Is there a list of characters Marvel has the rights to?

BenKenobi

Civilian
Reaction score
I was a bit surprised that Marvel had the rights to the Skrulls, Ronan, the Kree, and Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch. Is there any where that shows which companies have the rights to which characters? Also is it true that Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch are the only characters Marvel shares the rights too? I've heard they are but that seems awfully convenient for them to have that great of foresight to negotiate such terms, not to mention Kevin Feige referred to the situation as pertaining to "Special Circumstances" which implies to me there are others that fall into this category. (Maybe the Beetle for example?) Anyway anyone have any answers?

I was a bit surprised that Marvel had the rights to the Skrulls, Ronan, the Kree, and Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch. Is there any where that shows which companies have the rights to which characters? Also is it true that Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch are the only characters Marvel shares the rights too? I've heard they are but that seems awfully convenient for them to have that great of foresight to negotiate such terms, not to mention Kevin Feige referred to the situation as pertaining to "Special Circumstances" which implies to me there are others that fall into this category. (Maybe the Beetle for example?) Anyway anyone have any answers?

They have the film rights to Ant Man, Wasp, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, The Inhumans and can introduce Avengers such as The Vision, Monica Rambeau, Wonder Man, Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) and She Hulk as well as characters such as Moon Knight and The Punisher if they choose to.

They cannot add though any Avengers who have been X-Men outside of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

Pretty much marvel has the rights to anything that isnt

Spiderman- and his rouge gallery
Mutants-outside of QS and wanda
fantastic 4 and their rouge gallery
Narmor- don;t know why universal still has that

Okay, what matters is that a character has a significant role in one or more properties.

For instance, Marvel can use the Skrulls because they're related to the Hulk, but they're also important to the Fantastic Four. Super Skrull is solely related to the Fantastic Four so Marvel can't use him.

Mutants who lack decades of history with The Avengers can't join the MCU. That means that Wolverine, Storm, Rogue and Havok are still with Fox alone. The only exception other than Quicksilver and SW is Beast but Marvel can't call him a mutant which is so integral to his identity that he'll probably never be part of the MCU.

Ronan is part of the MCU. I'd suspect that the Kree as a race are also as well. That said, I can imagine that Ronan can also pop up in the Fantastic Four films down the line but most named Kree from the comics (Quasar, Wraith, Magnitron, Supreme Intelligence, etc) can't because Marvel owns the rights to Guardians of the Galaxy, Inhumans and Ms. Marvel so much like Beast, it's not worth it to include him.

Sony shares rights with Marvel over Kingpin since he's part of both Spider-Man and Daredevil rights.

Fox has a loophole whereby they can use all properties related to X-Men and Fantastic Four. This means that Captain Britain, Alpha Flight, Starjammers and Silver Surfer spin-offs are a possibility.

I'm not sure where the rights to the Brood lie but they're probably shared as they're both tied to the X-Men and Ms. Marvel.

I have no idea which Shi'Ar characters belong to which studio. They're tied to Ms. Marve, Avengers and Guardians but Fox could also sue claiming that they're part of the X-Men or Fantastic Four rights and they'd have a point. That's the one property that I'm the least sure about.

Everything except X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man related characters.

Pretty much marvel has the rights to anything that isnt

Spiderman- and his rouge gallery
Mutants-outside of QS and wanda
fantastic 4 and their rouge gallery
Narmor- don;t know why universal still has that

Yep, and all their supporting characters too obviously.

And I think through Fantastic 4 some of the aliens races have dual rights between Fox and Marvel.

Okay, what matters is that a character has a significant role in one or more properties.

For instance, Marvel can use the Skrulls because they're related to the Hulk, but they're also important to the Fantastic Four. Super Skrull is solely related to the Fantastic Four so Marvel can't use him.

Mutants who lack decades of history with The Avengers can't join the MCU. That means that Wolverine, Storm, Rogue and Havok are still with Fox alone. The only exception other than Quicksilver and SW is Beast but Marvel can't call him a mutant which is so integral to his identity that he'll probably never be part of the MCU.

Ronan is part of the MCU. I'd suspect that the Kree as a race are also as well. That said, I can imagine that Ronan can also pop up in the Fantastic Four films down the line but most named Kree from the comics (Quasar, Wraith, Magnitron, Supreme Intelligence, etc) can't because Marvel owns the rights to Guardians of the Galaxy, Inhumans and Ms. Marvel so much like Beast, it's not worth it to include him.

Sony shares rights with Marvel over Kingpin since he's part of both Spider-Man and Daredevil rights.

Fox has a loophole whereby they can use all properties related to X-Men and Fantastic Four. This means that Captain Britain, Alpha Flight, Starjammers and Silver Surfer spin-offs are a possibility.

I'm not sure where the rights to the Brood lie but they're probably shared as they're both tied to the X-Men and Ms. Marvel.

I have no idea which Shi'Ar characters belong to which studio. They're tied to Ms. Marve, Avengers and Guardians but Fox could also sue claiming that they're part of the X-Men or Fantastic Four rights and they'd have a point. That's the one property that I'm the least sure about.

Thanks for giving me a detailed answer that addressed my question (instead of just assuming I didn't understand different studios owned the properties). I figured Havok, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Etc couldn't be Avengers since at the time the deal was struck they weren't a part of the team and if that were the case Marvel would just have to write any character they wanted into their current line up and they'd be good.

Anyway I'm guessing since Marvel doesn't have the rights to Mutants and Feige has been name dropping the Inhumans as a potential property that's what Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch will be. I mean Pietro was married to Crystal for awhile, they've been popping up a lot more in recent comics, and using a billion dollar franchise to introduce an unknown title is brilliant marketing.

Oh and on a side note I don't understand why Universal has Namor? He's much better suited in the hands of Marvel or Fox. I like him better as a villain/anti-hero than as a stand alone property.

Shi'ar are Xmen characters, although I will say there are some characters that do look like Shi'ar, particularly Deathbird(I maybe saying the name wrong)that are appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy that I have seen.

The Following are characters/ races / groups that I could see as split rights:

Sony / Disney:

Kingpin
Scarecrow
Silver Sable
Swarm
Vermin

Fox / Disney:

Captain Britain
Klaw
Kang (Marvel might own Kang, while Fox owns the rights to the name "Nathaniel Richards" and "Rama Tut.")
Quicksilver
Scarlet Witch
The Watcher
Vulcan

Kree Race
Sh'iar Race
Skrull Race

Any other possible splits?

Scarecrow was a part of the Ghost Rider deal. He's back at Marvel.

Sony / Disney:

Kingpin
Scarecrow
Silver Sable
Swarm
Vermin

Fox / Disney:

Captain Britain
Klaw
Kang (Marvel might own Kang, while Fox owns the rights to the name "Nathaniel Richards" and "Rama Tut.")
Quicksilver
Scarlet Witch
The Watcher
Vulcan

Kree Race
Sh'iar Race
Skrull Race

Kang was actually the one that got me thinking. Vulcan I can't see being split since his creation came about after the X-Men deal.

Marvel we know has the rights to the Kree and the Skrulls (The Kree coming into Guardians and the Skrulls originally to be used in Avengers but scrapped so they could be "saved for a bigger project"). Kang is really iffy, yes the character appeared in the Fantastic Four, but he's much more an Avengers villain and Rama-Tut was an old identity. The only thing he really has linking him to them is his lineage. Anyway if Fox doesn't have the rights to the Kree, the Skrulls, or Kang I really don't see how they could hope to establish a universe for them. The Fan Four are great but they're also some of the most misswritten characters in the Marvel Universe.

Also some others I thought of:

Sony/Fox
Hydro-Man (Spider-Man/Frightful Four)

Sony/Marvel
The Beetle/Mach V (given the character was largely a marvel wide misc. foe until the foundation of the thunderbolts.)

Kang was actually the one that got me thinking. Vulcan I can't see being split since his creation came about after the X-Men deal.

Marvel we know has the rights to the Kree and the Skrulls (The Kree coming into Guardians and the Skrulls originally to be used in Avengers but scrapped so they could be "saved for a bigger project"). Kang is really iffy, yes the character appeared in the Fantastic Four, but he's much more an Avengers villain and Rama-Tut was an old identity. The only thing he really has linking him to them is his lineage. Anyway if Fox doesn't have the rights to the Kree, the Skrulls, or Kang I really don't see how they could hope to establish a universe for them. The Fan Four are great but they're also some of the most misswritten characters in the Marvel Universe.

Also some others I thought of:

Sony/Fox
Hydro-Man (Spider-Man/Frightful Four)

Sony/Marvel
The Beetle/Mach V (given the character was largely a marvel wide misc. foe until the foundation of the thunderbolts.)

Vulcan actually ticks all the same boxes as Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. He's related to famous X-Men, and he's a mutant. However, many of his stories (including his crowning story, War of Kings) were told outside of the X-universe.

Sony probably has the rights to Hydro-Man just like they had the rights to Sandman (who also fought the F4.)

Beetle is probably a split rights case, though neither company has a huge incentive to use him right now.

Last edited:

Sony / Disney:

Kingpin
Scarecrow
Silver Sable
Swarm
Vermin

Fox / Disney:

Captain Britain
Klaw
Quicksilver
Scarlet Witch
The Watcher
Vulcan

Kree Race
Sh'iar Race
Skrull Race

The Brood possibly. And Viper/Madame Hydra.

And off topic but maybe

Universal/Fox:
Namor? (since he's a mutant)

Namor isn't split. Universal outright has his rights, inexplicably. He's only very technically a mutant, in a similar but even more distant manner to how Franklin Richards is technically a mutant. He's not, in any way shape or form, an X-character.

( yes, he's appeared as part of the X-Men. . . in terrible comics that, more importantly, long post-date the contracts involved )

I always associated Namor with FF anyway.

I wish they had Spidey and Fantastic Four. Honestly, X-Men really have always been their own thing. Yes, they're part of the "Marvel universe," but it always seems kind of forced. So, I am fine with that being separate.

The only way Spider-Man becomes a part of the MCU right now is if Sony decides to sell Sony Pictures and Disney buys it.

However, the two sides (Marvel and Sony) are very friendly with each other. There's always the possibility both co-produce the next two Spider-Man films.

Vulcan actually ticks all the same boxes as Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. He's related to famous X-Men, and he's a mutant. However, many of his stories (including his crowning story, War of Kings) were told outside of the X-universe.

Sony probably has the rights to Hydro-Man just like they had the rights to Sandman (who also fought the F4.)

Beetle is probably a split rights case, though neither company has a huge incentive to use him right now.

Keep in mind he's written as the third summers brother and Mister Sinister has been hinting at his existence long before his first appearance. I'm not saying he doesn't meet that criteria just think if this were to be disputed in court that Fox would come out on top because Marvel already knew the terms arranged when they conceptualized the character, whereas QS and SW were conceived 30 years prior.

If they ever made a Thunderbolts movie Beetle could be a good choice protagonist. After all I believe his origin involved him stealing from Tony Stark and Marvel has traditionally liked to give their movies some sort of link to Iron Man.

I always associated Namor with FF anyway.

I wish they had Spidey and Fantastic Four. Honestly, X-Men really have always been their own thing. Yes, they're part of the "Marvel universe," but it always seems kind of forced. So, I am fine with that being separate.

I don't really care much that they don't have Spider-Man. Historically Spidey deals with street level crime, and his attempts to join the Avengers were always rejected. I'd much rather they kept true to the roster that existed for 40 years rather than the one they created to market to fans of the movies.

The Fantastic Four however I feel would be in better hands with Marvel. They aren't traditional superheroes as Fox tried to sell them as, nor are they a sitcom (like Fox and animation often tries to depict them as), they're like superhero Star Trek. They explore strange worlds like the Negative Zone, they make contact with alien life forms such as the Skrulls, the Kree, and the Silver Surfer, their greatest enemy often fights them in the form of intellectual contests. IMO that would be a nice variety to through in the mix that I'm POSITVE Marvel would alter their arranged 2016-2021 schedule to accommodate if they were able to.

The MCU had better get the rights to SubMariner. He can be a future anti-hero who goes against the team at first, the joins the Avengers.

If they do add Namor to the MCU, I would like to see him as part of the MCU's Cabal.

I don't really want a cabal yet. Shouldn't we like these characters before we start finding out what evil, sneaky bastards they are?

Submariner needs to be part of the Avengers saga. There's only so many Namor stories that can come out of a Fantastic Four affiliation.

Submariner needs to be part of the Avengers saga. There's only so many Namor stories that can come out of a Fantastic Four affiliation.

I agree. To me, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, and Namor represented the logical "next four" solo characters for Marvel Studios after "the Big Four." Finding out Namor was still at Universal was a bit of a blow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"