Strange New Worlds Season 2 Episode 9 "Subspace Rhapsody"

Another episode that required another watch.

Just, goddamned amazing. So fun with a fun variety. Picking a top song is like picking your favorite kid. Its tough between the finale, Uhura's solo, Chapel's solo, or Spock's mathematical love song. Una's first song with Kirk made me chuckle. Definitely Jess Bush, Christina Chong, and Celia Rose Gooding's strong points. Strong showing by Rebecce Romijn too. Ethan Peck did well for the required different singing. Singing not exactly Anson Mount's strength. And I am assuming there is a reason Babs didn't get more than a line or two.

God, I was expecting Klingon Opera from the Klingons, what with how it is so talked up about. Was not expecting K(lingon)-pop. Cleary, reason for dishonor. Fun fact, Bruce Horak as the Klingon captain.

As good as the first season was, perhaps one of the best first seasons of Trek, this season has just been so much better. Its insane. Pay these writers.
Seems this was something Ron Moore always wanted to do on DS9, but never got a chance:
One Legendary Star Trek Writer Fought To Make A Musical Episode Of Deep Space Nine - /Film

The scene with the klingons doing the boy band song caused me to rewind and watch it about 10+ times. I laughed till my sides hurt.
I kid you not, it was one of the most hilarious trek scenes I've ever seen, films included.
Its up there with data saying oh shet in generations.

the fact that they made the ships dance to the music was just cool as hell :funny:

I was hoping for Kirk to sing Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds or Spock singing Bilbo Baggins.

I really don't like musicals, so I'm definitely not in a position to give a fair, reasonable opinion, I'll just say that I love having a Star Trek show that isn't afraid to have wild, silly episodes like this right alongside extremely dark episodes like the prior one, and I'm happy for all the fans who do enjoy musicals. I enjoyed the character development we got here, and I'm glad that most of the characters weren't exactly thrilled about being forced to sing, allows me to relate more because I'm going to be totally honest, being stuck in a musical and forced to sing against my will sounds like my literal worst nightmare, and there is no one I related to more in this episode than the Klingons and their desperation to end it all as quickly as possible regardless of possible consequences.

I loved this. A lot of great moments, with some really decent music to boot. They knew their actors limitations in terms of singing and worked around them beautifully (poor M'benga). Thought La'an and Uhura were the stand outs when it came to vocals. I think my favorite moment though was Pike and Wyonna arguing in front of the bridge followed closely by boy band Klingons.

I loved this. A lot of great moments, with some really decent music to boot. They knew their actors limitations in terms of singing and worked around them beautifully (poor M'benga). Thought La'an and Uhura were the stand outs when it came to vocals. I think my favorite moment though was Pike and Wyonna arguing in front of the bridge followed closely by boy band Klingons.
If I recall correctly, they are the professionally trained singers of the group, both getting their start in musical theatre.

And the Klingon captain was a cameo by the actor who played Hemmer.

Just catching up now, this was great! They clearly took some cues from Buffy for this, which is the right choice for any show attempting a musical episode, and it paid off.

Uhura was the most impressive, hot damn. I did not know about her musical background before this. Christina Chong's also once again an MVP for me. Her song was kind of generic, but she sounded great. She's really gotten to shine the most this season imo. In terms of songs though, I think I dug Chapel's (and Spock's reprise) the most.

I'm guessing a Carol Marcus introduction is imminent.

The Klingons killed me. :funny:

this and the one for "those old scientists" are amazing versions of the opening credits

1000006373-jpg.67844

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"