World Spider-Man's Animated Universe

It's interesting that the people who dislike Ultimate have genuwine reasons for doing so. Whereas a lot of the shows defenders just say "Shut up! It's not for you! It's for kids!"

So was "Spectacular Spider-Man." One of the shows took Shakespeare and made it into a plot point, the other likes to reference chibis.

So was "Spectacular Spider-Man." One of the shows took Shakespeare and made it into a plot point, the other likes to reference chibis.

Yeah, but Spectacular was a show both kids and adults can enjoy. While Ultimate is strictly geared towards kids.(that was actually stated by people behind the show)

And speaking of Spectacular it's the opposite there. Fans of the show back up their reasons and judge the show by the writing, plots, characters etc. Whereas majority of the people who bash the show never actually watched it and judge the show mostly by the art style(which they keep mixing up with animation). That shows what kind of critics they are.

I actually like Spectacular's art style, it's easy to animate and it's not ugly, while at first it seemed strange it grew in me, there were even things they changed from the comics that i liked, like Brock being Peter's friend and Liz being hispanic instead of blonde again.

They made the characters likeable, they made the villains cool, they respected the source material and updated it, they took the best from each version of the character, from the movies, from the ultimate comics, from the 60s comics, etc. and made a great show. They knew their audience but they still made a smart story.

The creators of Powerpuff Girls and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic also said they made the show for little girls, however these shows still atract a lot of fans that are boys, adults, etc. This is because they don't think a kids show doesn't need a proper story or to be dumb. Greg Weisman, the creator of Spectacular Spider-Man also created Gargoyles, W.I.T.C.H. and Young Justice, while i heard of these many times i never really watched them exept for young justice, which i tried to get into, are they good?

I actually like Spectacular's art style, it's easy to animate and it's not ugly, while at first it seemed strange it grew in me, there were even things they changed from the comics that i liked, like Brock being Peter's friend and Liz being hispanic instead of blonde again.
Brock taking inspiration from the Ultimate Spider-Man version of him is one thing to thank Bendis for

They made the characters likeable, they made the villains cool, they respected the source material and updated it, they took the best from each version of the character, from the movies, from the ultimate comics, from the 60s comics, etc. and made a great show. They knew their audience but they still made a smart story
Only character I feel was lost is Kenny, he needs more

They made the characters likeable, they made the villains cool, they respected the source material and updated it, they took the best from each version of the character, from the movies, from the ultimate comics, from the 60s comics, etc. and made a great show. They knew their audience but they still made a smart story.

The creators of Powerpuff Girls and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic also said they made the show for little girls, however these shows still atract a lot of fans that are boys, adults, etc. This is because they don't think a kids show doesn't need a proper story or to be dumb. Greg Weisman, the creator of Spectacular Spider-Man also created Gargoyles, W.I.T.C.H. and Young Justice, while i heard of these many times i never really watched them exept for young justice, which i tried to get into, are they good?

actually, though I like the show, I found five of the characters to be people that I wouldn't want to be associated with and therefore unlikeable...

Sally Avril... a screechy and thoroughly detestable character with an attitude towards most people except for her own immediate clique...

Liz Allan... a really petty character, not as bad as Sally but when it comes down to it, a part of that clique... I found her to be a user and a clingy hanger-on and self-centered when it comes right down to it...

Flash Thompson... a ill-mannered jock jerk so hyped on his own football bulls**t and an attention ****e thinking he can pretty much get whatever he wants or whatever GIRL he wants...

Kenny... a doofus kissing Flash's ass and following his lead and living in his shadow as a second-rate copy of Flash...

Rand... just cruising thru High School being laid back and serving no real purpose to anyone around him except to be a yes-man and useless when it came down to it... he just didn't really seem to care about anyone or anything...

Harry Osborn... a pretty insecure, whiny and weak-willed person, trying to live up to his father's expectations but going about it all wrong and doing all the wrong things... but with Norman as his father and his mother as a silent and subservient non-entity, what do you expect?...

the only strong members of Peter's High School crowd beyond the above five were, Gwen, MJ and Glory...

It's still good writing that you can make unlikeable characters with strong & identifiable personality traits, and a couple of them do show some more depth. For instance, Liz is a bit mysterious in that it's hard to tell if her like for Peter is genuine or strictly some form of trying to prove herself to a guy that isn't impressed by her being in the clique. Flash shows there's more to him than being a dumb jock when he rejects winning the football championship because of Harry's drug use, and calls Peter out for his loafish behaviour.

These are still immature teenagers and they're written as such.

*sigh* I miss that show :(

It's still good writing that you can make unlikeable characters with strong & identifiable personality traits, and a couple of them do show some more depth. For instance, Liz is a bit mysterious in that it's hard to tell if her like for Peter is genuine or strictly some form of trying to prove herself to a guy that isn't impressed by her being in the clique. Flash shows there's more to him than being a dumb jock when he rejects winning the football championship because of Harry's drug use, and calls Peter out for his loafish behaviour.

These are still immature teenagers and they're written as such.

*sigh* I miss that show :(

point taken with Flash's un-Flash-like behavior as the series progressed...

that WAS pretty honorable on Flash's part by informing high school officials of Harry's juice use resulting in the team and the school forfeiting the entire winning season...

that DID speak volumes of his deeper character...

as for Liz, when she reverted back to her clique mentality in front of everyone when Peter blew her off, you DO see her a short time later break down over it...

she may have been a user at first, but maybe there really was feelings there for Peter, but she WAS too clingy and jealous and deliberate in her attempts to make Gwen feel bad and to try and distract Peter from Gwen...

I just believe she was a very petty person...

Greg Weisman Talks Gwen Stacy & Betty Brant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bclRJHDpHRU

Greg Weisman Talks Liz Allan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrNh8b9QQc8

Greg Weisman Talks Mary Jane Watson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks2l19CZHy0

Greg Weisman Talks Black Cat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKaDuzPU0R0

Greg Weisman Talks Venom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_spFUgcW5GI

And finally, since I mentioned it earlier, Shakespearean Allusions in Weisman's work. Gargoyles and Spectacular Spider-Man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y7Xa6W6z14

I

Gargoyles. Pretty damn good show. One of the best of the 90s. And a Disney show as well. Way before they decided thinking all cartoons should be execlusively for kids.

Anyone could make a cartoon just for kids. But it takes talent to make an animated movie or series that both kids and adults could enjoy.

This is because they don't think a kids show doesn't need a proper story or to be dumb. Greg Weisman, the creator of Spectacular Spider-Man also created Gargoyles, W.I.T.C.H. and Young Justice, while i heard of these many times i never really watched them exept for young justice, which i tried to get into, are they good?

Gargoyles is excellent. Definitely check it out. Though avoid the third season, since Weisman was no longer working on it, and it shows!

I also recently watched W.I.T.C.H. this summer. It's also pretty good and recommended, but the first season (which Weisman wasn't working with) drags a bit. Not to mention it's one of the few shows with a satisfactory ending that closes up (most) storylines.

Still crossing my fingers that USM gets cancelled after season 2...

Spectacular Spider-Man was great. Episodes of Batman the Animated Series like "Almost got em" are what made the show so good, having this complex world of supervillains that easily turn on eachother and do things like sit around a poker table and share their encounters with the Batman was brilliant. It gave a whole new level of character to character who may otherwise not get there. Spectacular Spider-Man had episodes that showed had villain subplots with real character arcs like the Sandman's and the Shockers. You got to see them doing things like trying to win an auction for blueprints for the Rhino suit, and then having an all out gangwar.

I always thought a fun episode would be one that took place before Ock Assembled the Sinister Six and showed him having a private meeting in like a bar with all of the Season One villains, maybe having an empty chair for the Lizard, and show the Green Goblin slowly outsmart and turn all of the supercriminals against eachother finally before leaving refusing to join, highlighting just how much of a superior threat he true was. Not to mention it would remind me of my favorite BTAS episode listed above :D

Too bad it got canceled :(

Although I have the give the 94 series credit for it's series finale, where Peter has to stop the alternate universe version of himself as Spider-Carnage and finally does so by finding the alternate version of Uncle Ben who is still alive and talks him out of his plans. It sounds pretty bad on paper, but it's a pretty satisfying conclusion.

never saw or heard of Spider-Man: The New Animated Series

gonna watch it today, will return with opinion.

god why didnt anyone warn me??! two episodes was enough for one lifetime.

MTV Spider-man would have been great without the stupid design changes and that awful cliffhanger. SPOILER: Why would he give up being Spider-man? I hated the revamped Electro and most of the "down to earth" villains. I understand the movie was out, but come on! As for the animation, Spidey looked the best. In fact, here is a visual comparison of the Tv shows:

600full-the-spectacular-spider--man-screenshot.jpg

spiderman-mtv_1088435513.jpg

0.jpg

spiderman-80-s-complete-cartoon-series-4-dvd-set-7727d.jpg

ultimatespiderman.jpg

never saw or heard of Spider-Man: The New Animated Series

gonna watch it today, will return with opinion.

god why didnt anyone warn me??! two episodes was enough for one lifetime.
I like it, so my opinion wouldn't do a thing for you
Why so distasteful?

MTV Spider-man would have been great without the stupid design changes and that awful cliffhanger. SPOILER: Why would he give up being Spider-man?
Cause him being Spider-Man crippled Indy
He did it in the comics more than once, for lesser reasons

I'm sorry, I know why, but I meant that Mind Games was a stupid finale to the series.
Had there been a season 2, we might have picked up where we left off.

What do you guys think of the latest Spider-Man animation series, The Ultimate Spider-Man.

I think it is pretty fun to watch, but what bugs me is how Spider-Man has been portrayed in this series. Spider-Man is definitely way stronger than he is made in this series. We see Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Wolverine mentioned as if they are all much stronger and better superheros than he is. Whereas in the comics and other animated series, Spider-Man stands head to head with the others and can quite easily dish them out, and knock'em out cold. Spider-Man can definitely kick ass, but he is made as a servant by Nick Fury to S.H.I.E.L.D.

I guess this is because it is the Ultimate universe, but Amazing Spider-Man commands more respect, is much more stronger, and would be a serious force to reckoned with where other superheros and wold consider it an honor to meet him as well.

I think it fits. He hasn't been Spider-Man very long. He's still a teenager in high school and knows he's working his way to become an equal but has a lot to learn.

Of course, I would love anything that has so much Coulson especially Coulson in his swimsuit, on vacation, in regular SHIELD uniform, Captain America uniform and a lot of nudity...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"