Shazam Shazam: Fury of the Gods General News and Discussion Thread

That's weird, I thought Rachel Zegler was solid... Lucy Liu didn't know what movie she was in and the script didn't do her any favors.

Yeah I agree with all of @kguillou 's review except that part. I thought Liu was pretty bad in the movie and the weak link in the case.

Overall thought I agree really liked this movie. I loved that in the finale it went back to Billy on his own. But the other kids also showed they were heroes even without the powers, especially Freddy.

I can't help but feel like this movie should have done better. Like, it was never gonna be a super money maker but I feel like this could have potentially found an audience with the family crowd if marketed appropriately....maybe.

Yes, the concept is unique enough to make something fresh.

I disagree, the GA for the most part doesnt know or doesnt care about a DC reboot. You'll see when the Flash comes out, the reboot will have no bearing on its box office. The reboot news isnt why Shazam flopped, there was just zero awareness or from the GA to care to watch it to begin with.

I disagree, the GA for the most part doesnt know or doesnt care about a DC reboot. You'll see when the Flash comes out, the reboot will have no bearing on its box office. The reboot news isnt why Shazam flopped, there was just zero awareness or from the GA to care to watch it to begin with.
Definitely agree there. I haven't heard/seen ANY discussion about the DCU reboot - water coolers or otherwise - amongst anyone other than fans and journo's.

I can't help but feel like this movie should have done better. Like, it was never gonna be a super money maker but I feel like this could have potentially found an audience with the family crowd if marketed appropriately....maybe.

It does baffle me this movie didn’t do better. Especially after I saw it. The reviews baffle me as well. I enjoyed this a lot more than something like Love and Thunder. I do wonder if some if Levy’s behaviour leading up to the movie had an effect on its reviews. And then the reviews had an effect on the BO.

But this still should be making more at the same time.

Man they really destroyed Philly in this. I thought the movie was pretty entertaining. I’m glad I streamed it though. Definitely wasn’t a “must see in the theaters” movie for me. Levi did play this pretty goofy, especially compared to the other Shazam family members. I actually would have preferred to see more of Billy and his home life in this. I really dug the sub plot of him and Rosa. Wish there were more scenes of that.

While I am not surprised that this flopped since....WB really didnt care about it, it not even making it to $200mill worldwide yet is WOW.

While I am not surprised that this flopped since....WB really didnt care about it, it not even making it to $200mill worldwide yet is WOW.

It's not making it to 140M worldwide. Although it should be able to reach 132M soon and beat Blade and Blade Trinity.

Watched this last night. Worse than the first. Shazam was soooo juvenile compared to Billy Batson. The first post-credit scene was annoying as hell to watch due to it. Only one line made me laugh, the blatant product placement one. What a waste.

Watched this last night. Worse than the first. Shazam was soooo juvenile compared to Billy Batson. The first post-credit scene was annoying as hell to watch due to it. Only one line made me laugh, the blatant product placement one. What a waste.

Wait... When you wrote this - did you mean the first Shazam was pretty bad too, in your opinion?

I never heard about Levi's comments anywhere outside of here. Not one person I know who isn't a fan boy mentioned it. They just said the film seemed kind of blah.

And even CBM fans I know don't talk about the reboot so...

I was talking about his comments and behaviour having an effect on the reviews not the BO. But the reviews would have had an effect on the BO.

Wait... When you wrote this - did you mean the first Shazam was pretty bad too, in your opinion?

I thought it was ok. Trailers ruined it to a large extent, story was telegraphed and the jokes didn't land anymore when watching the movie. Too much juvenile humor for my liking.

d20ba74db749aa5ef9c2465a80515eedfdff2878.gifv

I thought this was kind of a weird movie. I liked it, but it seems too scary and violent for kids, if it's meant to be a "family movie." And yet at times it did feel like it was made for kids...

I was also surprised how many people actually die, though the movie doesn't really focus on it, they just quickly move on to the next scene.

I think its safe to say we won't be seeing anymore shazam or BA for a very very long time.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all but I felt at the time, it was too soon for the shazam family.

It's rather long, sorry, but I would have preferred something like this over what we got. Unfortunately, egos wouldn't permit it

I would have just had shazam facing the villain(s) alone in the first film, and show him having to man up to defeat them.
Cameo by BA at the end, BA saying he's coming for Billy, for his powers, for his seat, etc etc.

Part two would be BA vs Shazam.

BA searches for, and finds Billy.
Billy is more than a little cocky in their first meeting. Full of jokes and taunts.
BA, after hearing the way billy talks, says you're just a child. He then toys with him, testing him.

Of course billy gets his azz handed to him by the much more experienced BA, and pretty badly, But it's more his ego that gets bruised than anything else.
BA lets billy leave. He rather enjoyed the beat down he gave shazam, and wants to do it again later.

Afterwards, billy knows he needs to grow up.
He needs help if he's gonna defeat BA.
So He goes to his family, reveals his secret to the rest, and tells them he needs their help to beat BA, how they can have powers also, but he warns them that It will be very dangerous.
It's their choice.
They all rally around billy and agree to do it.

He takes them to the rock of eternity and he haves them all grab the staff and say the name shazam. They do and instantly transform.

Billy gives them a quick lesson on their new powers, similar to what we saw in shazam only this time billy is the teacher.

I hope I didn't act like this at first, he says with a sigh, and shakes his head.

We see and hear in the background, behind shazam, lots of happy squealing and laughing, with fails at flying, some zoom by at superspeed, we see a large boulder fly by, etc etc.

He finally gets them straightened out and organized.
Decent flying and feats of strength are then seen. And Controlled Burts of speed.
He gathers them together in a line and forms a plan.

We next see them all flying together, heading to face BA.
They land in unison in front of him.

BA laughs at the sight.
More children? He asks shazam.
You insult me! Go away!

He turns to leave, but the youngest member taunts him "we're not kids, she says, we're superheroes".

He ignores her.

What's the matter? She asks, are you scared of a bunch of kids? I think you are. Fight us if you aren't afraid! Coward!!

BA stops in his tracks at this insolence.
He turns, and gives a small chuckle.
he then turns deadly serious.

He looks her dead straight in the eyes.
Ok HERO, show me what you've got.
He opens his arms and closes his eyes.
He even sticks out his chin, as if daring her.

She can't resist the taunt. She instantly flies toward BA, the rest follow.
Billy yells at them to wait, that they had a plan, but they don't listen, and their lack of experience proves BA right. They're just kids.

BA stops her in mid air with a punch that sends her hundreds of feet away.
He's much faster and stronger than they are, save for shazam.
Together, as one, they may have stood a chance, but not now.
The others are met with superspeed punches just as violent.
One by one they fall.

It's brutal.
Male or female, it doesn't matter to BA.
He punches some, and slams others down and through the pavement. He throws one through two buildings.
He picks a car up and slams it down on another.

He takes them out fairly easily. It's over in seconds.

Only billy is left.
He looks around at his family in shock.

BA gives him a shrug and a "so what" look added in for good measure. He smirks.

Anger fills billy. They launch at each other in the air.

Shazam is the closest match to BA in power and he puts up a good fight.
He lands several good punches that send BA backwards.
He even draws blood.
But his inexperience and BA's experience proves the difference

Pressure waves from their punches shatter glass all around in nearby buildings, but BA still has the edge. A final punch and Shazam falls.

He has defeated them all.

We then see all the shazam family laying on the ground, motionless.

BA looks around, triumphant.

He starts to leave, then pauses. He cocks his head.
He looks for the girl who taunted him.
He's going to finish her.
He finds her and stands over her.
She opens her eyes and looks at him.
I'm not afraid of you she says.
I don't care he replies.
He raises both fists high above his head, prepared to strike.

Billy sees this and slowly rises.

Wait!!! He shouts at BA.
I'm not done with you yet.
Blood is flowing from his mouth and dripping off his chin, his eyes are black and swollen, his suit is torn and tattered.
But He is determined.

He limps slowly toward BA.
He's already healing. The limp lessens with each step.

Here at the end, he has finally became the hero he was meant to be.

BA tilts his head in amazement. He turns and walks toward billy.
He then gives billy that classic rock snear.....and motions with one hand "come".
Billy takes a deep breath and heads toward his fate...
It appears this is the end for shazam,

but.......

We hear a faint, familiar, theme.

Shazam and BA both stop and look up.

The theme builds.

BA's snear is now gone, but Billy is smiling from ear to ear.

Billy looks at BA.
( billy is doing a little dance ) Oh Yeah, thats right. you're in for it now.

BA frowns at billy. "Pathetic" he says, and looks back up.
The theme gets Louder.
We then hear a loud whoosh and a landing thud.

We then see Superman standing next to Billy.

He turns his head toward billy.
You ok? You look rough. He looks back at the other members of the shazam family.
Superman tilts his head at them, "They look worse"

Billy- they'll be fine now.
I'm good too. He hits like a girl. Granted, a very strong girl, but I've been hit harder by.....

Superman interrupts - billy, focus.

Billy- oh right..ok, my bad.
( In a forced deeper voice ) Why Yes, Superman, I'm very fine. I'm not hurt. I'm.......

Superman gives a stern look - Relax, billy. Just Relax. Breath. We got this, ok.

Billy nods. Sorry, right. ( deep breath )

Superman - I'm real sorry I'm late btw. I had a thing in Australia I had to deal with...

it's cool billy says with a smile. It's very cool.

Superman motions toward BA - So, Shall we?

Shazam looks amazed. Are you kidding? Absolutely!!

Both launch hard toward BA and double punch him.

We next see BA flying backwards, out of control, through several buildings, and then he hits the street, creating a long deep trench in the pavement from the impact.......

Last edited:
Honestly I could watch a whole movie with just the kids. I liked Freddy in the first one but really loved him in this one and there was some good Billy/Rosa side plot that I wish we got more of. I think the thing I liked least about the movie was Levy as Shazam. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"