Something new (advice please!)

greenrage36

pimpin' it Gamma-Style...
Reaction score
Hey folks..some of you may have seen my posting over on the Marvel side of the street, but in case not I have a birthday coming up and was thinking of making a little trip down to my local comic book shop. I've been out of the comic collecting scene for around 10+ years, and as far as what's been going on in the DC universe..I am a little curious as to what would be a good, new pick-up for my comic haul.
My main focus will be on Marvel..at least for this time, but I'd like to touch base here @ DC as well. I think I'll probably go after one of the stalwarts here (Batman, Supes, Green Lantern), but I'd also like something a little newer..maybe something I haven't heard of . It can be cosmic-style..it could be plain ol' traditional super-hero in tights, it could be horror/mystical...I'm wide open to suggestions...so let me know what I should take a gander at...

oh yeah...THANKS in advance! Between all the comic movies coming out lately and the enthusiasm I see on the board here...well, let's just say things aren't looking too good for my financial budget in the near future...lol.
:bh:

my fave books right now are green lantern corps, secret six, & booster gold... i highly suggest checking them out!

my fave books right now are green lantern corps, secret six, & booster gold... i highly suggest checking them out!
Hmmmm...what's involved with the Secret Six? Is it a newer series or in a certain story arc that I could jump right in, or would I need to hash it out through a few back issues?

Hmmmm...what's involved with the Secret Six? Is it a newer series or in a certain story arc that I could jump right in, or would I need to hash it out through a few back issues?
It's a new series, currently at #8. There were two six-issue minis that preceded it, but they're hardly mandatory, just some extra backstory if you want it (personally, I liked them better than the current series).

Green Lantern Corps is my favorite DC ongoing right now, so I'll recommend that too.

And then with Vertigo, there's a hell of lot to read there too.

Get R.E.B.E.L.S. It'll probably need the sales, is relatively new, and the first three issues have been awesome. And from Vertigo, I'd recommend Fables.

R.E.B.E.L.S....? Can you at least throw me a teency-weency bone on this one? I'm all for helping out a new series...but what's involved in this one?

Also the above for Fables..although that sounds..familiar for some reason...hmmmm.

such as.............?

Y-The Last man
Fables
Preacher
Sandman

From Wildstorm you got

Planetary
The Authority (Warren Ellis through Mark Millar runs. Everything after that is kinda.....meh)
Wildcats volume 2 - 3 (Leaps and bounds better than the crap from the early 90's)
Majestic
Ed Brubaker's Sleeper (about a government agent placed deep undercover into a criminal syndicate, and the only guy that knows hes still a good guy gets shot in the head.)

its a newer series... probably 6 issues in... i cant believe i forgot R.E.B.E.L.S.! its AWESOME too!

R.E.B.E.L.S....? Can you at least throw me a teency-weency bone on this one? I'm all for helping out a new series...but what's involved in this one?

Also the above for Fables..although that sounds..familiar for some reason...hmmmm.

its about vril dox (brainiac 2). he used to run an intergalactic police force for hire called L.E.G.I.O.N. until it is stolen from him by outside forces. it follows him on the run assembling a new team (R.E.B.E.L.S.) to combat them and reclaim his organization... brainiac 2 is super smart and a royal dick... lots of fun... supergirl is in the first 2 issues and doesnt blow at all either (though from what i understand shes finally been fixed)

Currently, I'm enjoying REBELS, Booster Gold, Green Lantern Corps, and Secret Six from DC's mainstream line. As far as the DC mainstays go, Green Lantern's your best bet. You may enjoy the Superman stuff right now if you liked the old movies from the '70s. I think most people would recommend picking up All-Star Superman if you just want a really good Superman story, though. It's out of continuity so it doesn't "count" for the ongoing Superman comics, but from what I hear, it's the best Superman's been in a while. The Batman comics are a big convoluted mess that I've largely been avoiding.

Vertigo is pure gold right now, with DMZ, Northlanders, Scalped, Fables, Jack of Fables, House of Mystery, and Madame Xanadu all kicking tons of ass. You'll want to pick those up from the beginning in trades, though. House of Mystery and Madame Xanadu are the newest of those series, but even they're sort of tough to just jump into. It's best to read Vertigo series from the beginning.

Wildstorm has some decent stuff too. I'm enjoying Wildcats and Mysterius the Unfathomable a lot now.

If you want me to elaborate on any of those titles I mentioned, let me know.

My favorite DC titles right now are Unknown Soldier, World of New Krypton and Green Lantern. I just started on House of Mystery, and I really dig it.

My favorite DC titles right now are Unknown Soldier, World of New Krypton and Green Lantern. I just started on House of Mystery, and I really dig it.
House Of Mystery is up and running? That used to be one of my favorites, back in the '70's and thereabouts. Is it in a similar format, or does it have an ongoing character-driven series? That may take the place of my horror pick...

..and as I figured, now I'm getting psyched up for what's going on in DC. :yay:

In regards to the comment on the Batman storyline...is it simply a badly constructed plot or is it another one of those pretzel-tie messes, where in order to follow the story one has to pick up each and every comic book that Bruce and co. are in? I was kind planning on just grabbing a couple of issues of Detective Comics and leaving it at that....(?)

Vertigo is pure gold right now, with DMZ, Northlanders, Scalped, Fables, Jack of Fables, House of Mystery, and Madame Xanadu all kicking tons of ass. You'll want to pick those up from the beginning in trades, though. House of Mystery and Madame Xanadu are the newest of those series, but even they're sort of tough to just jump into. It's best to read Vertigo series from the beginning.

Wildstorm has some decent stuff too. I'm enjoying Wildcats and Mysterius the Unfathomable a lot now.

If you want me to elaborate on any of those titles I mentioned, let me know.
Well, heck if you or anyone else on the boards here want to elaborate on a few of the Vertigo titles..I'd really dig that. I'd MUCH rather hear about if from an enthused reader who can pinpoint the faults of a series, from a comic fan's point of view, then just reading a wikipedia description. That ain't no fun! :huh:

..and once again, thanks for all the neat suggestions..once I make my picks..I'll probably post what I plan on getting...and what my local comic book shop(s) actually have.
Heh..y'know...THAT may be the final deciding factor come to think of it. I could just see myself getting all hyped up for one of the new series..and pfffft...having my local store be out of it. Just my luck!

Okay, I'll give you a rundown on each of the Vertigo titles I mentioned. I'll try to keep it brief:

DMZ: A series about New York City in a near-future scenario where the USA has plunged into a new civil war between the existing US government and the Free States. The titular DMZ stands for "de-militarized zone" and refers to Manhattan, which both sides wanted but couldn't manage to acquire and keep, so they both withdrew rather than spend more resources there. The series follows Matty Roth, a photographer who winds up getting stuck in the DMZ, which, in lieu of any governmental oversight, has become a bit of a wasteland with rival gangs controlling large sectors of the city and all manner of danger around every corner. Basically, the series' core theme is the power of the free press, since Matty, a photojournalist, winds up effecting greater change simply by reporting from the DMZ than either side could through military force, but there's a lot of other stuff going on in the series, too.

Northlanders: A series of short, unconnected stories about Vikings and Celts. The first story was about a Viking prince who'd run away and joined another country's army, who returns to defend his home when his father is murdered by his uncle. The second story is about the sacking of Lindisfarne around 800 BC, seen through the eyes of a young boy who hates his home and idolizes the Viking invaders. The third story, which just concluded, is about an Irish warrior who uses guerilla tactics to fight Viking conquerors while trying to protect his young daughter. Every single story so far has been fantastic.

Scalped: A gritty crime drama set on a Native American reserve. There are a lot of shocks and surprises in it, so I'm not gonna say anything more for fear of spoiling things. It's a really good series, though. Definitely worth checking out the first trade, at least.

Fables: A series that basically posits the question, "What if fairy tales were real and they lived among us?" An evil being called only the Emperor has driven a bunch of fairy tale characters out of their mystical homes and forced them to seek refuge on Earth, which is known as a "mundy" (short for mundane) world. They set up shop in New York in a building they call Fabletown and basically just try to blend in while figuring out how they can possibly reclaim their homes. Among the most notable characters are Bigby Wolf (the Big Bad Wolf), Snow White, Prince Charming, Little Boy Blue, Frau Totenkinder, Old King Cole, Rose Red (Snow's sister), Jack (basically every "Jack" who ever appeared in a fable), Beast, Beauty, and Cinderella. Almost none of them appear in roles that would seem obvious based on their stories, which is half the fun.

Jack of Fables: A spinoff of Fables featuring the aforementioned Jack, who gets kicked out of Fabletown for trying to profit from the fables' existence, which is supposed to remain secret. Basically, this is a more comedic take on the same concepts as Fables, centered mostly on Jack but expanding to include a supporting cast composed primarily of embodiments of literary tropes. Among them are the Pathetic Fallacy (who goes by Gary), Mr. Revise (the embodiment of bowdlerization), the Page sisters, the Wall siblings, and the Bookburner. It's not as deep or interesting as Fables, to be honest, but it is hilarious and quite fun to read, especially since it's often written with Jack narrating in extremely egotistical terms.

House of Mystery: You already seem to be familiar with the core concept. There is indeed a character-driven plot to this version, though. It centers on a girl named Fig, who has some unknown connection to the House, and the staff of the House's bar. I'm not quite sure where the series is going yet, since a lot of it is, appropriately, built on mysteries, but it's been very engaging so far. There's also a short story in each issue, usually told by one of the denizens of the bar as a means of paying their tab, and those are often very entertaining all by themselves.

Madame Xanadu: This series follows Nimue, an ancient, immortal fairy who survives Camelot's destruction and sort of drifts through time, her life inextricably tangled with many of the Phantom Stranger's enigmatic appearances to influence human history. It's a fun series because you get to see Nimue (who renames herself Madame Xanadu after serving in Kublai Khan's court) come down through the ages and get tangled up in all kinds of familiar historical settings. There was an arc where she was hunting Jack the Ripper in London in the 1800s while the Phantom Stranger kept obscuring her path for his own reasons, for example, and another where she witnessed the dawn of the French Revolution. The quality of the writing and art are really what make it worthwhile, though. Matt Wagner tells the stories really well and Amy Reeder Hadley's art is amazingly beautiful.

Last edited:
Wow...thanks for the tidbits on each title! I didn't expect a synopsis on EVERY one in that list..just a couple or three more would have been fine. Thank you much for all the great info you've given me! :up:

This is going to be tough to decide..Fables sounds intriguing, I'm still mulling over the House of Mystery, and ...and...ack...I can't quite make my decision yet......lol.

I can't imagine anybody not liking Y: The last man or Invincible.

Wow...thanks for the tidbits on each title! I didn't expect a synopsis on EVERY one in that list..just a couple or three more would have been fine. Thank you much for all the great info you've given me! :up:

This is going to be tough to decide..Fables sounds intriguing, I'm still mulling over the House of Mystery, and ...and...ack...I can't quite make my decision yet......lol.

A lot of people tend to read Vertigo series in trades. You could just buy trades of one series until you catch up to the current issues, then switch to another series whenever you can fit it into your budget, etc.

You could just buy trades of one series until you catch up to the current issues, then switch to another series whenever you can fit it into your budget, etc.

Yeah...that's kinda what I was thinking too....but, we'll see how things play out. The REAL tough decision will be deciding which one I want to follow on a continual basis, as I won't be able to drop down this kinda dough each and every month/week/whatever.

Well, the Vertigo stuff would be my absolute best of the best for DC/Wildstorm, so you've got pretty much all the input I can give on the subject. Any of those titles are well worth your time and money, so it's up to you to choose. :up:

Y-the Last man is the story of the last man on Earth. A mysterious virus wipes out every mammal with a y-chromosome on the planet, except an armature escape artist named Yornick Brown and his pet monkey Ampersand. The series followed Yornick, Ampersand, a government agent known as 355, and Doctor Allison Mann as they try to find a way to clone him, as well as help Yornick find his Girlfriend Beth. Along they way they're chased by crazed Amazon's hell bent on destroying the patriarchy once and for all, crazy Israeli chicks, and a ninja. Great story. It's already ended, so you should be able to find everything in trade. One of the best comics of all time.

Y-the Last man is the story of the last man on Earth. A mysterious virus wipes out every mammal with a y-chromosome on the planet, except an armature escape artist named Yornick Brown and his pet monkey Ampersand. The series followed Yornick, Ampersand, a government agent known as 355, and Doctor Allison Mann as they try to find a way to clone him, as well as help Yornick find his Girlfriend Beth. Along they way they're chased by crazed Amazon's hell bent on destroying the patriarchy once and for all, crazy Israeli chicks, and a ninja. Great story. It's already ended, so you should be able to find everything in trade. One of the best comics of all time.

*sigh* Yornick? Really?!

Yorick actually.

As in "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!" etc etc ....

I do too, that's why i've replaced Yorick with Yornick in my mind, cuz i'm awesome, and everybody else isn't. It's my burden.....my curse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"