Is Marvel Studios having the rights to all Marvel Characters a good or bad thing?

Reaction score
I just want to take a break from the events happening throughout the world to talk about this. Since DC Comics has the film/live-action rights to all its characters, do you think Marvel Studios should be the same? I known we have Sony sharing rights and of course the Disney/Fox merger so we have kind of have a unified Marvel. People are of different positions of its good for Marvel to have all the rights or no it is a bad idea. I personally think Marvel Studios should have the rights to all of their characters, if DC has it why can't Marvel? What is your position on this topic?

Last edited:
Both Sony and Fox started well but then let their standards drop. The best long term stewards for the rights are likely Marvel themselves. I’m glad DC didn’t have any of these issues.

Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that Marvel are now no longer restricted by pesky rights issues and they could finally make a good FF film, and do a movie about the X-Men that’s closer to the spirit of the source material.

But no, in the sense that Marvel wasn’t as experimental as Fox was with their comic book movies, and with Fox being gone that actually risks the genre becoming a little too homogenous and stale. Marvel Studios would’ve never have made an R-rated Unforgiven-inspired Wolverine movie, nor would’ve they have made a raunchy R-rated Deadpool movie.

Deadpool, especially, felt like a fresh breath of air from the usual superhero fare in that it smartly poked fun at the genre and its tropes that had become tired at that point. Marvel Studios is more consistent than Fox, sure, but Fox was the one studio that was really trying to push the envelope for what you can do with the genre. With Fox being gone, along the Netflix Marvel Universe essentially defunct, if it weren’t for the Sony-verse movies as well as the DC films then all we’d be left with are the family-friendly MCU proper movies and shows.

Which I think is a problem for me. DC in comparison has more variety. In DC, they can release an R-rated stand-alone Joker movie in the same year as their PG-13 family friendly Shazam movie and no one blinks an eye. Marvel Studios can’t do that, and aren’t interested in doing R-rated movies besides DP. So there is both good and bad aspects to Marvel gaining control of all their characters.

Last edited:
I liked Fox's output more than Marvel's, overall (and in particular with their X-Men properties), but I wouldn't really want Fox to own everything Marvel, either. Having a film genre as prominent as superheroes are night now be dominated by two studios risks everything getting too samey. That I'm not that enthusiastic about some common elements of Marvel Studios films (the shared universe aspect, the MCU house aesthetic, the frequent quippyness) doesn't help matters any.

I think for edgier characters, it may be a con. Until Marvel Studios shows us how they're going to handle those characters. The fear of them being tamed is valid. But we won't really know what that looks like probably until Moon Knight or Blade.

I don't think it's a good thing. The X-Men work as well being on their own and therefore having their own approach in depicting the government and society, I think Spider-Man only works really well in teaming up with Daredevil or the Fantastic Four while with the Avengers he's too likely to be reduced to comic relief. I also don't like that with some big universe-wide changed status you pretty much have to have seen the crossovers, the appearances' in others' movies, to understand stand-alones (and OTOH having seen too much individual installments can seem contradictory).

Totally a good thing.

Marvel Studios is seriously the first company to give us a living, breathing, comic book. It's astonishing how they rebuilt their comic world into live action. All of their heroes should be playing in their sandbox, it's only right.

And clearly from the box office, it's what the people want.

Yes and no. Yes in the sense, that Marvel are now no longer restricted by pesky rights issues and they could finally make a good FF film, and do a movie about the X-Men that’s closer to the spirit of the source material.

But no, in the sense that Marvel wasn’t as experimental as Fox was with their comic book movies, and with Fox being gone that actually risks the genre becoming a little too homogenous and stale. Marvel Studios would’ve never have made an R-rated Unforgiven-inspired Wolverine movie, nor would’ve they have made a raunchy R-rated Deadpool movie.

Deadpool, especially, felt like a fresh breath of air from the usual superhero fare in that it smartly poked fun at the genre and its tropes that had become tired at that point. Marvel Studios is more consistent than Fox, sure, but Fox was the one studio that was really trying to push the envelope for what you can do with the genre. With Fox being gone, along the Netflix Marvel Universe essentially defunct, if it weren’t for the Sony-verse movies as well as the DC films then all we’d be left with are the family-friendly MCU proper movies and shows.

Fox only got experimental with their films way late in the game with Deadpool and Logan, and a big part of that was to compete with what Marvel Studios was doing. I also believe that we'll definitely be seeing R-rated MCU films down the line, especially if they'll be bringing Deadpool into the fold.

Fox only got experimental with their films way late in the game with Deadpool and Logan, and a big part of that was to compete with what Marvel Studios was doing. I also believe that we'll definitely be seeing R-rated MCU films down the line, especially if they'll be bringing Deadpool into the fold.

We'll see how they handle them. I love the MCU, obviously. But, we haven't really seen the movies venture out of that family friendly comfort zone. Until they do it, I think it's valid to worry. Especially since they've actively avoided it for well over a decade.

It's a good thing.

I'm sorry if this is controversial and all...but Logan wasn't even in my Top 5 comic book films. Yes it was different. It was dark bleak and emotional. That's fine and all as a one-off, but that's not my preference.

I also liked Deadpool. Deadpool was fun, it was refreshing, it was different. It was something we needed at the time. But then look at Deadpool 2. It was nowhere near as good.

And now look at the garbage Sony is trying to do. Venom was mediocre at best. Morbius looks awful.

It's good that they have them in that they don't have to worry about trading with Fox for rights to things like Ego. But long term who knows. We'll get a lot of PG-13 films, but it's doubtful we'll see an R rated film. Not sure if they'll saturate the market or spread themselves to thin and ruin the system by cranking out to much at once.

Kevin Feige was the guy who brought everyone together and pulled off the MCU. If they lose him, or pull him in to many directions it's all lost. He'll need a good creative team below him that maintains continuity and understands the characters and what's acceptable and what isn't in terms of change. That's been DCs biggest problem. They don't understand what they can and can't change. Wouldn't be surprised if in the next Superman reboot we end up with a hopeless and dark Superman from a happy family on Mars in a green suit who doesnt try to do the right thing and kills weaker humans when he feels like it for sport because he considers himself worthy, just, and godlike.

Hot take:Tbh the MCU having all the rights to their characters, would be the equivalent of every Marvel comic felt samey. imagine reading a Daredevil comic and a thor comic, and feeling like u got the same general feeling/experience. Just nah man. I generally believe the MCU hasn't been cabable of replicating the diversity in asthetic and tone of their comic counterparts. Its fine if u disagree tho.

Look at the Marvel Netflix shows. They were all very dark, edgy, intense and adult. They were all M-Rated.

And while they started strong, they all generally dipped in quality by the end. And they were nowhere near as good as they could've been or as good as the initial promise.

Look at the Marvel Netflix shows. They were all very dark, edgy, intense and adult. They were all M-Rated.

And while they started strong, they all generally dipped in quality by the end. And they were nowhere near as good as they could've been or as good as the initial promise.
Do you count Marvel Tv as part of Marvel Studios or a separate studio? Because to me they are/were two separate studios.

Marvel Tv was/is highly inconsistent as well and a lot of Marvel tv shows were held back due to having abudget of a tv show.

Do you count Marvel Tv as part of Marvel Studios or a separate studio? Because to me they are/were two separate studios.

Marvel Tv was/is highly inconsistent as well and a lot of Marvel tv shows were held back due to having abudget of a tv show.

They are separate but they tried promoting it as ITS ALL CONNECTED beforehand. At the start of it, we saw it all as one before it became abundantly clear it was not.

But at the same time, those shows were nothing like the PG-13 Marvel MCU.

Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that Marvel are now no longer restricted by pesky rights issues and they could finally make a good FF film, and do a movie about the X-Men that’s closer to the spirit of the source material.

Which I think is a problem for me. DC in comparison has more variety. In DC, they can release an R-rated stand-alone Joker movie in the same time year as their PG-13 family friendly Shazam movie and no one blinks an eye. Marvel Studios can’t do that, and aren’t interested in doing R-rated movies besides DP. So there is both good and bad aspects to Marvel gaining control of all their characters.
If there's one thing that concerns me, it's Marvel seems to have a fondness for comedy these days. I'm one of the few people who didn't like Ragnarok,, and they also have Disney holding their leashes, so I'm concerned about the future of Deadpool and X Men.

If you diversify and do interesting things with the products, then it's a good thing.

Shazam, Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman- all DC films in the same universe, all vastly different tones. With the MCU, yeah people make the argument that the movies feel like they just come off an assembly line with the same sort of humor, especially after Guardians of the Galaxy.

One of the nice things about the Netflix shows and, though I never watched them, Cloak and Dagger or The Runaways, is that because they weren't doing things that impacted the films and were on different avenues instead of on film, you could do different things. Admittedly, episodic format grants you that versus a film, but the tones of those shows isn't something, at least the Netflix shows, isn't something you've seen on film.

Even the X-Men series did this later on with the likes of Deadpool, Logan, Legion on FX, and everything that Boone has shown of New Mutants. So in short, while it's probably nice for fans that Marvel Studios has the rights to a chunk of its characters, it doesn't matter in the end if you don't do something interesting or make something noteworthy of them. Something that leaves a lasting impression, you know?

I understand that whole risky part in terms of certain characters. I've always been against a R rated CBM for the sake of it. Spider-man, Superman should never be Rated R movies. You want to do Joker, Punisher, Blade? Sure.

Spider-Man is the perfect example of the issue I have with a Studio not having the rights to all the marvel characters. We've seen three iterations of Spider-Man over the span of 14 years, four if you include ITSV and add 2 more years. Sony has essentially 1 primary character and a bunch of secondary and mostly tertiary characters that they are trying to make a universe on hoping they can latch on the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"