World Spider-Man: The Animated Series

How much time passed between X-Men '97 being announced and the show actually airing? Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man still hasn't even come out. If they announced a Spider-man '98 show anytime soon, it would probably be about two years before the show starts airing. And I'd be surprised if Marvel would even be up to having two animated Spider-man shows airing at the same time.

If they were to do a Spider-man '98 show, they'd have to recast several characters as their voice actors from the original have passed away(Doc Ock, Kingpin, Aunt May, JJJ, Curt Connors). And if they get voice actors that are still alive to reprise their roles, it's pretty likely some of their voices won't sound the same as they did in the original series as it's now going on 30 years since it premiered. Rogue in X-men '97 is a pretty good example of this.

How much time passed between X-Men '97 being announced and the show actually airing? Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man still hasn't even come out. If they announced a Spider-man '98 show anytime soon, it would probably be about two years before the show starts airing. And I'd be surprised if Marvel would even be up to having two animated Spider-man shows airing at the same time.
About 2 1/2 years and FNSM is due out later this year. Like I mentioned in other topics, despite them previously announcing a 2nd season, most of the crew got laid off after finishing work on the first season back in 2022. So chances are high the show ends up being a one and done.

Part of the thing that appeals more to me about a hypothetical Spider-Man '98 is that it'd be a show where all of the usual major stuff has been done and it has no choice but to cover stuff we don't traditionally see thanks to it being in an established lived-in world. Sort of how like X-Men '97 just jumps headfirst into crazy stuff that nobody's adapted yet: some from the '80s, some literally from 1997, some post 2000, and just has full confidence in itself and the audience to be on board with it all, even seeing more people hyped and interested in the source material.

Imagine a show that finally gets to adapt things like Kraven's Last Hunt, or Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut (Madame Web and X-Men connections already there). They could take stuff from some post 2000 runs like MJ leaving to do soul-searching (perfect since here he didn't really marry her and it'd surely be weird for her after returning) and their eventual reunion like the JMS run. They could pull some great stuff from the Jenkins runs or JMS runs like Fusion or Morlun, heck some of those early mystical JMS stories could jive pretty well with TAS's cosmic weirdness / science frequencies (no Spider-Verse connections later from the 2010s ideally, the show already basically did it and did it better than the comics later).

This show's yet another teenage Spidey origin story, year-one versions of all his villains and a supporting cast that mostly isn't even Spidey supporting characters. The one thing I can say that could be interesting is them taking the Identity Crisis costumes, but even still they seem to be using those as just an artificial origin extender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"