The Amazing Spider-Man Spider-Man 4 Score: Danny Elfman or Christopher Young?

No they didn't. Elfman walked off the picture and Young re-scored the scenes, Raimi, wasn't happy with. I wouldn't call that a collaboration.
I'd call that a butchering :cmad: .

Still waiting for a cut of Spider-Man 2 with all of Elfman's missing cues restored . . .

I fully expect Young to take the reins of SM-4 and not worry about his new themes for MJ, Aunt May or anyone else being removed and have those scenes temped in with cues from Elfman's scores for the first two films.

Raimi has total creative control, whether that extends to whether Sony music execs can butcher Young's score or not is up in the air.

I'd be shocked if Raimi goes for someone else entirely.

I fully expect Young to take the reins of SM-4 and not worry about his new themes for MJ, Aunt May or anyone else being removed and have those scenes temped in with cues from Elfman's scores for the first two films.

Raimi has total creative control, whether that extends to whether Sony music execs can butcher Young's score or not is up in the air.

I'd be shocked if Raimi goes for someone else entirely.

i agree, i think he is gonna stay with Young but he should really try and bring back Elfman along as well

It's a snowball's chance in hell that Elfman and Raimi will kiss and make up, but if it does happen then I'm all for an Elfman-scored SM-4.

either mr elfman or mr young

Give Elfman complete control over the music. Raimi should write him a letter or give him a call, and tell him that he now understands what it's like to lose creative control over something you put so much time into. A proper collaboration between Raimi and Elfman is important, but not as important as allowing Elfman to stamp the score in his own unique way. Let's be honest the guy isn't going to throw away the themes or anything so what's the problem? Young's score was a big step down.

I liked Young's score, as single music tracks but I felt it was far too overpowering. Especially the Sandman and Symbiote scene. It felt like every scene had it's own soundtrack, rather than them all forming one big soundtrack.

I agree with Secret Riddle. I think Raimii should do that. Both have experienced the lost of creative control. Raimi in Spider-Man 3, and Elfman in Spider-Man 2.

I liked Young's score, as single music tracks but I felt it was far too overpowering. Especially the Sandman and Symbiote scene. It felt like every scene had it's own soundtrack, rather than them all forming one big soundtrack.

There was an interview with Young shortly after S-M 3 came out, and he admitted that he came up with lots of new themes -- the black Spidey suit, Sandman, the symbiote/Venom, Aunt May, Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy. (And the tampering of Sony music execs just as post-production was wrapping up, Elfman's music was temped in as well as Debney and Lurie adapting Elfman's themes in the tone of Young's score.)

I did love Young's prominent theme usage of Sandman and Venom -- Elfman's villain themes in the Spidey movies were a bit too subtle and understated while Young's music had the right punch to it.

We can't blame Sam ENTIRELY. I mean, he is the director of the movie, he knows what he wants for music. Elfman wasn't really listening to or considering Raimi's requests. I think his reaction while quitting was a bit childish. But I guess I can see how that can make a composer feel, being told that "it's not good enough and I need this". But I think the director knows what he wants, and the composer should try collaborating with him to get it right.

How is it Elfman's problem?

Raimi hired him, not Young. What Raimi was telling him was that he wanted Christopher Young's music, hence saying Elfman's music wasn't good enough. Listening to the complete score, Elfman did a really good job and Raimi was wrong. Young showed what he could do, and unfortunately he will likely be back for 4.

Elfman did have a problem with Burton with The Nightmare Before Christmas, but that was due more to the soundtrack and what was presented rather than material or ego issues. They took a break for ED WOOD, but Elfman has been his composer ever since.

I'll give Young some credit, in that his Venom theme is pretty much what I would expect a Venom theme to sound like: demonic and unsettling.

all i know is that if i dont see spider-man 4's score album a month after its out im callin sony/intrada/young's or whoevers the composer's publishers and asking where it is! as opposed to a year later

hmmm, how do we know he is confirmed?

I think Raimi should kiss Elfman's butt and get him back on board, let him compose what he wants to compose. I would be happy if Young and Elfman would collab again, I thought the music was beautifully mixed in SM2. I just picture with Young's love for evilistic brassy music could work for the Lizard, if we get him.

lol

Elfman has a great talent for the movies he put on, it would also be great if he could come back however Christoper's themes for sandman was about the best thing in S3 disregarding how bad that movie was.

After Terminator Salvation, I'm leaning towards Christopher Young more. Elfman disappointed me there, and in Hellboy II as well. Plus, if Young is the more Directable of the two, then Sam should definitely keep working with him. (Young scores Drag Me to Hell)

After Terminator Salvation, I'm leaning towards Christopher Young more. Elfman disappointed me there, and in Hellboy II as well. Plus, if Young is the more Directable of the two, then Sam should definitely keep working with him. (Young scores Drag Me to Hell)

The thing is, Elfman was brought onto two franchises with a established main theme. Brad Fiedel had established the sound for Terminator way before Elfman even hit it big with Batman, and I don't know what Guillermo del Toro was smoking when he passed up Marco Beltrami in favor of Elfman for Hellboy II (Hellboy is one of Beltrami's finest scores).

Elfman does better doing sequels to movies he's already scored, because he knows the overall sound of his themes better. A lot of people prefer Elfman's Batman Returns to Batman, but I think Elfman hit it out of the park with Spider-Man 2 (despite the post-production grief Raimi gave him with the temping issue).

Young's score for Spider-Man 3 is a lot of fun though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"