Season 2: Episode 3 - "Revenge of the Reach!"

GamerSlyRatchet

Sidekick
Reaction score
Blue Beetle is finally ready for a mission of his own and things go smoothly until he tries to deliver his captured villain to Oa, where he is attacked by the Green Lanterns! Blue's scarab is revealed to be linked to an army of evil aliens known as the Reach--does he have the power to resist their influence

Original Airdate: January 1st, 2010

Pics and Videos:
http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/bravebold/guides/reviews/29revengereach/

Discuss the episode!

very good first time an opening teaser ended to be continued and it was nice to have it start like a CHALENGERS OF THE UNKOWN tv show

This episode had the campiest and silliest intro ever haha! The Challangers of the Unknown! :D I LOVED the ending of the teaser.. We can already see who is going to be one of the main villains of Season 2. ;)

Episode itself, great stuff. From "One Punch!" to Jaime Reyes' inner battle and him becoming a hero who can handle things on hisself. :) Great episode, one of those serious ones with less humour, but really great stuff. Loved to see Kilowogg and G'nort!

I have to giggle about tho, how DC is trying to make Hal Jordan so popular now, yet this show has Guy Gardner. :D But hey even his characterics is getting progressed!

The teaser started out with a TV show intro that introduces to the Challengers of the Unknown. The Challengers investigate a meteor that crashes on Dinosaur Island, only to battle a giant spider alongside Batman. After our hero conviniently leaves, the group opens the meteor...only to be attacked by the Starro aliens that were inside. I loved this teaser, along with the semi-nostalgic feeling it had. Plus, the Starro attack leads to bigger things later on...

As for the main episode, the Blue Beetle struggles on his own mission against space villain Evil Star, but with the help of Paco, defeats the villain. As he takes the villain to Oa, the Green Lantern Corps attacks him, but Batman intervenes. They all find out that his scarab is part of an evil race of aliens known as the Reach, and they are now manipulating Jaime to help them take over Oa. Blue Beetle at first is hostile at everybody, but then realizes the Reach really is taking over him. At the end, he fights off the takeover and ends the take over of the Reach.

The main episode was OK, but nothing really seem to stand-up. I like the character growth of Jaime, and going off on his own. But I guess it is a little tiring to see the same characters again. Same for Guy Gardner. Although he also is developed, and the one-punch recall was hilarious, I would like to see Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, or Alan Scott take the spotlight sometime.

Overall, a decent episode, and this is still a strong season. Other than the Starro tease and the one-punch recall, nothing noteworthy.

4/5

NEXT WEEK: Aquaman tries to take out his family for a vacation. However, he is constantly interrupted by other heroes, including Batman, needing his help. Will Aquaman ever get to relax?

The Challengers of the Unknown inclusion is glorious, as was ...the Starros. :eek:
You know there's a payoff coming there. :up:

I continue to be surprised at how much I like Jaime. He and Bats' interaction is always gold. Some decent Gl cameos there too. Enjoyable stuff overall.

I've always disliked being beaten about the head with a "believe in yourself, you can do it" message and this episode delivered just that. I always enjoy seeing Guy and any GL Corps appearance but there's something that bothered me about The Reach:
They were defeated by the will of a teenaged human but they trounced dozens of Lanterns with strong wills --- who also happened to be armed with a freaking power ring???
I suppose that The Reach wasn't expecting one of their own to double cross them and, given the proper circumstances, just about anyone can be taken down by a sucker punch.
It's just that The Reach were hyped as being badass and then they go down like a 2 dollar thing that goes down easily.
All because Hi-May believed in himself. I like the Blue Beetle III character ( particularly in Night of the Huntress) but the writers shouldn't get too preachy with him. (They pulled the same "underdog" stunt with Tin in Clash of the Metal Men)

my cabnle digital listing has this ep shedule for tomight[feb 12 they mustbe showing reruns due to the olympics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"