Shazam Shazam: Fury of the Gods General News and Discussion Thread

Fant4stic made 2.7M in Thursday previews so Shazam is at least doing better than that movie.

Last edited:
I doubt it...it seemed to go away rather quickly. I think the movie is probably just mediocre.

They went away quickly but then he made his Britney comments and dug a deeper hole. I think they definitely may have had an effect. But the movie being average and superhero fatigue will be factors also.

They went away quickly but then he made his Britney comments and dug a deeper hole. I think they definitely may have had an effect. But the movie being average and superhero fatigue will be factors also.

The general audience doesn’t care about that stuff. I didn’t even hear about his Brittney comments. You would have to be following him in order to hear about any of this stuff.

That silver lining isn’t going to mean much when it’s apparent mixed reception means this is going to maybe drop like a rock in its subsequent weekends. Very curious to see what its Cinemascore will be.

I saw the film it’s fun, unfortunately I don’t see it being a smashing success. Due to it being too silly and overdrawn out with plots done better in other films. The first film had charm and heart this one didn’t have the same appeal imo.

Idk, I very much enjoyed this one. A great follow-up, in my opinion.

It’s not winning any Oscars next year but it’s a fun watch. On par with any standard MCU fare.

Will catch it on hbo max in 6 weeks
Me too.

I wasn't interested in the first place after seeing the trailer.

However that 54% and B cinemascore, made me think I am not missing anything by skipping this in the big screen.

I'd be surprised if this Shazam joins DCU....

The general audience doesn’t care about that stuff. I didn’t even hear about his Brittney comments. You would have to be following him in order to hear about any of this stuff.

And yet my Aunt, who is the very definition of the GA, heard about them she said they put her off him. And that’s in the UK.

Yeah, looks like I will be skipping this one.

Isn’t it kind of sadly ironic that once upon a time before WB was sold to Discovery that movie was actually supposed to kick off the new DC universe(this movie was originally supposed to released after Flash rebooted the universe) but now it’s basically the lame duck remnant of a soon-to-be-defunct universe. It’s kind of like Dark Phoenix all over again.

I didn't hear about ANY statements by him that caused controversy until reading this thread a few minutes ago. I then googled it....I couldn't care less how he feels about Spears, but since he appears to be an anti vaxxer....he will NOT get a single cent from me.

I didn't hear about ANY statements by him that caused controversy until reading this thread a few minutes ago. I then googled it....I couldn't care less how he feels about Spears, but since he appears to be an anti vaxxer....he will NOT get a single cent from me.

You have to wonder how some of the anti-vax sentiment of these movie stars is shifting the dial for some on the box office for the movies they star in. When Wakanda Forever underperforms, Ant-Man 3 bombs, and Shazam 2 bombs, you have to wonder... Is their stank rubbing off on the whole movie?

I'm not suggesting it's anything other than a contributing factor, but I certainly wouldn't discount it as a reason some people choose not to go. Covid continues to have an effect at the box office, I think. Even long after the pandemic has turned endemic.

As someone who had high hopes for the first film only to come away pretty disappointed, I enjoyed this one. I thought a lot of the first one fell flat, you can tell it was held back by budget restraints and I was just hoping for more in a sequel and that's exactly what I got.

Shazam! has moments to shine that were missing in the first, the humor worked a lot better and the action scenes were bigger and better. The villains weren't much better but it was fun to see Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu kick some butt as super villains and Rachel Zegler was a nice addition despite some shoddy dialogue.

I definitely didn't love it but I had a good amount of fun with it and that's all I asked for

I don't think so...I think people just don't have the kind of money they did so they don't want to waste on films that don't interest them much.
This plus a lot of people are fine with waiting for streaming now, especially with how short the windows have gotten and it's not like Ant-Man or this had great reviews.

My theater was pretty full though and the audience seemed to enjoy it

Just got back.

As someone that thought the trailers were awful I thought the movie was a blast and had a smile on my face the whole time.

Not sure why the fun and adventure of the movie didn't translate to the trailers. I think they tried to make it look more like a giant epic instead of what it really was, a very lighthearted family comedy with some well done emotional beats and cool ass mythological creatures sprinkled in.

Shame this isn't looking to do well at all.

That awful cameo aside, it was not bad but not super great. It doesn't reach the levels of the first Shazam movie and it's got a bit of sequelitis in parts. I thought Rachel Zegler was a stand out among the rest, she's definitely got a bigger career ahead of her especially after West Side Story and this.

I still put this movie over the other Snyderverse sh** that's not Bop and TSS.

It's a mixed bag for me but I still found things I liked about Shazam 2. I think things are little more forced in this film versus its predecessor. I also think Freddy isn't as charming.

There's a character in this movie that really drags it down. With a better performance/dialogue the film would've worked a lot better. The villains also weren't entirely compelling.

It's not terrible. Just could've been substantially better. Regardless I still like the Shazam family. Hopefully they retain them in the new DCU in some form or another.

That was not good.

The pacing was rough and Billy Batson almost doesn't appear in his own movie. It really should just be him, maybe Mary and Freddy. I give the movie a 5.5/10. It's one thing to give us these OC villains but another to just waste Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu like that. I kept waiting for Mirren's character to be more threatening and it didn't happen, same with Liu she needed more sass or something. In comparison to Fury of the Gods, I watched the first movie again last week and it holds up well, imo. I'm disappointed.

On a side note, that cameo was EVERYTHING and I still can't believe they canceled their movie and are about to recast them...sigh. A movie with that character and the "fury of the gods"? Now THAT'S a movie I want to see so bad.

7.6m Friday according to Deadline. This is what the BOTers are predicting:

5.8 // 25.5 low end

7.2 // 28 high end

On the plus side at least this score is slightly better then Quantumania but B+ still isn’t very good news and a decline for the original’s A Cinemascore. The legs on this one aren’t look too good, that and coupled with a weak domestic opening weekend this movie may end up being one of the major flops of the year at the box office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"