Shang - Chi

They wouldn't dare. But still never having the Mandarin and Iron Man face off seems wrong. I could see some flashback scenes where you notice the real Mandarin inserted into the background from some Iron Man footage.

I can see them doing that like in Far From Home.

I wonder if they called it "Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" to evoke the sound of a Chinese martial arts movie. Or maybe it was to evoke Saturday morning-style adventure films like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?

They could've called it Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu, which is what I was hoping for with the first film.

So I'm Asian, and while I appreciated Marvel's effort at representing my demographic when they announced they were going to do a Shang Chi film a few months back, I honestly didn't care much because I'm not invested in Shang Chi. I would've preferred maybe Psylocke or Kamala Khan.

In fact, I had stated to people I talked with about this that Marvel had a better opportunity years ago to appeal to my demographic and that was by bringing in the Mandarin by thoughtfully adapting him with modern sensibilities while also making him a memorable villain. We all know how that went.

Oh my word. Now after comic-con I have went from mildly interested for Shang Chi to full blown anticipating it. Tony Leung playing him too?! Unbelievable. It will always be a sore spot for me that he never got to truly tangle with Iron Man, but if he's done right it will do a lot to repair the screw up by Shane Black.

Last edited:
Shang Chi is now one of my most anticipated MCU movies for Phase 4, and Tony Leung playing the Mandarin is an unbelievable casting coup; he's a legendary actor and I'm so glad to see him lending his talent to MCU.

This would be a good flick in which to introduce the "Real" Mandarin teased in "All Hail the King". He would make a solid Fu Manchu replacement if the MCU is going with Shang-Chi's comic book origin as the son of an infamous crime lord.

I would have loved to have seen Jimmy Woo in the film, but I thought Randall Park's version in AM&TW was a bit of a dud. And his involvement wouldn't make sense unless Marvel Studios sets the movie in the U.S.
Wow this post aged like fine wine.

I dont think Donnie Yen is part of the cast though. With that said, Tony Leung as Mandarin is going to be aces.
I think Donnie was just a rumor, but there's nothing even remotely official.

The MCU has as much riding on this movie as it had riding on the Black Panther movie. If they get it wrong I don't think they will recover in China. They have to stick the landing. The good thing is the movie is in good hands. Despite what some people would have you believe, Black Panther was an excellent movie so they are adapt at creating cultural touchstones.

They wouldn't dare. But still never having the Mandarin and Iron Man face off seems wrong. I could see some flashback scenes where you notice the real Mandarin inserted into the background from some Iron Man footage.

I think it's easier to sell the Mandarin as a villain when the hero is Asian, you get to have a heroic Asian in the story, rather than the only Asians that appear in the film are villains and the hero is a white guy.

The Mandarin vs. Iron Man story could have a problematic reading to it, the white hero represents Western progress and technology, while the Asian villain represents savagery and "Eastern mysticism". That is less of a concern in a Shang-Chi film and Mandarin is not as bad as Fu Manchu or Yellow Claw in terms of being offensive.

Thing is, I thought Mandarin was set as a terrorist from the middle east. IIRC the terrorists that kidnapped Tony in the first film were from the Ten Rings, so it would be weird to set him as completely Asian now.

Not sure how Marvel is actually going to handle him so I'll wait and see.

I think it's easier to sell the Mandarin as a villain when the hero is Asian, you get to have a heroic Asian in the story, rather than the only Asians that appear in the film are villains and the hero is a white guy.

The Mandarin vs. Iron Man story could have a problematic reading to it, the white hero represents Western progress and technology, while the Asian villain represents savagery and "Eastern mysticism". That is less of a concern in a Shang-Chi film and Mandarin is not as bad as Fu Manchu or Yellow Claw in terms of being offensive.

If they did Shang Chi before, they could've then had Iron Man face off against the Mandarin later on. They could even have had Shang Chi team up with Iron Man. I would've been fine with that as long as Shellhead took on the real Mandarin.

Of course, we don't know when this movie is set. If it were set within the 5 years after the snap, they could still potentially bring RDJ back to fight the Mandarin. After all, we're getting a Black Widow movie set between Civil War and Infinity War, so why can't we get another Iron Man movie set either then or during those 5 years?

While I have lower expectations for Thor 4 ( due to Portman ), the Shang-Chi movie definitely is the one most personally enraging. Now in addition to years of insane contradictory nonsense with regard to the Mandarin in IM3, I can look forward to years of even more insane contradictory nonsense following Shang-Chi.

Mark my word, there will be countless people praising the 'Real' Mandarin for his alleged 'faithfulness' to the comic version. . . despite the nigh certainty that his only common traits with the actual guy in the comics will be "Is Asian" and "Knows Kung Fu".

If they did Shang Chi before, they could've then had Iron Man face off against the Mandarin later on. They could even have had Shang Chi team up with Iron Man. I would've been fine with that as long as Shellhead took on the real Mandarin.

Of course, we don't know when this movie is set. If it were set within the 5 years after the snap, they could still potentially bring RDJ back to fight the Mandarin. After all, we're getting a Black Widow movie set between Civil War and Infinity War, so why can't we get another Iron Man movie set either then or during those 5 years?

And, just as a good starting point. . .

How, exactly, would the same villain function as both an enemy for Iron Man and Shang-Chi? The two operate at radically different power levels.

The Mandarin vs. Iron Man story could have a problematic reading to it, the white hero represents Western progress and technology, while the Asian villain represents savagery and "Eastern mysticism".

The Mandarin does not represent that and never had. In his original depiction from Tales of Suspense he was shown as the enemy of his own homeland and its political party. The reason why Iron Man even met Mandarin face-to-face for the time is because Pentagon heard rumors about Chinese being in fear because one powerful man is putting all their leaders to cold sweat. Pentagon were afraid that the man will go after America after he'll be done with China and they asked Iron Man investigate the situation. The history of their conflict proves the actual opposite of what you're saying. The Mandarin represents a sentiment that all Chinese censors would applaud: a man who goes against its own government is a villain.

Mark my word, there will be countless people praising the 'Real' Mandarin for his alleged 'faithfulness' to the comic version. . . despite the nigh certainty that his only common traits with the actual guy in the comics will be "Is Asian" and "Knows Kung Fu".

All things considered, that will automatically make him better than whatever the heck that thing was in Iron Man 3.

The Mandarin does not represent that and never had. In his original depiction from Tales of Suspense he was shown as the enemy of his own homeland and its political party. The reason why Iron Man even met Mandarin face-to-face for the time is because Pentagon heard rumors about Chinese being in fear because one powerful man is putting all their leaders to cold sweat. Pentagon were afraid that the man will go after America after he'll be done with China and they asked Iron Man investigate the situation. The history of their conflict proves the actual opposite of what you're saying. The Mandarin represents a sentiment that all Chinese censors would applaud: a man who goes against its own government is a villain.

Who they fear and need an american to defeat?

Who they fear and need an american to defeat?

If the Pentagon sent Iron Man after Mandarin, then it wasn't the Chinese who requested Iron Man's help to come and defeat him. The Americans feared what would happen next and sent one of their own.

Now the question is whether they sent Iron Man because he was American also, or because of his powers? Probably a bit of both at the time, but just that it worked out well for them. If the Pentagon simply sent an American for the sake of being American but he was of no use, then that wouldn't do them any good. It's more that they have certain resources and they use it at their disposal.

Almost every hero in Endgame who helped to undo The Snap and bring back half of life was American.

The battle was fought in america.

The post i was replying to said specifically that the chinese chine be in fear of the mandarin and so the americans sent iron man. This implies that the chinese were unable to deal with the threat and it would take iron man t(an american) to save them.

Just think (especially in the current political climate) some chinese might resent that.

Well since the MCU and Stark being captured is some 50 years after the source material most of their political origins are moot

Shang Chi is now one of my most anticipated MCU movies for Phase 4, and Tony Leung playing the Mandarin is an unbelievable casting coup; he's a legendary actor and I'm so glad to see him lending his talent to MCU.
I can't wait to see what he can do with this role. :up:

Slow to the party but has Shang Chi actually been cast yet?

What I want to know is: Will Fin Fang Foom appear in the film?

Fin has been a favorite of mine since I first laid eyes on his crazy tail decades ago. Mandarin needs Fin and his starship to obtain the scientific/mystical technology that powers his ten rings. The writers could use another means to power the rings or leave them as mere symbols, but that's no fun. Give us a big-ass alien dragon like the comics. (Just don't make him a chef in a Chinese restaurant. )

6443893-fin%20fang%20foom.jpg

d7b7ef68ca60cb5095118bf448108772.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"