Seth Grahame-Smith is the director

Web-Head

Oh boy yeah
Reaction score
He doesn't have a thread yet, so I figured I'd make one.

Seth Grahame-Smith is in negotiations to direct and write The Flash, Warner Bros.' comic book movie based on the iconic DC Entertainment scarlet speedster super hero, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The movie project has a treatment from Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the Lego Movie duo that were also eyeing it as a possible directing vehicle.

Instead, the busy duo is headed to a galaxy far, far away (in this case just down the street to Disney) to tackle the Han Solo Star Wars movie, thus instigating a new search for a helmer.

Flash already has a release date – March 3, 2018 – and an actor who portrays the classic hero known as "the fastest man alive" – Ezra Miller. Miller’s Flash, aka. Barry Allen, is due to be introduced in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and then more prominently in Justice League Part 1, which will be released in the summer of 2017.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/seth-grahame-smith-flash-director-829170

I can only imagine he was really able to give one hell of a pitch to WB. Not to much experience directing except some tv episodes. Looking at IMDB he's done a lot of writing most notably Dark Shadows, Abraham Lincoln Vampire hunter, and pride prejudice and zombies. Wouldn't call Dark Shadows and Vampire hunter complete **** but they weren't great either.

Hollywood reporter says they are "in negotiations". Also Seth Graham-Smith has been recently friendly with Geoff Johns in Twitter. Apart from that Hollywood reporter article haven't heard to much about it since. Dont recall if either Seth Graham-Smith or anyone from WB explicitly confirmed it though.

I should add Hollywood Reporter, Variety, the Wrap are all very trustworthy sources that are more credible than El Mayimbe, Birthmoviesdeath, and Joblo.

Which is fine. But 'in negotiations' doesn't mean he's shoe-in for director? He may be doing script rewrites for all we know?

Hmm, what does Jokes think about Seth as directing the Flash. :hmm

Honeslty i'm rather mixed about it, on one hand he's a first time director with many more risks then a season director, not to mention that the DCEU is currently new and growing and we all need it to be perfect.

On the other hand if the whispers are true and Seth was in fact personally hand picked by Lord & Miller themselves as perfect as the Flash then i'm a bit more at ease with the decision.

However as of now, time will tell what happens.

See you all in 2 years and 2 months in March 2018. :up:

This guys previous work does not instill confidence in me. I am hoping for the best though

I'll say it. If there was one decision in the entire DCEU I'd genuinely be worried about, it's this. Closely followed by Fuchs as writer for Wonder Woman.

Am I the only one that finds it strange that we're hearing more about Aquaman than we are about Flash despite the fact that Flash is supposed to be getting released beforehand?

I think it's because Mera is also going to be in JL. Keep in mind Captain Boomerang was cast last year in Suicide Squad.

Also movie is in 2018. After JL shoots in April, flash is going to ramp up in production. Flash also had A Lord and Miller script treatment. And it looks like WB is searching for directors. With Smith in negotiations.

I think it's because Mera is also going to be in JL. Keep in mind Captain Boomerang was cast last year in Suicide Squad.

I love Captain Boomerang, but if he is the only villain in a Flash movie I'm going to lose my ****.

What happened to creativity? This is a very boring and generic choice!
They should have gone with Baz Lurhmann. He's way more interesting

Generic? How is a first time Director considered generic?

Perhaps it's because he's known to be an uncredited writer on that awful Fant4stic movie. That certainly took great source material and made it generic.

Generic? How is a first time Director considered generic?
A property like Flash deserves better. It needs to be something extraordinary. Geez, how did Warner Bros even find this obscure director?
Ezra Miller was an inspired choice, for sure. But this choice of director is so strange. Why couldn't they have gone all the way in making the film stand out from others in the genre? Baz would have been that guy (or even any other director who's done spectacle films).

The reason could be be that he's a just name added to the film, while the studio is the actual director. Seth Grahame-Smith is a puppet who does what he's told to do.

Last edited:
A property like Flash deserves better. It needs to be something extraordinary. Geez, how did Warner Bros even find this obscure director?
Ezra Miller was an inspired choice, for sure. But this choice of director is so strange. Why couldn't they have gone all the way in making the film stand out from others in the genre? Baz would have been that guy (or even any other director who's done spectacle films).

The reason could be be that he's a just name added to the film, while the studio is the actual director. Seth Grahame-Smith is a puppet who does what he's told to do.

While I myself have made my concerns known earlier in the thread, I do think you are being too dramatic. There is a real possibility he was hand-picked by Lord and Miller (who reportedly wrote for the film) and that does make it better. My concerns are not because he's been obscure but because he has been eh... not very good.

At the very least we can be rest assured that this will have a comedic tone. The guy behind Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter and Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies isn't going to make it über serious

You know who else were obscure directors? The Russo Bros and CATWS is the only MCU film that I thought bordered on greatness. They had a vision and Fiege bought it. Maybe this guy read the script and was inspired, who knows?

He did it today here is the flash related stuff

he didn't answer this persons Flash question

[–]JuanRiveara 1 point 3 hours ago
Have you seen the Flash TV Show on CW? If so will you take inspiration from it, try to differentiate the film from it, or just not focus on it?
Would you ever write/direct an episode of the Flash show on CW?
Without revealing too much what do you want the Speed Force to look like in the film?
What do you think RJ Berger is up to now?
How has your day been?
[–]luckyhackAMA Author 3 points 2 hours ago
I'll answer in reverse order:
My day's going great, thank you!
I like to think that RJ is still living in Pinkerton, running a vape shop with Miles and Coach Sinclair, and still getting tangled up in all kinds of girl trouble.

And did no confirmation/denial when outright asked

[–]godisawesome12 12 points 4 hours ago
are you officially the flash director or is that being kept under wraps?
[–]luckyhackAMA Author 14 points 2 hours ago
This is a very cleverly worded question.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/434yb1/im_seth_grahamesmith_author_of_pride_prejudice/

They should make a change here. Seth Grahame-Smith and film don't mix. We now have two adaptations of his novels not translating well to screen at all and his prior work in superhero cinema is as a writer on that awful Fantastic Four movie. They should get somebody different for this one and let Seth write George Washington Fights Werewolves With A Silver Chainsaw or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"