• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Warner Bros. Acquires Seth Grahame-Smith's Unholy Night

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
Unholy Night
Seth Grahame-Smith is quickly becoming a household name. His breakout came with the novels Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which were subsequently put into development as feature films (Vampire Hunter is already in post-production, whereas Zombies is stuck in a bit of a development hell). He wrote the initial scripts for both films, was subsequently drafted to pen Tim Burton’s Dark Shadows, and created the MTV series The Hard Times of RJ Berger. Now Warner Bros. is said to be paying in the vicinity of $2 million for Grahame-Smith’s next book, the biblical-themed action-adventure Unholy Night, which tells the story of the Three Wise Men. Hit the jump for more on this Hollywoodized iteration of the biblical tale.

Deadline reports that the book is an action/adventure centered around the three Magi. The idea sounds more than a little ridiculous (especially given the 80’s action movie title), with images of the Three Kings fighting their way through thieves and such in order to deliver their gifts to the 8 pound, 6 ounce newborn Baby Jesus. However, Harry Potter producer David Heyman is onboard to produce so maybe we’re in for something a little more sophisticated.
I’ve yet to read any of his previous works, but Grahame-Smith certainly seems to have his niche. Based on the major payday, Warner Bros. presumably thinks they’ve got a pretty big project on their hands. The author will be penning the screenplay himself and will produce through his KatzSmith banner with partner David Katzenberg. The book Unholy Night is set to hit shelves in April.

If they did this as a comedy adventure similar to your highness it would be gold.

Magi #1: Too bad the Lord aint old enough to save your soul, mother ****er.
*stabs thief in the head with knife*

Magi #1: Too bad the Lord aint old enough to save your soul, mother ****er.
*stabs thief in the head with knife*

Lol!

I'm looking forward to seeing who they cast as the wisemen.

Ha ha, after Asgard's post this movie will never live up to my expectations.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=84793
Warner Bros. Pictures has acquired the film rights to Seth Grahame-Smith's new novel, "Unholy Night," which hits stores on April 10, 2012. It's the latest book from the author of titles like "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter." The book is officially described as follows:

From the author of the New York Times bestselling Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, comes UNHOLY NIGHT, the next evolution in dark historical revisionism.

They're an iconic part of history's most celebrated birth. But what do we really know about the Three Kings of the Nativity, besides the fact that they followed a star to Bethlehem bearing strange gifts? The Bible has little to say about this enigmatic trio. But leave it to Seth Grahame-Smith, the brilliant and twisted mind behind Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies to take a little mystery, bend a little history, and weave an epic tale.

In Grahame-Smith's telling, the so-called "Three Wise Men" are infamous thieves, led by the dark, murderous Balthazar. After a daring escape from Herod's prison, they stumble upon the famous manger and its newborn king. The last thing Balthazar needs is to be slowed down by young Joseph, Mary and their infant. But when Herod's men begin to slaughter the first born in Judea, he has no choice but to help them escape to Egypt.

It's the beginning of an adventure that will see them fight the last magical creatures of the Old Testament; cross paths with biblical figures like Pontius Pilate and John the Baptist; and finally deliver them to Egypt. It may just be the greatest story never told.

Grahame-Smith will write the script, and he and KatzSmith partner David Katzenberg will produce with Heyday Films' David Heyman ("Harry Potter" films) and Jeffrey Clifford. Grahame-Smith also scripted the upcoming Tim Burton adaptation Dark Shadows.

Heh! :D This actually sounds like a pretty fun reworking of the story.

Haha, I didn't know he had this in the works. Going to have to check it out. I really liked Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, such a fun read. Though I didn't enjoy the ending.

Lol!

I'm looking forward to seeing who they cast as the wisemen.

Clooney, Pitt, Damon
RDJ, Bale and Depp
Gosling, Fassy, Hardy
Tatum, Worthington, Butler
Pattison, Lautner, Lutz

They should go full-on exploitation with this.

Wiseman #1: Samuel L. Jackson, with a big 70s afro, talking like he does in most of his movies regardless of where and when this movie is set.

Wiseman #2: Jackie Chan. Again, in full acrobatic kung-fu mode, especially if the movie actually takes place in Jerusalem.

Wiseman #3: Vince Vaughn. If it was the 1980s, it would be Bill Murray, as the mouthiest but least combat-ready of the wisemen. He'd crack wise, get his butt kicked a lot, and get the girl at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"