SONY quote of the day - "We dont need GTA"

Mentok

Avenger
Reaction score
From www.joystiq.com

Sony is so confident that their next-gen console is going to be such a smash hit, that the loss of exclusivity of their huge PS2 and PSP top-seller, Grand Theft Auto, will be no skin off their bones. In an interview with TheStreet.com, Jack Tretton, executive vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment America, was asked if the loss of GTA as an exclusive franchise would hurt the PS3. His response: "There's no question that having the Grand Theft Auto franchise helped us a lot and helped us sell some units, but I don't think the battle would be any different with or without Grand Theft Auto."

Completely dumbfounded by Tretton's response, TheStreet asked one more time, just to be sure. "No, I don't think it hurts us. No, I really don't," Tretton said. Whatever the execs at Sony are smokin', please let me know because I would love some of that. Exclusivity is pretty much the one thing that Sony really has going for it. To dismiss the true effectiveness of holding titles in your hands like Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy or God of War is just complete ignorance. I don't believe for one second, however, that Tretton or any Sony exec truly doesn't care about losing GTA. Whether they want to admit it or not, it hurts.

Riiiiiiiight SONY.... Keep saying it and it just might come true :o

I think hes right, they didnt LOSE GTA. Nothing has changed. GTA 3, V.C and S.A were ALL on the Xbox as well as PS2.

ProjectPat2280 said:
I think hes right, they didnt LOSE GTA. Nothing has changed. GTA 3, V.C and S.A were ALL on the Xbox as well as PS2.

E.X.C.L.U.S.I.V.E

1st step to recovery, is admitting you have a problem SONY.:rolleyes: :o

ProjectPat2280 said:

You know how many systems those exclusive franchises helped sell. I know several people who bought the PS2 because they had exclusivity on the GTA series.

Mentok said:
E.X.C.L.U.S.I.V.E

Whats your point?? NONE of the others were "e.x.c.l.u.s.i.v.e". They all appeard on another system, hence, NOT exclusive. Unless exclusive means we get it first.

ProjectPat2280 said:
Whats your point?? NONE of the others were "e.x.c.l.u.s.i.v.e". They all appeard on another system, hence, NOT exclusive. Unless exclusive means we get it first.

Yes, they were exclusive. Thats why it took so long for them to reach the Xbox.

GTA3 and VC were exclusives (ported over to xbox once the contract with SONY lapsed)

GTA-SA was a timed exclusive.

Alll exclusive deal were to sell systems for SONY... A hell of alot of systems too.

GTA4 is out on both consoles from day one (with the X360 version having extra online features/material)

Mentok said:
Yes, they were exclusive. Thats why it took so long for them to reach the Xbox.

GTA3 and VC were exclusives (ported over to xbox once the contract with SONY lapsed)

GTA-SA was a timed exclusive.

Alll exclusive deal were to sell systems for SONY... A hell of alot of systems too.

GTA4 is out on both consoles from day one (with the X360 version having extra online features/material)

Well, i guess my definition"exclusive" was off from the actual definition. I still dont think this is going to hurt sony as much as you ppl want. That system will sell regardless.

ProjectPat2280 said:
Well, i guess my definition"exclusive" was off from the actual definition. I still dont think this is going to hurt sony as much as you ppl want. That system will sell regardless.

Two or three fanboys who post here are the only ones that want them to fail.

Yeah, it will sell. Its not going to sell nearly as well as some want it too though. They are selling it on the technology which is wrong. Its a video game console... You need to sell it on the games, something SONY seem to have no interest in doing for some weird reason.

Mentok said:
Two or three fanboys who post here are the only ones that want them to fail.

Yeah, it will sell. Its not going to sell nearly as well as some want it too though. They are selling it on the technology which is wrong. Its a video game console... You need to sell it on the games, something SONY seem to have no interest in doing for some weird reason.

Well, i dont plan on buying the system anyway. I dont care what it does. I just wouldnt underestimate the power of those Sony fans.

nataliewhat29dh.jpg

Not having Grand Theft Auto as an exclusive anymore won't hurt Sony, but it sure as well won't help them like it did for the Playstation 2.

as much as i want the PS3 to succeed.....Sony keeps shooting themselves in the feet by saying **** like this. their arrogance pisses me off.

I can't figure out what Sony is thinking with the PS3, it seems like they're going against everything that made their first two systems a success. Sony has had the least impressive hardware the past two generations, but has won because the got out of the block early and had big time exclusive titles. Sony saying not having GTA as an exclusive isn't going to hurt us is like Nintendo deciding to port Zelda to the 360 and PS3 and feeling like it won't hurt them.

So does this mean that GTA really is exclusive to the 360? Or is Sony just saying that not having it exclusive to their system is not a problem?

LOL as hillarious fallacies go , this is up there with ' But there ARE wmds in Iraq' :up:

Trigger said:
So does this mean that GTA really is exclusive to the 360? Or is Sony just saying that not having it exclusive to their system is not a problem?

GTA games will be on 360 and PS3 now.

^

Which they already are, only with a considerable time difference between releases.

In all honest, I don't think the lack of exclusivity will hurt Sony that much. How many people are that big a fan of GTA that they'd by a brand new console, many, many more times more expensive than the game itself, when they could wait seven or eight months and play it on the vastly cheaper 360?

I think it's definately a blow, however. If people are such big fans of GTA that they'll buy a console for it, they'll surely plump for the 360 given how much cheaper it will be.

People seem to forget the frenzy that GTA3, GTA: VC and GTA: SA fueled.

GTA3 sold millions of PS2s. I don't care what anyone says, all my friends with PS2s say they "bought it for GTA."

WhatsHisFace said:
People seem to forget the frenzy that GTA3, GTA: VC and GTA: SA fueled.

GTA3 sold millions of PS2s. I don't care what anyone says, all my friends with PS2s say they "bought it for GTA."

EXACTLY......QUALITY EXCLUSIVES SELL CONSOLES.......PERIOD. 'KH2' IS LARGELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE #S 'SONY'/PS2 PUT UP, OVER THE '360' RECENTLY. THEY WEREN'T BUYING A 6 Y.O. CONSOLE FOR THE FAR-INFERIOR VERSION OF 'MADDEN 2006'. :down:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"