• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sony Pictures Entertainment Brings Marvel Studios Into The Amazing World Of Spider-Ma

People need to understand when it says "Sony has final say", basically it means the budgets and spending approval all has final say with Sony execs. Feige can't do whatever he wants, but he is pretty much running this thing. That's pretty clear.

So was there only one identical press announcement? Or were there two separate ones: one by Marvel and one by Sony?

The Marvel one seems to have been drafted by Sony though with the way it's worded "Sony Pictures Entertainment Brings Marvel Studios Into The Amazing World Of Spider-Man", as if Sony have allowed Marvel into their Spider-Man cinematic universe when it should be the other way round.

Why wouldn't it be worded more neutrally and why would Marvel allow such a skewed interpretation?

Thanks TalismanRing. I figured it was a long shot for an older Peter Parker, but I had my hopes. Teenage Spider-Man it is

So, is it possible that one of Marvel's characters might make a cameo in a Spider-Man film?

Did nobody even look at the point I made? If you start him out as a college kid, a few years after he's been hero-ing, you will have people wondering where the hell Spider-Man was when Ultron was in attack mode.

People wondered where the Avengers were when Tony was getting waylaid by the Mandarin in Iron Man 3. People wondered where the Avengers were when the dark elves showed up in Thor Dark World. People wondered why the Avengers didn't help Cap take down Hydra during Winter Soldier. The answer is always the same: the heroes were busy fighting their own battles. Unlike the X-Men or Fantastic Four, the cinematic version of the Avengers is not an on-call team. They are a loose alliance of heroes that come together when the cause is common, not when someone or even several of them are having a hard time.

Last edited:
Is it possible that Civil War takes place some years after AoU? I think that would allow all sorts of Supers to emerge, Spider-Man included, and present a need for the government to want them to register seeing that there's become just too many to keep track of.

While that may be true to a degree, there's a reason why we can't start out with him in college. He got his powers in high school, so starting him out in college would make everyone wonder, "If he's in college, then he's had powers for a while now... So where the **** has he been every time someone was attempting to rip the earth a new *******?!"

Starting him off as a high school student, a few months after getting bit, some time following the destruction left by Ultron, and the lack of his inclusion within MCU after completing the first two phases makes more sense to the casual fan.

But because this is the third time Peter Parker is being introduced in high school, some things need to be done differently to avoid the feeling of being repetitive. Those things include limiting the Uncle Ben origin telling to a MAXIMUM of ten minutes, take the romance down a notch (at least for about 3 movies), and no more Goblins for a while. Start off with Shocker or Whirlwind, and maybe the Kingpin if he's still around for season 2 of Daredevil.

That's what Marvel has previously stated they had planned, and I'm sure that's the approach they're going to take. It's a good approach, and I'm going to trust that it will work, and will be executed very well.

Simple, make him a complete Amateur, Kick-ass like, literally a kid with a home-made costume and an intelligently designed webshooters

SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT BRINGS MARVEL STUDIOS INTO THE AMAZING WORLD OF SPIDER-MAN
New Spider-Man Will Appear First in an Upcoming Marvel Film Within Marvel’s Cinematic Universe
Marvel’s Kevin Feige to Produce Next Installment of the Spider-Man Franchise with Amy Pascal
(Culver City, California, and Burbank, California February 09, 2015) – Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marvel Studios announced today that Sony is bringing Marvel into the amazing world of Spider-Man.
Under the deal, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel’s Cinematic Universe (MCU). Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.

iAa8S6V.png

LOL at Sony trying to pretend they're the main attraction. xD

So was there only one identical press announcement? Or were there two separate ones: one by Marvel and one by Sony?

The Marvel one seems to have been drafted by Sony though with the way it's worded "Sony Pictures Entertainment Brings Marvel Studios Into The Amazing World Of Spider-Man", as if Sony have allowed Marvel into their Spider-Man cinematic universe when it should be the other way round.

Why wouldn't it be worded more neutrally and why would Marvel allow such a skewed interpretation?

From all the internal emails leaked from Sony, it doesn't surprise me they are trying to spin things their way. Sony suffered a great deal of embarrassment over the last months and this is all about their pride as a Japanese company and appearing strong in the wake of numerous months of bad news. On top of the fallout from the Interview having Play Station network hacked on Christmas day, they've been dealing with tons of negative press.

Sony is acting like the victor here, but in reality they were a wounded dog seeking refuge, and Marvel threw them a bone.

What is shocking is that Sony is completely financing the solo, which is crazy considering it's the second reboot in a ten year span. I had assumed had Sony agreed to a deal as this, it would be with the intention of continuing with the Garfield saga with ASM3. Otherwise, it's way too risky, and I wouldn't invest 200 million in another Spidey film for another 5-10 years, especially after what happened with ASM2. Don't be surprised if the 2017 is anything but a solo film. Could be an Avengers lite, ala Civil War, featuring popular MCU TV show characters. What stories can they possibly give us that would be fresh, especially if we are dealing with Spidey in his formative years again?

Last edited:
It's financing a solo reboot, but with the Marvel Studios seal of approval and all that goes with that. The GA might be hacked off that its ANOTHER reboot, but as the boards show, fanboys are all over it. Which they wouldn't have been for ASM3

It's financing a solo reboot, but with the Marvel Studios seal of approval and all that goes with that. The GA might be hacked off that its ANOTHER reboot, but as the boards show, fanboys are all over it. Which they wouldn't have been for ASM3

The gripes for the fanboys are the continuity issues which can easily be worked around. If Marvel was producing ASM3, I don't think there would be a lot to worry about, especially since Webb and Arad would certainly be out of the picture as they are now. I think Marvel feels they have another potential trilogy with Spidey, which is why they want to start from scratch. Maybe they feel the character has another 4 billion in him. I don't see it that way. I am VERY curious to see what the solo movie will be about, and where Spidey will be in his career. We know he will be young, but how young? I personally thought a TV series was the way to go, and I believe that would've been the case if not for Sony wanting to produce more films. In all honesty, I feel this is another TIH all over again with diminishing returns. I would try to put a solo film off for as long as possible.

Unless Marvel is using the 2017 movie as a platform to launch other characters. But would Sony not veto something like that?

So it now looks like Marvel have effectively "leased" Spidey from Sony, and they'll carry on doing their own thing. This worry anyone else? Sinister Six always seemed like a rush job, and that would by extension, now be in the MCU... Might just be me worrying, but it feels like Spidey is being shoehorned in, then Sony are going to cause havoc with the MCU sandbox

Yep, one worried person here.

I thought the Spidey film would be the Marvel only film on top of the "appearance" version and then Sony would go after that.

Unless the films made by Sony have Spidey as a continual part of the MCU going forward, I don't see any point to all of this.

What is shocking is that Sony is completely financing the solo, which is crazy considering it's the second reboot in a ten year span. I had assumed had Sony agreed to a deal as this, it would be with the intention of continuing with the Garfield saga with ASM3. Otherwise, it's way too risky, and I wouldn't invest 200 million in another Spidey film for another 5-10 years, especially after what happened with ASM2. Don't be surprised if the 2017 is anything but a solo film. Could be an Avengers lite, ala Civil War, featuring popular MCU TV show characters. What stories can they possibly give us that would be fresh, especially if we are dealing with Spidey in his formative years again?

There's decades of comics to draw from. Just a story without romance at the forefront would be refreshing. That said, I would like to see just Parker's teen life explored a bit more. Stuff like going to parties, that hasn't really been fleshed out.

And there are plenty of villains to choose from. My personal choice would be Kraven the Hunter. Just back to basics, a crazy guy who hunts superheroes. If they wanted to tie it into Civil War he could be hired by SHIELD to take out unregistered supers.

Yep, one worried person here.

I thought the Spidey film would be the Marvel only film on top of the "appearance" version and then Sony would go after that.

Unless the films made by Sony have Spidey as a continual part of the MCU going forward, I don't see any point to all of this.

I think it's certain that Spidey will continue to be part of the MCU. Marvel wouldn't have done the deal otherwise. I doubt we'll ever see a Sinister Six film. Sony is just financing and distributing because that's the only place to get the resources. Marvel couldn't make a Spidey film by 2017 on their own. The creative control thing is assuredly just to make Sony feel better. Marvel is calling the shots.

I think it's certain that Spidey will continue to be part of the MCU. Marvel wouldn't have done the deal otherwise. I doubt we'll ever see a Sinister Six film. Sony is just financing and distributing because that's the only place to get the resources. Marvel couldn't make a Spidey film by 2017 on their own. The creative control thing is assuredly just to make Sony feel better. Marvel is calling the shots.

From what I understood both studios are sharing the rights to a number of their characters. Marvel can include Spiderman in the MCU but the other films Sony will be producing may not be tied in to the MCU at all. But Sony can use some MCU characters.

I feel like we will have 2 spidermen running around in a much more confusing version of the quicksilver fiasco.

http://otlnews.net/2015/02/11/mcu-spider-man-is-going-back-to-highschool/

Let's not exaggerate the idea that people will consider Spider-Man's absence thus far a plot hole. It's not like Iron Man 2 took place in Aunt May's house... only one film so far has even taken place in New York City (right?) Plus that city is massive, and all of the characters have their own **** to deal with. What makes it so likely that they had crossed paths with Spider-Man by this point?

It's never bothered me that other heroes aren't around during solo films. This is like running into your friend on a bus and wondering why his cousin isn't there too.

Anyway, my issue with starting Peter off as a high-schooler is that it's a one-trick pony. Even with a film release as often as every two years, Sony will only be able to have him be in high school for two films MAX before the actor simply looks too old to be there. Filming multiple films at once could be a way to get around that problem, but I don't see them taking that sort of risk when they've had to cancel and delay so many Spider-Man projects already.

The rumor now is that they are still pursuing Sinister Six, Venom and a female Spider-Man film (Black Cat, I hope.) Why even bother putting him in high school if the focus of their next few films is on other characters? How much time are they even going to be able to spend learning about Flash and Liz Allen when the movies are about people other than Peter?

Are Eddie Brock and all the members of the Sinister Six going to be his classmates?

From what I understood both studios are sharing the rights to a number of their characters. Marvel can include Spiderman in the MCU but the other films Sony will be producing may not be tied in to the MCU at all. But Sony can use some MCU characters.

I feel like we will have 2 spidermen running around in a much more confusing version of the quicksilver fiasco.

http://otlnews.net/2015/02/11/mcu-spider-man-is-going-back-to-highschool/

I sincerely doubt that. I don't think Marvel would have allowed Sony to keep the rights to Spidey and related characters if they thought that they could actually continue to make those films unaided. It would taint the MCU too much. Marvel certainly doesn't want 2 spiderman franchises running around - if that happens, it will cause too much confusion and the Sony films will drag down the Marvel ones by proxy. And Sony certainly doesn't have the budget to make Spiderman movies for both Marvel and themselves.

Basically, all these things like Sony having final creative control, and still technically being able to make a S6 movie - it's all just face saving on their part. In all but the most pedantic of senses Spiderman is back with Marvel, the rest is just little cherries thrown in there so Sony can maintain some shred of dignity in public.

From all the internal emails leaked from Sony, it doesn't surprise me they are trying to spin things their way. Sony suffered a great deal of embarrassment over the last months and this is all about their pride as a Japanese company and appearing strong in the wake of numerous months of bad news. On top of the fallout from the Interview having Play Station network hacked on Christmas day, they've been dealing with tons of negative press.

Sony is acting like the victor here, but in reality they were a wounded dog seeking refuge, and Marvel threw them a bone.

Marvel didn't have to allow the press release to worded so strongly in Sony's favour. It could have been more neutral. Either Marvel are so secure in themselves and their identity that they don't care what others think when they read the press release and how it could be construed, or perhaps it is actually skewed more in Sony's favour than we might realise. I hope it's the former situation.

There's decades of comics to draw from. Just a story without romance at the forefront would be refreshing. That said, I would like to see just Parker's teen life explored a bit more. Stuff like going to parties, that hasn't really been fleshed out.

And there are plenty of villains to choose from. My personal choice would be Kraven the Hunter. Just back to basics, a crazy guy who hunts superheroes. If they wanted to tie it into Civil War he could be hired by SHIELD to take out unregistered supers.

What you laid out registers a whole lot of "meh" for yet another Spidey solo prospect. I don't know many that would pay 15 bucks to see what you outlined. I'm certainly not one of them either. Just my two cents.

Now throw in Kraven, Punisher, Crossbones, and some other badass villains taking out superheroes, then you have something marginally good. But Civil War is too stuffed for all of that.

What you laid out registers a whole lot of "meh" for yet another Spidey solo prospect. I don't know many that would pay 15 bucks to see what you outlined. I'm certainly not one of them either. Just my two cents.

Now throw in Kraven, Punisher, Crossbones, and some other badass villains taking out superheroes, then you have something marginally good. But Civil War is too stuffed for all of that.

Superhero movies pretty much print money. Notice that Marvel became king of the mountain while only having their B list and C list characters. People will still pay to see a Spider-Man film. As awful as The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was, it still cleared $700 million.

My personal choice would be Kraven the Hunter. Just back to basics, a crazy guy who hunts superheroes. If they wanted to tie it into Civil War he could be hired by SHIELD to take out unregistered supers.
Someone clearly hasn't read Kraven's Last Hunt...done right, the character is definitely capable of entertaining audiences, and he would make for an awesome villain for Spidey to face off against. Introducing him as a bit-character during Civil War is also smooth as can be. Good idea, Protar.
Haven't you seen ASM2 and Spider-Man 3? Stuffing films with villains doesn't automatically make it better.

The sad thing is, Spider-Man is pretty easy to get right and they should have been able to make it to 10 movies without a reboot (though they'd certainly need to recast a few times, that does not require a reboot).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"