Should Marvel Get The Rights Back To All It's Characters?

Green Goblin

Crawling on walls
Reaction score
This is certain to cause debate.

If Marvel had the money should they buy back the rights to all it's characters or is it better that some are at different studios?

Honestly, I feel that the X-Men belong at Fox. There are too many X franchises and if Marvel regained those rights, they'd have to deal with all of the X-characters coming into the MCU and phases getting twice as long.

I wouldn't mind Spider-Man or Fantastic Four coming back to Marvel but I don't want to have to wait until Phase 4.

They wouldn't have the resources or time to make all the movies if they did. A Spidey movie every year, an X-movie every 1-2 years, plus all the other movies they already have in the works.

MS is fine without them.

Fantastic Four should definitely go home. They'd perfectly fit the MCU, and they'd be more interesting if they were tied into it.

FOX should keep X-Men. It's a massive universe of its own and deserves more focus than it would with Marvel.

As a Raimi Spider-Man fan, I'm content with what I have already, but it would have meant more if it was rebooted to fit the MCU. Too late to do that now though.

No, they simply wouldn't have the time or resources to do anything with the vast majority of them. Plus, the pressure to just focus on "big name" properties would ensure that lesser-properties would be shoved to the background. Also, I think that Marc Webb's Spider-Man could work in the MCU already. It's not that grounded, it had a ten-foot tall Lizard man in the first movie and a blue electric Jamie Foxx in the new one.

I'm happy they don't own X-Men and Spider-Man but for completely opposite reasons.

On the other hand, I do wish Marvel had Kingpin and Fantastic Four/Dr. Doom/Galactus/Silver Surfer.

I agree, I don't really mind.

I like shared universes but more Marvel goodness is better.

I only want Fantastic Four to return to Marvel, mostly for Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer, Galactus and Skrulls. They belong in MCU.

X-men and Spider-man being the lifeblood of Sony and Fox means a steady stream of those movies indefinitely.

and if you don't think these major characters couldn't get shelved look at Warner Bros output for the last 20 years. Only Batman has more than 2 movies.

I'd like Spidey and FF back at Marvel, yes. Wouldn't mind X-Men staying at Fox.

X-Men belongs to Fox, not just in a rights sense. they've developed the movies over thirten years, sure they had a lull in the middle but are doing great with the franchise.

Same with Sony and Spider-Man, the Reboot is very promising, i liked the first but understand the issues with retelling the origin, rest of the movie was great and the sequels are shaping up very nicely.

F4 have had bad movies, but in the years since Fox has changed and i feel they can provide a great series of movies.

All are fine where they are. though i would like Daredevil and Iron Fist at Sony to be part of the SCU.

I addition i find Marvel, Fox and Sony to be around equal in movie quality overall.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Marvel Studios can barely keep up with all the heroes they do have the rights for. Adding more isn't going to fix that. As long as we're dreaming, it would be better if the studios could somehow find a way to cooperate, but the chances of that actually happening is close to nil.

My vote is yes. I don't want a larger number of Marvel movies if they're going to come out like X3, Origins, FF, FF2, Elektra... etc.
I'd rather nothing gets made at all than see a group of characters I love butchered for corporate profit.

Everything but X-Men Id like to see back at Marvel. And thats because the size of that world leads to multiple films in itself, not because they don't fit. They can fit fine. I just doubt Marvel could keep up with that many X films at the moment, so keep em at Fox. The down side of X-Men not going to Marvel is that their Marketing and presence would be insane at Disney. Thor, Cap and Iron Man are starting to have a much larger part within Disney parks, family vacationing etc. If they had that stuff at Disneyland when I was a kid I would have flipped my ****. Things on that level have massive influence, and it's only gonna build.

Ultimately I have no problem with other studios as long as the films are good. But the thought of having all these poroperties in one world is one I could not pass on.

Last edited:
In theory, I'd like them to get back all the rights. This is less about them making movies for all of them, though, and more about them being able to *reference* all their portfolio without running into license issues.

In practice, the only rights I *really* want back are Fantastic Four. They can live without Spider-man, and by this point the X-Men wouldn't fit into the MCU anyway.

I would be open to FF returning to Marvel simply because I think that Doctor Doom would be a fantastic villain to use in a future MCU film, perhaps even an Avengers film.

The X-Men has it's own friggin huge universe that they could do anything in. Fox seems to finally be realizing that. I am fine with Fox keeping X-Men as long as they make good movies. If they turd it up, I want them to lose the rights. Singer back in control has me getting high hopes again.

I do wish Marvel had Fantastic Four and Spider-Man. I would love to see the Avengers fight Doom and Galactus alongside Spider-Man. We could still get awesome Spider-Man solo movies fighting Ock and Goblin but man...so many possibilities.

Yes. I want a new X-Men continuity, it's been tainted by The Last Stand and X Men Origins Wolverine.

Also it'd be really awesome to have Spidey interact with Johnny Storm or SHIELD or The Avengers every once in a while.

And Fantastic Four would be a perfect fit for the MCU, I'd love to see what they'd do with the F4, it'd certainly be better than whatever Fox is working on with F4 right now. How great would it be to have Dr. Doom face off against the Avengers. I wish the MCU were able to use Silver Surfer and Galactus now that they're getting into the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe.

I would like to see Spidey go back to Marvel Studios because I'm just not excited with what Sony is doing to Spider-Man and his universe isn't really that big and I doubt Sony would ever release a Spidey spin-off film. And I would like to see Fantastic Four go back to Marvel Studios if Fox can't pull off the reboot.

For the X-Men, they should stay with FOX forever!

I would like to see Spidey go back to Marvel Studios because I'm just not excited with what Sony is doing to Spider-Man and his universe isn't really that big and I doubt Sony would ever release a Spidey spin-off film. And I would like to see Fantastic Four go back to Marvel Studios if Fox can't pull off the reboot.

For the X-Men, they should stay with FOX forever!

I fail to see how "Spider-Man and his universe isn't really that big" - just because he's confined to NYC doesn't mean his universe is small. He's got enough of a supporting cast & plenty of villains to keep him busy without crossing over to the Avengers franchise. In my opinion, he has some of the best villains of any Marvel hero - Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Doc Ock, Venom, Carnage, Lizard, Electro, Rhino, Mysterio, Vulture, Scorpion, Kraven, Kingpin, just to name a few of the most recognizable ones.

Now you're certainly entitled to your opinion in not being excited about what Sony is currently offering, but I just don't see how is universe is small. Personally, I liked TASM a lot and thought Garfield did a great job. I'm looking forward to the next installment and hope Sony continues to put out Spidey films. I've always felt Spider-Man was shoehorned into the Avengers roster solely because he was one of Marvel's most popular characters and not out of any logical reasoning. I'd rather him and his universe be separate from that world... really, the only crossover that I'd be interested in seeing is a Spidey/Daredevil team-up to take down the Kingpin.

When it's all said and done, I think X-Men & Spider-Man are fine where they stand. FF is the property that adds the most to the MCU due to supporting characters that come with it and that's the only franchise that I really want to see back with Marvel.

FF and Spidey, hell yes! Spider-Man can be a part of the MCU without necessarily being an Avenger.

X-Men, no thanks. Fox can keep 'em. Even with the comics, I've felt that the world of the X-Men and the world of superheroes have never really meshed. I wish the comics had the X-Men in a separate continuity. I know there have been some pretty good crossover arcs, but still... I'd rather keep them separate.

My vote is yes. I don't want a larger number of Marvel movies if they're going to come out like X3, Origins, FF, FF2, Elektra... etc.
I'd rather nothing gets made at all than see a group of characters I love butchered for corporate profit.

Thankfully those days are long gone.

I'd say just get back the FF rights.

Being that some, if not most, of what the FF deal with involves space it would make sense especially with Guardians of the Galaxy being released.

Plus when you think about it, with the exception of Xavier, Beast, and Parker; MCU's got some of the more intelligent minds in the Marvel Universe, it wouldn't feel right not to have Reed Richards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"