Something new (advice please!)

I do too, that's why i've replaced Yorick with Yornick in my mind, cuz i'm awesome, and everybody else isn't. It's my burden.....my curse.

LOL...

Well...as it stands now here is what I'll probably be going after for my big back-to-the-comic-world binge:

*Green Lantern Corps/Green Lantern (I'll see who's artwork tickles my fancy more..)
*R.E.B.E.L.S. (maaaaabye Secret Six...but if REBELS is just starting out, I might be more inclined to hop on board)
*Fables
*House Of Mystery
*Y the Last Man
I'm still SHOCKED I didn't have even one Batman suggestion...but that's cool..I'm really hitting some fresh new stuff for DC and that's cool too! :up:
:bh:

secret six is inbetween arcs, check it out! and the art on GLC is amazing. as is REBELS!

Andy Clarke's art on REBELS may actually be my favorite art on a comic right now. There's something sort of dreamlike about it that I love.

Ok...I just returned from my comic heist..and I was a little bummed..no REBELS..at all, in the store. Also no Secret Six..(actually I forgot to look for back issues..damn..ALWAYS after I get back home..heh)

Anyway I picked up Green Lantern, a couple of House Of Mystery, a couple of Fables, and...and..

I REALLY wanted to get Y - the Last Man..but is each book that much $$? Each one was around $20.00..that was 3/4 of what I wanted to spend for my TOTAL amount..lol. So it looked really good, but I wanted a more overall general spread o' stuff this time out. But maybe after I get bills sent out in a couple of weeks.....hmmm.....
I also was impressed enough that I picked up Walking Dead...

My marvel picks will be over on the respective board....

That's not surprising, actually. REBELS and Secret Six aren't big sellers, so comic shops tend to order just enough for their regulars who they know buy them.
Yep...the store only carried the normal subscription amount, so once those few were gone...buh-bye. I will more than likely opt for a subscription box (which means three ongoing titles), and I may take a chance and ask for that to be one of 'em.

Amazon's got the first Y trade for about $10. But they've got deluxe hardcover volumes (which have 2 trades' worth of material in them) for $20. Amazon's usually better for trades either way, since they tend to have larger discounts than comic shops.

Good to know..thanks yet AGAIN for the tipoff!

woops...1/2 of my reply was in your quote there..but basically I may just take the gamble on REBELS and make that one of my subscription box choices..

secret six and REBELS are definately worth it...

Well after my little hiatus, I thought I would post my viewpoints on the stuff I picked up.
Green Lantern was the only superhero I went after from DC, and it was..good. Not great, and kinda confusing with one storyline ending and then building up for the Blackest Night arc. It was kind of a shame, as I was really looking forward to seeing what was going on with GL, and I just felt out-of-place in the issue I picked up, (*I tried to make just a single issue observation on all my picks, except for the brand new stuff that I don't have any idea about (Fables, Walking Dead, etc.). Since I am fairly aware of Green Lantern and the corps, although not up-to-date, I thought I'd try a single issue).
I also tried Fables...very good and unique! I was very impressed by the issues I picked up. I opted to start up a subscription box, and am close to moving this one into it. I couldn't get anything from REBELS, so I thought I would toss that one in my box, so I could see what was going on with that title. If I don't care for it, or whatever I'll replace it with either Walking Dead or Fables.
House of Mystery was the other DC I picked up. Not tooo bad, although I thought it would have been a little more creepier..more like how I remembered it back in the day. In fact, it was actually quite good, but since their was a slight stylistic difference then my recollection of it, I was left after reading the issues feeling a little bummed. (key word..little..it wasn't bad by any stretch! Just different...).
Anyway I didn't get too much DC-wise this trip, but at least I have an idea what's going on a LITTLE more. Maybe I'll pick up a Batman title here in a few months and see what's going on with Brucie...otherwise, thanks again for your suggestions!

GL probably would've benefitted from a full trade pick-up, to be honest. Doesn't matter that you knew about the GL Corps from back in the day; the current iteration is very, very different. Hal himself is very, very different. The whole mythos is being expanded in a way that you kind of need to get in on the ground floor to appreciate.

Shame about House of Mystery. I never read the old series, but I can understand if the tonal shift isn't to your liking. I've had series I jumped on one version of and loved, then tried another version and was not into at all. Different strokes, I guess.

Shame about House of Mystery. I never read the old series, but I can understand if the tonal shift isn't to your liking. I've had series I jumped on one version of and loved, then tried another version and was not into at all. Different strokes, I guess.

Yeah, that's pretty much the deal. I could see why HOM had a buzz about it, but it just didn't entertain me near as much as Fables did.

*btw I actually went back to pick up some other new titles, since I had a few more picks after I had made my original haul. lol...so much for the 'budget' thingie...
So I picked up a couple issues of Secret Six, but I won't be getting to those till sometime next week..too busy between now and then. Also the library angle that was mentioned in the other thread...oh yeah...didn't even think about THAT! *

Libraries rock, dude. If you haven't been in one in a while, you'll probably be surprised at the graphic novel section. Unfortunately, not many of them have single issues like the one I grew up near anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"