• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Spawn The Animated Series - HBO

ReptileOrion

Civilian
Reaction score
I was wondering if any fans of the HBO Series Spawn was on the boards. I loved this show when it first premiered on HBO years ago. I was happy to see some a truly adult themed animated series. I was familiar with the Spawn comic but I wasn't a regular reader. I know the story in the series may strayed slightly from the comic but I thought it was enjoyable. I hate the series only lasted three seasons. It had great action, voice acting, and music. It truly capture the essence of Spawn more than the crappy movie. Let's talk about the series....any thoughts?

I liked the series alot. i never read the comics but when i first saw it advertised on HBO i was very curious & skeptical on what this show was about. when ever i was started watching it , i was blown away. first i was shocked by all the profanity , gore & nudity. but what really got me was the unique story telling & the dialgue in the show.

the best moments for me was the interaction between spawn & coliostro. the guy who voice coliostro was the narator for the whole series. this was one of the best thought out well written dialog ive heard in a show. every sentence the guy who voiced coliostro spoke, was a piece of antient liturature,

that caltiplated me from start to finish. i think this is what truly made spawn shine. was the well written thaught out deep dialog, that had meaning to it. i can't wait till this new spawn animation dvd is coming out. from the looks of the trailer. it seems to me that its going to blow out the first thee season's out the water.

oh & i forgot to mention that keith david, the guy who voiced spawn was spectacular. nobody i mean nobody could bring spawn to life like keith david.
did.

Got all 3 seasons on DVD.

I thought it was decent and had good animation, but as with the comics, Spawn just wasn't interesting enough to keep me watching.

I loved this show and I was pissed that it stopped being made

I checked out Vol. 1 & 3 on DVD. I liked what I saw. Never got a hold of Vol. 2. It was like a thousand times better than the movie.

Spawn the comics and Spawn: The Animated Series is what should've been made into an actual movie.

No, the trash of a movie we received doesn't count. They missed the entire concept of the emotion that is Al Simmons/Spawn. I sincerely hope it gets remade in the vein of Batman Begins.

The story is powerful, emotional, dark, and very complex. I'd say have the first movie begin with him being killed, him coming to terms with being Spawn and being caught between Heaven and Hell, then introduce the Violator the sequel, and maybe for the third movie have him becoming the literal Master of Hell.

In the comics he actually kills Malebolgia in order to sit on the throne in Hell.

This was a fantastic series and I own all three vol. on DVD.

I heard a while back that they were making a new straight to dvd version of Spawn. Has anyone here heard anything recent about that?

Wyrminarrd said:

I heard a while back that they were making a new straight to dvd version of Spawn. Has anyone here heard anything recent about that?

Yes ive herd of it. todd mcfarlene said it should be out in october. & from the trailer i saw. to me its going to be alot more graphic than the first 3 season's.

Wyrminarrd said:

On the Spawn website you can see some production art, character designs, things of that nature. The production looks like it's going to be a lot more stylized this time around.

There's also a little blurb towards the bottom of this interview about the show.

http://www.comics2film.com/FanFrame.php?f_id=20949

I went to a comic book convention where Todd McFarlane presented the premiere episode, it was okay but the storyline dragged on too much.

i just read at toonzone that the new spawn animation dvd that was suposed to come out in october, is put on hold for awhile. todd mcfarlene sateted that he is having trouble finding a studio to work on the project. he said he needs to find the right people & not just anybody.

witch to me is understandable. IMOP i rather have the right kind of people working on my project that really respect my art work, then the wrong people who are willing to work on it, for just the money & not the value of the creation.

the wait will be longer but in the end i think it will be worth it.

Rowen said:
i just read at toonzone that the new spawn animation dvd that was suposed to come out in october, is put on hold for awhile. todd mcfarlene sateted that he is having trouble finding a studio to work on the project. he said he needs to find the right people & not just anybody.

witch to me is understandable. IMOP i rather have the right kind of people working on my project that really respect my art work, then the wrong people who are willing to work on it, for just the money & not the value of the creation.

the wait will be longer but in the end i think it will be worth it.

There hasn't been any updates on the Spawn website since last December. Obviously finding the right production house for the project is the right thing to do, but it's been half a year now since there's been any movement. I think what might be the case in this instance is that the animation houses capable of producing the kind of animation they want have been turning down the project.

I hope the new series finds a home. I read Lazlo's post about the storlyine dragging on a bit. I do agree with him in a way. I remember watching the individual episodes and some of them did drag. I find the best way to watch the series is by watching a season in its entirety like a movie. The series flows together much better that way.

I loved this show so ****ing much. Still pissed how it ended.

Hope the new show is good. Whenever it shows up

zer00 said:
I loved this show so ****ing much. Still pissed how it ended.

Hope the new show is good. Whenever it shows up

How did it end again?

WallCrawl said:
There hasn't been any updates on the Spawn website since last December. Obviously finding the right production house for the project is the right thing to do, but it's been half a year now since there's been any movement. I think what might be the case in this instance is that the animation houses capable of producing the kind of animation they want have been turning down the project.

yeah i also figured that one out to. it seems rough for todd to find a studio who is willing to work with a superhero adult animated series. but im sure he find someone someday.

Rowen said:
yeah i also figured that one out to. it seems rough for todd to find a studio who is willing to work with a superhero adult animated series.

It probably also has to do with the fact that Spawn is no longer a hot property.

WallCrawl said:
It probably also has to do with the fact that Spawn is no longer a hot property.

Sad but true, though the comic is slowly but surely picking itself up out of the abyss with the latest storyline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"