Should Marvel Get The Rights Back To All It's Characters?

it'd be cool if the studios came to a trade agreement to maybe loan out certain characters to one an other, for crossovers, and such...

but, I wouldn't want Marvel to monopolize all the characters

I'd love it if all 3 could enter a cooperative agreement with Marvel Studios having creative control. Then the work load could be spread evenly as it's too much for any one studio and Fox & Sony would still get a hefty share of the profits while opening up countless new avenues for their films. But that'll never happen.

I'd love it if all 3 could enter a cooperative agreement with Marvel Studios having creative control. Then the work load could be spread evenly as it's too much for any one studio and Fox & Sony would still get a hefty share of the profits while opening up countless new avenues for their films. But that'll never happen.

It's just not practical. When you consider that a studio only gets 50 cents on the dollar of every ticket, and each $200 M film usually comes with a $100 M P&A budget, you're looking at these films needing $600 M to break even. When you start splitting those profits 3 ways, it becomes a poor business decision. It's about greed, it would simply be poor business, and not in the best interest of any of these companies.

It's just not practical. When you consider that a studio only gets 50 cents on the dollar of every ticket, and each $200 M film usually comes with a $100 M P&A budget, you're looking at these films needing $600 M to break even. When you start splitting those profits 3 ways, it becomes a poor business decision. It's about greed, it would simply be poor business, and not in the best interest of any of these companies.

and thats not counting actors who are getting points on the back end.

and thats not counting actors who are getting points on the back end.

Yes...we'd basically wind up with a movie that would need to do Titanic, if not Avatar numbers, just for those involved to see the same money they would off an $800 M dollar grossing film.

The only studio that would come out on top would be Fox, who have yet to push a Superhero movie passed $500 M.

Last edited:
Yes...we'd basically wind up with a movie that would need to do Titanic, if not Avatar numbers, just for those involved to see the same money they would off an $800 M dollar grossing film.

The only studio that would come out on top would be Fox, who have yet to push a Superhero movie past $500 M.

exactly…there's a reason why this hasn't been done already

They couldn't even get a deal on putting a building in the background. "Why should I pay one of my FX people to put in a building just to promote your movie?"

Disney/Marvel - Okay, so we agree to share production costs equal. We will also split profits, with our organization obviously receiving a much larger share due to the fact that we control both the most successful solo superhero character in Iron Man as well as the biggest superhero franchise of all time in the Avengers.

Sony - Excuse me? Iron Man is the most successful superhero character in the Marvel stable? Let me know how it works out for you after you recast. See, we've already done it to great success. Spider-Man has been and always will be Marvel's #1 star, and our willingness to share him with the two of you entitles us to a larger share of the profits.

FOX - First of all, there wouldn't be any profits to be shared here if FOX didn't suck it up and put the X-Men into production back when your superhero cinematic options were a Superman or a Batman film every three years. Secondly, Hugh's Wolverine is a certifiable A lister who has stood the test of time. Thirdly, you want to talk about stars? In addition to Jackman we've got Fassbender, McAvoy, Paquin, Page, Berry, Stewart, Hoult and JENNIFER FREAKIN' LAWRENCE. If anyone is getting a larger piece of the pie, it's going to be us.

Disney/Marvel - Screw the two of you. Sony, good luck with your Spider-Man films that don't have Spider-Man in them. And FOX, I've got one word for you - INHUMANS.

Sony - To hell with you. And don't expect us to do you any favors when Downey, Evans and Hemsworth hang up their costumes in 2018.

FOX - Oh no! Not the Inhumans! However will our roster of characters compete with the likes of Blackagar Boltagon? Oh, and if you're looking to sign away the character rights to the Disney Princesses or Star Wars characters in perpetuity, be sure to give us a ring.

the box office numbers, is hardly their only profit (BO is basically they breaking even point) they make the really money in merchandising and DVD sales, anyway

It's weird being in a world where WB/DC owns the rights to a Marvel movie trilogy and yet these 3 can't come to terms. That just strikes me as funny.

marvel owns the characters to begin with
it SHOULD be able to reclaim the franchises

I thought Blade reverted back to Marvel Studios?

Yeah, Blade is back in the Marvel fold. New Line getting absorbed into Warner Bros. did the franchise no favors.

I don't see Marvel doing anything with Blade, at least not under it's current MCU phase.

I don't see Marvel doing anything with Blade, at least not under it's current MCU phase.
I wouldn't be surprised to see characters like Blade and the Punisher get Netflix shows if the Defenders series is successful. They really don't fit Disney's strategy of releasing PG-13 movies for the masses and they don't fit in with Disney's television networks due to the R/TV-MA ratings the materials contain. But Netflix on the other hand is a good place to allow those characters to be utilized without Disney's strategy being thrown out of wonk.

I thought Blade reverted back to Marvel Studios?

It did but usually the outside studio retains the rights to the films they already made. So the Blade trilogy is likely in the hands of WB now.

It did but usually the outside studio retains the rights to the films they already made. So the Blade trilogy is likely in the hands of WB now.

Doesn't Marvel have the right to make future projects if they want to? In other words, like Star Wars and Indiana Jones?

In regards to Spider-Man and MCU, I don't mind it one bit if there are those "blink or you'll miss them" references in the ASM movies. Example, a warehouse owned by Oscorp that features crates with the label "Stark Industries" or someone in the park reading a book about the Howling Commandos.

Yes, Marvel can continue to use Blade since they now have the rights back. I was only talking about the 3 already made....and probably that ill-fated TV show. Those were made by other studios who had the rights then. And I think they still own those things they made with the character.

In regards to Spider-Man and MCU, I don't mind it one bit if there are those "blink or you'll miss them" references in the ASM movies. Example, a warehouse owned by Oscorp that features crates with the label "Stark Industries" or someone in the park reading a book about the Howling Commandos.

I wouldn't mind either, but the fact is that it will create a larger call for cameos and crossovers which is not an option for financial reasons. They have to be in separate universes, or they have to be under the same company.

There WILL come a point at which they will have to get involved with some sort of cooperative or release the rights or whatever. It's inevitable. Eventually that will be the only creative path left unexplored.

How is that inevitable? Even if they ran out of their 3000+ characters, they can make new ones rather than bringing in the ones that are licensed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"