• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Season 7 Review

SamuraiSon6

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://tv.ign.com/articles/876/876286p1.html

I found this link earlier today and thought we could use a thread to discuss not just individual episodes, but the season as a whole. The IGN review is pretty brutal but honest at the same time. The low overall score they gave should fire up some interesting discussion. But anyway, lets discuss the latest season of Smallville as a whole, what were its strengths and weaknesses. I don't intend this thread to become a speculation thread of what could have been (though that is somewhat inevitable in a review) or what could be next season. Simply offer your thoughts on Season 7.:super:

While I would agree with most of this review, the biggest exception I have is the reviewer's assessment of "Welling's Clark." The thing I liked most about this season was the growth I saw in Tom's portrayal of Clark. IMO he was more proactive and more Supermanly in this season than he has ever been before and it was thrilling to watch him rise to the occasion. I think Tom really excelled this season even when the stories surrounding Clark's character didn't measure up. Over all, there were several episodes that I thought were really good and one standout episode, which was "Descent."

i disagree

despite inconsitencies and plotholes seseaon 7 has been quite good compared to other seseaons like 6, and specailly 5 (where we got vampire lana enough said)

sesaon 7 has been quite faithfull to superman mythology we got some history on krypton, Lara, kara, house of el, veritas, Lex killing lionel

what did we get in season 6 ???

i do admit clark needs to grow up a little bit he is 21 and yet he still mops like some 12 year pr-puberty kid

I'm starting to agree with others that the writer's strike really did hurt the pace of Season 7, since Miles and Gough had prepared the season to end with a big cliffhanger because of fearing that the strike wouldn't be over by the time the "original" veritas aired.

Nevertheless, Other than some plot holes and some suspension of belief (007 Jimmy) and some storylines that could've been handed better, season 7 was pretty strong.

At least it didn't show Clark chasing after a engaged and from what he knew then to be a pregnant Lana.

In my opinion, these were some of the season's strongest points and overall some of the best moments in the shows entire run:

Lionel's death (very welled handled)

A closure towards Reeve's character and a explanation for the whole sacred stones arc back from season 4

Clark's experience in the AU, it just really proved to both the audience and Clark alike that his presence is needed in earth

Some awesome effects and our first look at Krypton

Green Arrow and Black Canary's appearance

Clark's progression (whether ppl want to admit it or not)

Clark displaying some supermanly moments (Saving the kid and the father from the flood, etc.)

Clark and Lois getting much closer with each other

Dean Cain

The only real gripe I had is that Clark didn't learn to fly in this season and that they just brushed off MM's existence. Along with the fact that they could've showed some scenes of Clark talking to Martha over the phone instead of constantly fixing tractors.

That review was pretty much 110% spot on.

IGN has really stepped up their TV section recently, and they're even going back and reviewing older seasons of fan favorite shows. I highly recommend checking them out.

what did we get in season 6 ???

- Clark revealing his secret to Lana
- Zod
- Oliver challenging Clark to look at the bigger picture
- Lex's evolution to the dark side
- Phantom Zone criminals
- Chloe being a meteor freak
- Jimmy's introduction
- Martha's exit
- Martian Manhunter
- Lois and Clark's first kiss

...And probably more.

It is a good article, although I don't agree entirely with all his points and gripes about the individual story arcs this season, but he makes some very good points about the change of tone that is needed to keep this show (and Clark) from being stagnant in this upcoming season.

I didn't mind how they ended the El family or the Grant Gabriel arc. They were told and they served their purpose - Lara's story filled in Clark's background, something a lot of people (including myself) have wanted to have a glimpse for a long time. Grant Gabriel's wrapped up a previously established Luthor story and furthered Lex's descent - which was an over-riding theme of the season.

Even with factoring in Kristin's non-availability the latter end of the season, Lana was woefully underutilized when she was there, but that's pretty much par for the course. I am glad that they showed her pulling back from the dark precipice she was on after the Lex/pseudo-baby incident. And I liked how they showed it was her love for Clark that was the biggest influence on her doing so. He inspired her to save herself, in true hero fashion, and she was strong enough to do it. :heart:

I'm not sure what to say about Chloe's Lazarus-like meteor freak ability. Did we need to see her go through the same relationship angst that Clark did (ad nauseam) over his shame at being different? After all these years? Really? I suppose it would break SVFan protocol for me to suggest that possibly, this time, they were trying to find something to make her character still relevant after all these years.

I like Jimmy. But I'd like to see him developing more of a friendship with Clark. That's not going to happen with the constant Chloe-jealousy that Jimmy harbors.

I was surprisingly pleased with the further development of Lois Lane this past season. It's not about "ships" but about really wanting to like the woman Clark will fall in love with in the future. I still don't want that to come to full fruition on this show, but I do honestly enjoy watching their relationship grow outside of the romantic angle - particularly since we know that it will get there in the future.

Despite the "SV needs to end" pile-on happening (which I don't completely disagree with), I still think there were some amazing moments this past season which people too easily forget about in their rush to kick the aged show. The expectations for this show, since the endgame is common knowledge almost seem unfair sometimes. This can't just be a show to entertain people, there are high and varied expectations to serve various characters ending up in specific roles, with only a bit of wiggle room - at least to a certain percentage of viewers. There are still those that only watch it for the human story angle, and have no clue about the mythology. I've always fallen in the middle of those two groups, which is probably why I don't have too hard a time going with whatever directions they have decided to take.

Next season, by default of not having Lex and Lana around anymore, is going to feel completely different. As much as I will miss the two of them (HORRIBLY :(), I guess it could be seen as a good thing in terms of forcing the show to have a different framework and, hopefully, concentrate on the main character fulfilling the original mission of the series - Clark growing up and taking all he's learned from his days in SV to become the hero to this planet. Hopefully.

Wow, I've been chatty lately. :oldrazz:

It is a good article, although I don't agree entirely with all his points and gripes about the individual story arcs this season, but he makes some very good points about the change of tone that is needed to keep this show (and Clark) from being stagnant in this upcoming season.

I didn't mind how they ended the El family or the Grant Gabriel arc. They were told and they served their purpose - Lara's story filled in Clark's background, something a lot of people (including myself) have wanted to have a glimpse for a long time. Grant Gabriel's wrapped up a previously established Luthor story and furthered Lex's descent - which was an over-riding theme of the season.

Even with factoring in Kristin's non-availability the latter end of the season, Lana was woefully underutilized when she was there, but that's pretty much par for the course. I am glad that they showed her pulling back from the dark precipice she was on after the Lex/pseudo-baby incident. And I liked how they showed it was her love for Clark that was the biggest influence on her doing so. He inspired her to save herself, in true hero fashion, and she was strong enough to do it. :heart:

I'm not sure what to say about Chloe's Lazarus-like meteor freak ability. Did we need to see her go through the same relationship angst that Clark did (ad nauseam) over his shame at being different? After all these years? Really? I suppose it would break SVFan protocol for me to suggest that possibly, this time, they were trying to find something to make her character still relevant after all these years.

I like Jimmy. But I'd like to see him developing more of a friendship with Clark. That's not going to happen with the constant Chloe-jealousy that Jimmy harbors.

I was surprisingly pleased with the further development of Lois Lane this past season. It's not about "ships" but about really wanting to like the woman Clark will fall in love with in the future. I still don't want that to come to full fruition on this show, but I do honestly enjoy watching their relationship grow outside of the romantic angle - particularly since we know that it will get there in the future.

Despite the "SV needs to end" pile-on happening (which I don't completely disagree with), I still think there were some amazing moments this past season which people too easily forget about in their rush to kick the aged show. The expectations for this show, since the endgame is common knowledge almost seem unfair sometimes. This can't just be a show to entertain people, there are high and varied expectations to serve various characters ending up in specific roles, with only a bit of wiggle room - at least to a certain percentage of viewers. There are still those that only watch it for the human story angle, and have no clue about the mythology. I've always fallen in the middle of those two groups, which is probably why I don't have too hard a time going with whatever directions they have decided to take.

Next season, by default of not having Lex and Lana around anymore, is going to feel completely different. As much as I will miss the two of them (HORRIBLY :(), I guess it could be seen as a good thing in terms of forcing the show to have a different framework and, hopefully, concentrate on the main character fulfilling the original mission of the series - Clark growing up and taking all he's learned from his days in SV to become the hero to this planet. Hopefully.

Well said.:cwink::up:

very good points

the IGN review is sooo right on.

season 7 was by far the worst season of smallville.

and to think, as IGN mentioned - we had kara, zor-el, lara, black canary, brainiac, bizarro, DEAN CAIN, green arrow, martian manhunter...

if this list was announced back in day, the fanboys woulda gone INSANE. unfortunately, it all fell short.

I think they could have used Kara a bit better but over all I liked what was there. Sure there were the handful of just out right huh? episoedes like the hour long stride gum commercial but even that episode had a few good moments in it to make it worth watching. This season had some great stuff in it. I don't know if I like this season more than last but I can say I think the show has gotten better over the last couple of seasons.

Now if in 8 they can avoid the few crappy episodes then they will really hit it out of the park.

whoops.. double post.. Sorry. ????? Don't know how that happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"