Strange New Worlds Season 2 Episode 9 "Subspace Rhapsody"

ok LOVED the opening credits with them singing the theme and not just have it be score.

wow only half into it but dang they are killing it on this I know Christina is an actual singer and it shows her ballad in her quarters was stellar (no pun). Ditto for Celia she was awesome!

Last edited:
Very fun episode with some strong character work. The science behind the musical wasn't super-convincing but that fits with the show's TOS feel.

Not sure if it was intentional or an error that they called the Klingon D7 Battlecruisers "K'Tinga" class. The K'Tinga-class was always the TOS movie era successor to the D7 and should be a couple decades away. Maybe they are retconning the D7 and K'Tinga to be the same class? With the movie K'Tinga just being an updated, refitted version like with their Constitution-class counterparts?

That final scene between Batel and Pike does not bode well. The show teased a Gorn conflict back in the first episode of the season and the season finale title seems to suggest that is what the next episode is about. I have a bad feeling something is going to happen to Batel on her emergency Priority One mission.

That was very charming. I didn't know how good singers some the cast are. Also confirmed that alternate Kirk and La'an had sex. I laughed so hard at boyband Klingons. The feeling of shame is understood.

Very fun episode with some strong character work. The science behind the musical wasn't super-convincing but that fits with the show's TOS feel.

Not sure if it was intentional or an error that they called the Klingon D7 Battlecruisers "K'Tinga" class. The K'Tinga-class was always the TOS movie era successor to the D7 and should be a couple decades away. Maybe they are retconning the D7 and K'Tinga to be the same class? With the movie K'Tinga just being an updated, refitted version like with their Constitution-class counterparts?

That final scene between Batel and Pike does not bode well. The show teased a Gorn conflict back in the first episode of the season and the season finale title seems to suggest that is what the next episode is about. I have a bad feeling something is going to happen to Batel on her emergency Priority One mission.

Whenever I see scifi nerds going on about ship types like this, I'm tempted to post that Harrison Ford gif from Late Night with Conan O'Brien, when he responds to then-not-yet-infamous Jordan Schlansky's Star Wars question with "who gives a ****?". Because really, nobody cares. :funny:

Look, the space ships are a big draw in sci fi fandom. You should have heard me when I saw the E-wing in the Ahsoka trailer.

Whenever I see scifi nerds going on about ship types like this, I'm tempted to post that Harrison Ford gif from Late Night with Conan O'Brien, when he responds to then-not-yet-infamous Jordan Schlansky's Star Wars question with "who gives a ****?". Because really, nobody cares. :funny:
Oh really? Because nobody cares anymore what a repeated troll and apologist for bigots thinks. Your schtick has grown old, so it is time to say...
gordon-ramsay-wave-goodbye-j39mvroptfla59d1.gif

Oh really? Because nobody cares anymore what a repeated troll and apologist for bigots thinks. Your schtick has grown old, so it is time to say...
gordon-ramsay-wave-goodbye-j39mvroptfla59d1.gif

Don’t forget advocating against the current WGA/SAG-AFTRA strike because of how much it would hurt the “poor, poor” studios and the Hollywood execs and their precious money, as if they weren’t responsible for that mess in the first place and could just as easily fix it anytime they want.

But the strikers “hurting” the broken Hollywood industry for wanting fair pay and hours? They’re the real problem. F**k those guys for caring and wanting to be treated like decent human beings. The greedy execs up top screwing them over? Let’s feel sorry for those guys. They’re the “real” victims. :whatever:

Good riddance.

Hmm, the people during the songs were mostly standing and walking and gazing. I wish they'd done more choreography to complement the music. In contrast, I thought the Buffy episode handled both of these aspects of musicals very well.

I was a little surprised, at first, at how unhappy the Klingons were. After all, Klingons love to sing. But then when we saw the nature of their dishonour, it all made sense.

Party Spock the next day is always funny.

Set behind the surface level of "I can relate to what you're experiencing", it sounds like they're hinting that Una has a thing for La'an.

Pike tends to focus on his own secret countdown timer as if it's the only one he needs to worry about, so yeah.

I think it's like with "T-800" and "model 101", where one's the general product line and the other's a specific configuration.

Now where's the fun in not caring about these details?

For some reason, despite this being a musical episode, this felt the most like the original series this week.

Also La'an almost sounds like a Disney singer. There were times it sounded like she could've sung something from Tangled or Frozen. I wondered if Uhura was going to sing because it took a while for her but I was glad she did because the original character was a singer and if she didn't sing then that would've been wrong.

Definitely better than the Flash/Supergirl musical episode which was a bit of a letdown.

For some reason, despite this being a musical episode, this felt the most like the original series this week.

Also La'an almost sounds like a Disney singer. There were times it sounded like she could've sung something from Tangled or Frozen. I wondered if Uhura was going to sing because it took a while for her but I was glad she did because the original character was a singer and if she didn't sing then that would've been wrong.

Definitely better than the Flash/Supergirl musical episode which was a bit of a letdown.

Celia Rose Gooding has a freaking Grammy. And nominated for a Tony. Of course they were going to sing.

I think it's like with "T-800" and "model 101", where one's the general product line and the other's a specific configuration.

Now where's the fun in not caring about these details?
I don't think that would make sense in this case since these K'Tinga battlecruisers were identical to previous appearances of the D7 on SNW. If it wasn't for Discovery having Klingons call them D7s, I think it would make most sense for "D7" to be the Federation name for them and "K'Tinga" the Klingon name for the class.

That has a lot of historical precedence with NATO often assigning different names or callsigns to Soviet ship or aircraft classes. For instance, the Soviet Akula-class ballistic missile submarine was given the NATO reporting name "Typhoon".

I don't think that would make sense in this case since these K'Tinga battlecruisers were identical to previous appearances of the D7 on SNW. If it wasn't for Discovery having Klingons call them D7s, I think it would make most sense for "D7" to be the Federation name for them and "K'Tinga" the Klingon name for the class.
This could tie in with how Voq was pretending to be the Chancellor's human pet when he announced the new ship design. He might have been playing up his human-ness for the crowd.

Another episode that required another watch.

Just, goddamned amazing. So fun with a fun variety. Picking a top song is like picking your favorite kid. Its tough between the finale, Uhura's solo, Chapel's solo, or Spock's mathematical love song. Una's first song with Kirk made me chuckle. Definitely Jess Bush, Christina Chong, and Celia Rose Gooding's strong points. Strong showing by Rebecce Romijn too. Ethan Peck did well for the required different singing. Singing not exactly Anson Mount's strength. And I am assuming there is a reason Babs didn't get more than a line or two.

God, I was expecting Klingon Opera from the Klingons, what with how it is so talked up about. Was not expecting K(lingon)-pop. Cleary, reason for dishonor. Fun fact, Bruce Horak as the Klingon captain.

As good as the first season was, perhaps one of the best first seasons of Trek, this season has just been so much better. Its insane. Pay these writers.

Set behind the surface level of "I can relate to what you're experiencing", it sounds like they're hinting that Una has a thing for La'an.

Or maybe Una has a thing for Pike maybe?!

"All systems stable."
"All systems stable."
"All systems stable."
"But why are we singing?"

"What am I saying to you?"
"In front of my crew?"

"The last thing anyone want is singing Klingons" (I was worried for a while we'd miss out, but thankfully that boy band moment came (with auto tuner and all) and Pike's facial expression afterwards is everything). Was hoping for Klingon opera, but I'm settled.

I usually don't care for musical episodes on TV-shows, they often feels just silly and campy unecessary filler episodes to me but I'm probably just the wrong audience. This however, was actually loads of fun. I ****ing loved it. Hearing a Star Trek crew singing technobabble lines was surprisingly entertainning even for me, and the more typical glamourous musical numbers were great fun as well.

For someone like me who can't sing (no surprise I've stuck to guitars and bass playing instead during the decades) it's also always fascinating to hear how good various actors/actresses really are at singing, and especially with occassional pure beautiful harmonics like here. Celia Rose Gooding as Uhura especially does some really impressing work, an amazingly great and powerful voice. M'Benga and me probably just will keep jamming together lol.

And of course they explained it all with some wonderful typical technobabble á la Trek, which basically meant it was just some kind of musical reality lol. Loved it. Why couldn't Discovery for several seasons be as fun and highly entertaing as this ST show has been so far in it's second season? (I kinda have some answers myself, but wont get in to it here)

Last edited:
Such a good episode! Love it when shows that say they are influenced by Buffy actually are able to pull it off properly.

All the songs were great. Spock, the Klingons singing were A+

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"