Shazam Shazam: Fury of the Gods General News and Discussion Thread

Seeing the positive reactions so far, is great to see.
Hopefully this convinces a lot of people to give the movie a chance.
Word of mouth can do a lot, so i hope the reactions help it.

I saw this tonight. A special screening with the director Mr.Sandberg and Djimon Hounsou in attendance.

I think its better than the first. Not great, but pretty entertaining. Drags a bit, and I honestly think a lot of the daytime cgi shots just look bad. The cast is on the other hand very likeable and I think the humour lands better here than in the first one.

Last 15 minutes or so is very good. I mean you guess what will happen, but its just enjoyable.

I hope this does decently at the box office.

Last edited:
There's a weird (or maybe just loud) portion of the internet that is rooting for this movie to fail....for what reason, I don't know. Seems like there's a strange amount of b*ners every time the opening weekend projections get updated with weak #s.

There's a weird (or maybe just loud) portion of the internet that is rooting for this movie to fail....for what reason, I don't know. Seems like there's a strange amount of b*ners every time the opening weekend projections get updated with weak #s.

I can tell you the reason... it's because Levi has one controversial opinion that they don't agree with. So now they want 200 other people to fail because one man's opinion.

Going by pre-sales this movie might end up as one of the biggest superhero flops ever.

Going by pre-sales this movie might end up as one of the biggest superhero flops ever.
Well, when you barely promote a sequel to a five year old film in a franchise months away from a complete reboot…can’t say I’m surprised. Oh well, at least I’ll have my pick of the best seats…

Well, when you barely promote a sequel to a five year old film in a franchise months away from a complete reboot…can’t say I’m surprised. Oh well, at least I’ll have my pick of the best seats…

Barely promote? You can argue the promotion itself sucked but I see the promo for this every time I have cable on for 5 seconds. The thing is none of the promotion is very engaging...

Yes, the trailers haven't been interesting, to be honest. I saw none of what made the first Shazam! so charming. Almost nothing with the kids or the family aspect of it. Pure mayhem action.
I hope this is just a case of false/bad marketing because I do trust/like David F. Sandberg.

Barely promote? You can argue the promotion itself sucked but I see the promo for this every time I have cable on for 5 seconds. The thing is none of the promotion is very engaging...
Well, good to hear there are some cable spots. I cut the cord on cable years ago, like about a zillion other people. I do consumer a lot of related streaming content tho so I usually see spots on YouTube, ESPN, etc. Nothing for this tho.

It's anecdotal but I've barely seen any marketing for this in Canada. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this film's marketing costs come in under the first film's.

If the reviews end up being good then it's completely mystifying why the review embargo wasn't lifted earlier.

First Shazam made 30.9M on opening weekend in China. Shazam 2 is currently looking to gross 5M there. Yes, 5 million opening weekend.

The fact that the studio spoiled a major cameo in a tv spot kinda says how desperate they are for this to open.

Anyone remember a time when the RT score and reviews weren't completely broken for hours after reviews started pouring in for a new movie? I feel like the website has gotten worse and worse in that regard.

So the first reviews are in and they are kind of a mixed bag. Definitely lower than the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"