performances the way DD and JJ were (I still maintain that Cage as a show had all the right elements but was a slog to get through). Still, I am engaged and I want to see where it ends up.

Finn as Danny is fine being out of touch and naive to the point it seems he lacks common sense. I actually don't have a problem with that... But it will become a problem if they don't show him having another side, a more cunning and perceptive side. [BLACKOUT] Some of that is on display when he evaded those thugs in the first episode and took them out. There needs to be more of that. [/BLACKOUT]

The reveal of [BLACKOUT]Harold Meachum to Danny seemed too early but I guess they have the cover of Danny thinking it was a drug induced dream[/BLACKOUT].

The doctor[BLACKOUT]of course doesn't believe Danny's story of interdimensional cities and super powers. Who would? Even in the MCU it doesn't seem it's populated with metas ect. the way the books are. These are still incidents that are spread out and far from common. I don't have an issue with it being part of life but still not an "everyday" thing[/BLACKOUT].

I'm still waiting for scenes of Danny as boy training with the Thunderer. I think if they don't do that they are missing out on important opportunities to give depth and meaning to Danny as a character and illuminate important aspects of his back story. Is this a budget issue?

As for the last moments, [BLACKOUT]I LOVED the first use of the iron fist technique. More importantly I loved the way the attack on Rand by the patients obviously hired by Ward to kill him kickstarted his chi, as it were. I was hoping Danny would have been focusing his chi or doing something to rid his system of the effects of the drugs, but he either doesn't know that or won't do that in this version. I hope they explore that his role as IF means he can do more than just fight and punch stuff hard. Still, a nice first use of the power. Harold might want to rethink how he approaches Danny next time. Ward too. [/BLACKOUT]

I liked it more the the first. Wasn't really feeling the disbelief of Danny given how much has happened in the MCU.

[BLACKOUT]One thing I didn't understand: why was Colleen training her students how to stalk and attack people? What possible purpose could that serve for self defense?[/BLACKOUT]

I feel like that was thrown in purely to add an extra fight scene in the others slow-as-hell opening episodes. If you, as a showrunner, feel the need to do that? You really should reconsider your plot.

IMO, it would have been improved if the opening episodes dropped the "crazy dude" angle, and had a somewhat naive but forceful and obviously sane Danny show up, with proof of his identity more or less in hand, to claim his inheritance and return to the world. There's pushback against this, but its not "Your not Danny" but "Your 15 years too late", so you still have the legal fight. You just *also* have assassins come out of the woodworks immediately, trying to kill Danny before this can be resolved. Much punchier opening, with more obvious and meaningful stakes, and allows you to much more clearly display the characters all around.

I liked it more the the first. Wasn't really feeling the disbelief of Danny given how much has happened in the MCU.

Eh, its plausible. Just because there are superhumans and weirdness doesn't mean every crazy shoeless dude is a superhero. Its just, its not a good story decision, because there's no drama. The *audience* already knows he's a superhero, so it comes off as just delaying.

So he walked from China, to Morocco, to fake a passport to come home? No borders in these places or something?
I mean Ultron is publicly known. Vision is publicly known. The public knows that one of the Avengers is technically an alien from another planet. A portal opened up in the sky and aliens attacked New York. A killer robot almost ended the world.

A secret organization of Nazis almost annihilated half the country. You can't just respond to everything with..."are you serious?" "That sounds ridiculous?" anymore.
The doctor said "Ever since the incident" (My God, they should just go out with it and say it as it is; "aliens came to attack and super powered fancy colored people called the Avengers defended us") "people pretended to have powers", mentioning that is good, and he added "I'd like it for you to prove it to me"

Not to mention that I really don't understand what's so far-fetched about missing-and-presumed-dead guy shows up alive years later. We watched Bruce Wayne do it in Batman Begins, we watched Oliver Queen do it in Arrow, but Marvel wants us to think people wouldn't accept this, in OUR world, let alone theirs?
The difference with Bruce and Ollie in those movie and show is that the public saw them go away as adults, saw them return as adults, they looked fancy and well spoken.
Danny was presumed dead as a child, he comes back as an adult in rags and no shoes, he's a little harder to take seriously.

So he walked from China, to Morocco, to fake a passport to come home? No borders in these places or something?
Yeah, it happens a lot, some borders are stricter than others. There's plenty you can walk through without a problem(usually smaller countries. It's not impossible to make you way around the world without a passport. It's not easy or legal most of the time, but definitely possible. The biggest concern is trusting the wrong person to help you out.

Yeah, it happens a lot, some borders are stricter than others. There's plenty you can walk through without a problem(usually smaller countries. It's not impossible to make you way around the world without a passport. It's not easy or legal most of the time, but definitely possible. The biggest concern is trusting the wrong person to help you out.
He had to hike through at least 9 countries to reach Morroco, and from my understanding of that country, it's strict about fake passports and identities.

Being fair, there are a lot of people-smuggling problems that can be "solved" when you are a kung fu master with superpowers. A properly portrayed Danny Rand should have the audience going "Its probably not how he did it, but you know, I actually do believe he *could* walk from China to Morocco".

i just started watching this tonight and watched the first 3 episodes. this was probably my least favorite of the 3, but it was okay. the insane asylum stuff was a bit off, and i understand everyone's arguments over not believing him about his stories. he's been away and he doesn't know about the Incident in New York or all the special beings out there that the common person knows about. but he also spent what? 15 years in a mystical city with monks training, so that's commonplace to him and not odd lol
his social queues are way off because he hasn't experienced society and culture like this since he was a young teenager.

Colleen's my favorite so far. Ward the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"