Shazam Shazam: Fury of the Gods General News and Discussion Thread

A ½ review of Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023)

Shazam! Fury of the Gods 2023 ½

David F. Sandberg’s review published on Letterboxd:
Billy and Shazam have different personalities. I really wish someone would point this out to the director. Unwatchable!

I know he is mocking himself (as he did with all his movies) but, let's be honest, that's a fair and genuine criticism. I don't understand the logic behind the decision of that characterization.

Nobody's favorite version of anyone should be the Injustice League version :o

At least it beat out Fant4stic domestically.

Last edited:
Crazy. The movie wasn't great by any means but it was entertaining. I thought it would have done better. I wonder what effect BA had on it.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but from the bits I have seen it doesn't seem it deserves to be down there with Fant4stic/Batman & Robin/Catwoman/Elektra/Dark Phoenix. I still think this looks like a fun movie (and I say that as someone who thought the first one was just okay).

PfEJnfw.png

I've heard this type of argument over and over again, about this movie (an even in the first movie) yes, "real world" wise this was partly due to writing of the character an partly due to over-acting on the actors behave... an I'm sure it was never discouraged by the director, either... I get that an all

but, "in movie" explanation, my head-canon on this was simply that as Shazam, Billy just feels/an acts a lot more uninhibited...

not unlike how I act differently now, then when I was a kid... (but in reverse here?)

it seems disconnected... but, given all Billy's been through in his life, he embraces that disconnection ... a chance to be anyone else for a day and unburden himself for those troubles... I would imagine was a very freeing experience for him

That's just......wow, I dunno.

That David F. Sandberg guy also wrote this, man he really hates the Shazam director. :o

7POVaaX.png

Watching this now. Only about half an hour in, but the tonal difference between Billy and Shazam is so strange. Freddy acts SO much more like Shazam does.
I’ll agree with the sentiments others have said; Zachary Levi is miscast in this role. Or at the very least, he should have toned it down a LOT.
Honestly would have preferred Adam Brody or even DJ Cotrona as Shazam.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but from the bits I have seen it doesn't seem it deserves to be down there with Fant4stic/Batman & Robin/Catwoman/Elektra/Dark Phoenix. I still think this looks like a fun movie (and I say that as someone who thought the first one was just okay).

It absolutely does not deserve to be lumped in with those movies. It's better than all of them and a few of the recent MCU efforts also. It's not as good as the first movie by any means. But it's a fun sequel.

It absolutely does not deserve to be lumped in with those movies. It's better than all of them and a few of the recent MCU efforts also. It's not as good as the first movie by any means. But it's a fun sequel.

Yup.
Like Black Adam...its not setting the world on fire...but it is far better than what the reviews and box office say.
And its definitly far above the 2000-2010s bad Comic Book Movies.

Yup.
Like Black Adam...its not setting the world on fire...but it is far better than what the reviews and box office say.
And its definitly far above the 2000-2010s bad Comic Book Movies.

Absolutely, it's better than Black Adam as well which made a lot more. Though I liked both movies to some extent.

Shazam 2 is not a bad movie, period. Its a fun, charming, harmless romp. It's problem is that it doesnt really do anything new and innovative or have any real hook that made people care. In fact I kind of call it "Shazam 1.5"--its an extended epilogue of the first movie, more of the same. It is nowhere near the lower tier cbms though in terms of quality.

Finally saw this, I was a bit bored watching this. I am into female villains but they weren't fun in this. I also couldn't care less about Shazam and the kids. So my interest was really not there while watching it. The vfX also could have been better. Everything just felt so light/surfaced level, despite the world ending threat. The characters weren't really written and the action scenes weren't really impressive. Black Adam and its characters looked cooler in comparison.

But the cameo before the credits was nice. Its too bad though DCEU is abruptly ending this year, and all the major JL faces either just appeared in a recent movie or appearing in an upcoming movie this year. The mid credits scene though looked bad. They could have definitely got someone else instead of two random people.

Its an okay movie but not really memorable. Its a bit forgettable when it comes to recent cb movies.

Saw this on HBOMAX and could barely finish it. Zach Levi turned up the annoying to 11

I haven't seen this, although I definitely will at some point. It bugs me though that they 'wasted' the title Fury of the Gods on it. That should have been a Wonder Woman title. Wonder Woman: Fury of the Gods. Has a ring to it! :ww:

Just finished it. Yeah, not as good as the first but okay. It certainly wasn't Catwoman bad. Good enough to watch for free, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"