Spawn Reboot | Blumhouse

This damn thing ain't happening Todd. Just let it go or let someone else helm the thing so it'll get out eventually. Oh, what am I kidding, the development for this reboot-remake-whatever-we're calling it is hell right now.

Jamie Foxx isn’t getting younger, make big strides or cancel the project!

He never said it'd be good news.

ni5MOp.gif
"It's cancelled!"

LOL. Here’s an idea, Todd. Just make an announcement when you’re actually ready. You don’t need to do a teaser every time you’re going to say something about your movie. Because if there’s a delay, you end up embarrassing yourself.

Though that’s kind of your thing, isn’t it?

McFarlane had been eying the director’s chair, and wrote a previous draft of the script. But the comic book writer and artist acknowledges he may not be the right person to direct, particularly now that some of the highest profile writers in the comic book movie space are involved.

“If we’ve got an A-list actor, A-list producers, A-list writers, then do you want to shoot for A-list directors, A-list cinematographers?” McFarlane tells The Hollywood Reporter. “The answer is, ‘of course.’ Let’s keep the momentum going.”

Spellman notes that Spawn holds a special place for him.

“I grew up in Berkeley, which is a comic book city. Todd McFarlane’s SPAWN character was always one of my favorites — a Black superhero that was no bull****, he was cool and dealt with modern issues,” says Spellman in a statement. “Myself, Matt Mixon, and Scott Silver are pledged to honoring what Todd started and what SPAWN is at its core, delivering something that’s relevant and edgy and unlike any other superhero movie out there.”

At least, Todd acknowledged he probably shouldn’t direct. Maybe if they get someone who knows what they’re doing, but that’s a big if, this could get off the ground. We’ve been here before, though!

No idea why they had to delay the news to today.

Last edited:
Yeah, weird about the delay but this is the first bit of news about this movie in a long time that has given me some actual hope. I know some fans might have issues with these writers but I liked both Joker and Falcon & Winter Soldier, so this feels like a positive development. And even more positive is Todd admitting that someone with actual directorial experience should be at the helm. A lot will hinge on who that ends up being of course, but at least Todd isn’t so immersed in hubris that he still thinks he’s the only person for the job.

It took him five years to realise that a person who is a comic book writer/artist might not be the best person to entirely helm a feature film on his own, by writing, directing and producing it with no prior experience in any of it*. Ok...

I read a Jason Blumm interview recently where he mentioned that they'll try to move it forward soon. So I'm guessing that was probably him telling McFarlane that it wasn't working with his script and Todd finally agreeing to let someone else take over. I have a feeling now that other people took over it will move quicker.

*Has he not seen this?
MV5BNDcyMTc1NzgwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUyMDUwMg@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

It took him five years to realise that a person who is a comic book writer/artist might not be the best person to entirely helm a feature film on his own, by writing, directing and producing it with no prior experience in any of it*. Ok...

I read a Jason Blumm interview recently where he mentioned that they'll try to move it forward soon. So I'm guessing that was probably him telling McFarlane that it wasn't working with his script and Todd finally agreeing to let someone else take over. I have a feeling now that other people took over it will move quicker.

*Has he not seen this?
MV5BNDcyMTc1NzgwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzUyMDUwMg@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

To be fair, he may not have seen that movie, because almost no one did, lol.

I still can’t believe I was dumb enough to try and watch it. My partner at the time dozed off after the first 5-10 minutes. She was the smart one. :funny:

To be fair, he may not have seen that movie, because almost no one did, lol.

I still can’t believe I was dumb enough to try and watch it. My partner at the time dozed off after the first 5-10 minutes. She was the smart one. :funny:
That's definitely the right approach!
I remember being excited for this because of how much I loved Sin City.
thorin-never-been-so-wrong.gif

That's definitely the right approach!
I remember being excited for this because of how much I loved Sin City.
thorin-never-been-so-wrong.gif

Haha yeah I think that was why I gave it a shot too. Speaking of Sin City… I tried watching the sequel to that when it came out and it was almost as bad as The Spirit.

Haha yeah I think that was why I gave it a shot too. Speaking of Sin City… I tried watching the sequel to that when it came out and it was almost as bad as The Spirit.
Yeah I saw the Sin City sequel in theaters because I loved the first film and I ended up dozing on and off throughout the film that I really couldn’t tell anyone what the plot of the movie is. A disappointment that I can’t even bring myself to watch it on cable.

I’m glad that this movie is hopefully moving in the right direction because there’s a lot of potential with this comic that is screaming for a great film. Now if only we can get a Darkness adaption going.

Yeah, I think there is a ton of potential in a lot of the old Image and post-Image superheroes. Jim Lee’s WildCATs could be really cool, as well as The Authority/Stormwatch. I probably would prefer to see those as TV shows rather than movies but either way, there is a lot of potential there.

No Liefeld stuff though! Haha. I think I heard something about Gyllenhaal starring in a John Prophet movie for some reason, lol.

Yeah, I think there is a ton of potential in a lot of the old Image and post-Image superheroes. Jim Lee’s WildCATs could be really cool, as well as The Authority/Stormwatch. I probably would prefer to see those as TV shows rather than movies but either way, there is a lot of potential there.

No Liefeld stuff though! Haha. I think I heard something about Gyllenhaal starring in a John Prophet movie for some reason, lol.
I would actually like them to base the Prophet film after the comic from the last decade which was like this psychedelic space opera. WildCATs would be cool. I loved the animated series from the 90’s

I would actually like them to base the Prophet film after the comic from the last decade which was like this psychedelic space opera. WildCATs would be cool. I loved the animated series from the 90’s

Cool; I never read any of the newer stuff with Prophet. I only read the earlier stuff from the 90s. He was definitely one of Liefeld’s better Image creations (that’s not saying much, but ya know) but I was really surprised that they were planning a movie about him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"