Space and Astronomy Megathread (MERGED) - Part 1

If you're up before dawn and have clear skies (unobstructed view and no light pollution) you can check out a rare alignment of the planets — with a crescent Moon as a bonus!

289708069_10160136007353808_2541848982037405526_n.jpg

Note that Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are the so-called "naked eye" planets. To see Uranus and Neptune, you need a telescope or a really good pair of binoculars.

PR_June24_with_ecliptic_rev1_1920px_low.jpg

From Nasa.gov...

The image shows the galaxy cluster SMACS 0723 as it appeared 4.6 billion years ago. The combined mass of this galaxy cluster acts as a gravitational lens, magnifying much more distant galaxies behind it. Webb’s NIRCam has brought those distant galaxies into sharp focus – they have tiny, faint structures that have never been seen before, including star clusters and diffuse features. Researchers will soon begin to learn more about the galaxies’ masses, ages, histories, and compositions, as Webb seeks the earliest galaxies in the universe.

Close-up view of one of those galaxies — "distorted" due to gravitational lensing:

It is so insane how big the universe is and how far we can look by now.

I can only imagine how incredible these new pictures must be for people who have vast interest and knowledge in this...if i as a really basic dude am stunned.

And it makes me again baffled that some think we are the only lifeform in existence.
The amount of galaxies, planets, stars...the chances are impossible to be so tiny that only we were able to be formed.

It is so insane how big the universe is and how far we can look by now.

I can only imagine how incredible these new pictures must be for people who have vast interest and knowledge in this...if i as a really basic dude am stunned.

And it makes me again baffled that some think we are the only lifeform in existence.
The amount of galaxies, planets, stars...the chances are impossible to be so tiny that only we were able to be formed.

I'm less than basic and I've just sat there in awe looking at this image for about 20 minutes straight. I'm struggling to get my head around it, it's just so far beyond me. Beautiful and terrifying.I have nothing but respect for the minds who put this stuff together. To not only grasp this stuff but expand on it..... wow.

Space is beautiful and terrifying.
And to think, it’s only 6000 years old! I wish they’d point it towards earth so that we can see that it’s flat. I just wonder if a giant space turtle is holding it up or if maybe it has giant birthday balloons under it.

$1B Giant Magellan Telescope to Have 4x the Resolution of James Webb

"The Giant Magellan Telescope, the most powerful telescope ever engineered, has secured a new $205M funding infusion that will be used to accelerate its construction. When finished, it will be four times more powerful than the James Webb Space Telescope."

It will be ground based, and its massive.

It will use 7 of the world's largest mirrors. Each weighing 18 metric tons.

The fully constructed telescope will be housed in a 40,000 square foot building. Notice the forklift and person in the bottom left corner of this concept image:

GMT-Cross-Section-800x678.jpg

JWST-GMT-Side-by-Side-Comparison.jpg

Should be receiving images by the end of the decade.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"