Strange New Worlds Season 1, Episode 8: "The Elysian Kingdom"

Dr.

From parts unknown
Reaction score
Original stream date: June 23, 2022

Synopsis: The USS Enterprise becomes stuck in a nebula that is home to an alien consciousness that traps the crew in a fairy tale.

snw_mg_108_06_15_21_035984_rt.jpg

Most people probably aren't going to big fans of this episode, but I really enjoyed it. It was heavy on the comedy, but a lot of it I found to be genuinely hilarious at times, especially the stuff with Pike and La'an and my god those scenes with M'Benga and his daughter towards the end pretty much wrecked me emotionally.

Such a bittersweet yet satisfying way to end that arc for that character.

I was hoping they base the fantasy on Rigel 7 that was alluded to in The Cage where Captain Pike rescues Vina as princess.

Not one of my favorit episode but it gave Doc M'Benga and Hemmer the opportunity to be the main protagonistes of the story.

Yeah, I was kinda indifferent towards this one. Generally, I don’t enjoy those wacky Trek episodes where the main characters cosplay and/or live-action-role-play. Indeed, some folks described this outing as a typical “malfunctioning holodeck episode” — just without the holodeck.

Random observations:

* Many fans liked this episode because it reminded them of classic TOS/TNG silliness. I guess that’s a thing… When you reach pop culture dominance, you get to be self-reflexive and meta... :shrug:

I suppose this qualifies as a “bottle episode.” No new sets or SFX needed. Save the money for the bigger, climactic season finale…?

Totally superficial but… IMO, La’an Noonien-Singh has a most unflattering hair style. I assume this is intentional. She’s the tough-as-nails head of security; so let’s not glam her up. However, Christina Chong is a handsome woman — which becomes obvious when she’s allowed to, quite literally, let her hair down. :crso:

It's funny... I always hated these style episodes in TNG. But just the fact that we're afforded this whacky nonsense again made me so happy. Yes, I'm still blown away we have this show.

What helped is that this was genuinely funny in a way the equivalent TNG episodes weren't (IMO). This show, writers and actors included, have a much better sense of humour and the comedy landed for me. Pike's effete character bouncing off Ortega's gung ho action hero, La'an and her spoiled princess with her little dog, importantly all couched by M'Benga's bemusement, drew real laughs from me.

I thought the resolution M'Benga's story with his daughter was done very effectively. Strong performance. But man, he was quick to give her up. Particularly to an alien entity he literally just found out about and has no idea if he can trust. And maybe tonally, capping a story SO light with something SO heavy could've been threaded through better.

Shockingly, a thoroughly enjoyable ep for me.

PS. Yes I'll agree with the good Dr. above-- Christina Chong. :hrt:

Found this a bit boring. Felt like an early season 1 TNG episode rather than an episode of TOS. Something rather 80s about it.

M'Benga isn't the most interesting character and is difficult to listen to since he whispers all the time. He sounds like a dying old man in the desert in need of a drink of water.

Last edited:
This one had the a writer from episode 3. I did wonder what would happen if M'binga ever cured his daughter. Would he leave the ship, is he allowed to have a child on board? So this eliminates that question. Overall yeah just a nothing of an episode. This is a type of episode you would expect to see after a show has been on for a while and they need to mix things up. These seasons nowadays are so short you would think the writers would have too many stories to tell that only the best ones would rise to the top. This just seems like an episode they need to fill the season, which doesn't bode well if they are stuck already.

This one had the a writer from episode 3. I did wonder what would happen if M'binga ever cured his daughter. Would he leave the ship, is he allowed to have a child on board? So this eliminates that question. Overall yeah just a nothing of an episode. This is a type of episode you would expect to see after a show has been on for a while and they need to mix things up. These seasons nowadays are so short you would think the writers would have too many stories to tell that only the best ones would rise to the top. This just seems like an episode they need to fill the season, which doesn't bode well if they are stuck already.

Strong disagree. You want to have a show that is episodic? Guess what, you can't have all of them being super serious all the time. Silly fun episodes are part of Trek. You shouldn't get rid of that part of its DNA because of "prestige television". That was my big issue with Picard season 1.

I swear to god, people have become so addicted to serialized television that they have forgotten how episodic can be great.

Strong disagree. You want to have a show that is episodic? Guess what, you can't have all of them being super serious all the time. Silly fun episodes are part of Trek. You shouldn't get rid of that part of its DNA because of "prestige television". That was my big issue with Picard season 1.

I swear to god, people have become so addicted to serialized television that they have forgotten how episodic can be great.
Well your last statement is just a generalization and has nothing to do with me so. I don't care what it is, a good story is a good story serialized or episodic. Doesn't matter. Does it mean all of them are good, no. There are plenty of episodes of old trek that were just filler, but they at least had like 23 or so episodes a season. So they needed to fill the season. This has what 10 or so episodes this season? And that is split amongst the writers. So it is really like 2 episodes from a writing team, according to the credits that is. The season is running out and there hasn't been any episode I would call a must see.
Honestly would you consider this episode great? Did we need a fantasy episode just so M'binga could dump his kid? They could've done something more with his child. Actually I think this is an excuse to bring her back as a crewman now.

M'Benga seems older here than he does in the original series. And he definitely sounds older and more world weary, as if the life has gone out of him sometimes. I wish they got a younger actor with a stronger voice.

Also, in addition to an early season of TNG, this also felt like one of these frivolous Voyager episodes with Neelix and Naomi Wildman.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but this s*** was pure gold. I would watch a whole show of Pike and Ortega as these characters and their rivalry.

And the ending reminded me of Superman: Birthright's. Which of course got me all emotional.

We dont really get this kind of wacky B grade scifi anymore.

giphy.webp

Ahh, nice to see Rukiya's first fanfic. Complete with non-canon shipping.

The cast was clearly having a blast. And I loved it. Hemmer being the only other one unaffected was great. Of course, got to touch the whimsical fun with a punch to the heart. Only to repeat that punch a few seconds later.

Hopefully Rukiya and Debra are having fun with the koala.

Runa was Christina Chong's actual dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"