Spider-Man: The Peter Parker vs Miles Morales Debate

Scarletspiderman

Civilian
Reaction score
Back when it was announced that Peter Parker was going to be killed off in Ultimate to be replaced by the new character Miles Morales, I was very opposed to the idea for a couple reasons:

1. It was already bad enough they killed off a massive chunk of the ultimate universe in the Ultimatum crossover. Yeah, I didn't like that arc either. You want to cancel a bunch of the ultimate comics fine, but you don't have to kill off all the characters.

2. So they wanted a minority character as Spider-Man. Did you forget you already had Miguel O'Hara?! You didn't have to kill Peter Parker and you didn't need to create a brand new character.

I would have LOVED to have seen an Ultimate Miguel O'Hara. Before anyone says, "but he's in the future!", this is the ULTIMATE universe. There is nothing that says he has to be futuristic or related to Peter Parker in any way.

Now we fast forward to the present where Marvel keeps rebooting like they're DC, and they're bringing Miles Morales into the main Marvel universe. (I also think it's stupid that Jane Foster is becoming Thor, but I have zero interest in Thor anyway. So whatever.)

If Miles replaces Peter Parker all together I might just be done with Marvel. I understand that Miles has grown quite the fan base, so fine, let him co-exist with Peter Parker.

So how can we have both Peter Parker and Miles Morales? Here's two options:

1. Miles Morales: Scarlet Spider. If you couldn't already tell by my username, the Scarlet Spider costume is my favourite Spidey costume and any excuse to keep it around is fine by me. I'm not overly attached to Ben Reilly being in the costume, I mean he's a clone of Peter Parker after all.

2. Iron Spider. This was an interesting concept, I just didn't think it worked with Peter Parker. After Peter abandoned the suit, we all know a team of Iron Spiders was created. Having Miles Morales lead an "All-New All-Different Marvel" team of Iron Spiders would actually be an interesting thing to see. They could even put Miguel O'Hara on the team.

In conclusion, leave Peter Parker alone and bring back Miguel O'Hara. :cwink: :spidey:

Miles isn't replacing Peter. Its pretty much confirmed the two will co-exist. But Anyway, how does this work at all? Miles works best for a lot of reasons that, with the loss of the Ultimate U, are now lost.

I doubt Miles' supporting characters are coming back, or will be used the same way they were in the UU. I KNOW for a fact that Miles all-important rapport with Gwen, Aunt May, and MJ will not make it into this New Marvel bull, and how Miles works so well being the new Spider-Man taking on the mantle in a post-Peter era...how can you keep that if Peter and Miles are both Spider-Man? What makes Miles unique now?

There is no debate.

Peter Parker is Spider-Man.
'Nuff said.

Close thread please.

:yay:

All I care about is if Ganke makes it in the new universe. Him and Miles are like Matt and Foggy the next generation in a way

Ultimate Jessica Drew better make it too, her and Kaine make a killer black ops team.

Personally, I can't wait to see a hopeful Peter/Miles book in the new Marvel-verse, ala Batman/Robin. Espically if they let Pete keep his family.

Miles being in the 616 now diminishes everything that was great with the character, now he's just ANOTHER Spider character in a world FILLED with them. It's just a countdown now until Miles eventually just fades into the background like Kaine and Spider-Girl.

Miles being in the 616 now diminishes everything that was great with the character, now he's just ANOTHER Spider character in a world FILLED with them. It's just a countdown now until Miles eventually just fades into the background like Kaine and Spider-Girl.

Depends if Kaine or Anya will still be around or not. Silk, too now that Spider-Gwen will be in the new universe

I hope thats not true because I will be honest I hated Miles and everything about him, but he's won me over now. Not enough to replace Pete thats just crazy talk, but enough for me to be engaged and care about the character. Really hope they continue doing great things with him and he doesn't become just another spider in the spiderverse.

The problem with Miles from the get-go, besides Quesada admitting they were only doing it for diversity*, is that he's always been a recycled archetype. The whole "genius kid with low socioeconomic status inspired by Peter Parker to become a superhero" has been done multiple times already in 616. In that sense, he is the Ultimate version of Hobie Brown who became Spider-Man instead of the Prowler. Which is fine for Ultimate, I guess, but it loses its impact in the 616 verse, especially where there are also like 4 or 5 other Spider-themed heroes running around. Miles is now almost another Prowler clone like Rocket Racer, but in a Spider-Man suit.

*[BLACKOUT]No, there is nothing wrong with wanting more diversity. But when you solely do it for that reason, you end up with characters that often feel not that three-dimensional. That's what separates Miles from the likes of Kamala Khan and Falcon as Captain America, both great replacements to their respective mantles in their own right. Are you oversensitive folks following me? Good.[/BLACKOUT]

Peter Parker IS Spider-man. There's no doubt about that.

But what does Miles bring to the table? That's why I'm not a fan of Spidey clones because I feel they take away from the uniqueness of Spidey (who doesn't really work as a legacy character).

One thing that this COULD lead to that many of us should be thankful for...

Peter Parker can grow up.

As the more experienced mentor to Miles, Peter can now be a grown-up, be married, have a kid, whatever, while Miles is the teenager that is growing up and learning how to be a better hero.

As the more experienced mentor to Miles, Peter can now be a grown-up, be married, have a kid, whatever, while Miles is the teenager that is growing up and learning how to be a better hero.

"But how will we see him bang another chick because that's more important than seeing him become old and marrying that red headed harpy!"

Signed,
A fraction of Spider Man readers who feel character growth is their kryptonite

Yessssssssss. God, I hope that's what Marvel does with this, but I'm not expecting it. I really want Married!Peter back and would be really happy to see a Daddy!Peter too.

My thoughts regarding Peter and Miles though is that I think there's a big possibility that they'll handle it in a manner similar to "Batman Inc." where Peter's Spider-Man in one place and Miles is Spider-Man elsewhere, though I'd have no issues at all with Peter being a mentor of sorts to Miles.

This is my issue. Peter Parke is Spiderman, Steve Rogers is Captain America, Odinson is Thor. They keep playing musical chairs with identities and to me it's gotten too carried away. I read that Miles will be the Spidey in the Avengers and PP Spidey will be the solo one.

miles morales needs another code name it worked for the two spider-women

miles morales needs another code name it worked for the two spider-women
As much as it irks my soul to bring it up but Dick and Bruce handled being Batman at the same time respectively. What will happen with Peter and Miles will be no different from that

Miles being in the 616 is the best thing to happen to Peter in years. With Miles now being the teenage Spider-Man, the writers can now finally move Peter character forward again instead of the perpetual man child state of arrested development he was in under Quesada's regime.

Many of the problems with Peter in the last decade stemmed from Marvel wanting him to still be some young, relatable kid even though he'd outgrown that phase long ago.

It's not just Miles joining the 616, but it seems like every spider character that ever existed will now all be part of the universe. I'm not sure how this is going to work out. I feel some of these characters will drop off. I also find it interesting that Marvel didn't feel Miles was a strong enough character on his own to carry a book, so he will have Peter as a mentor Alla Batman Beyond. '

It's scarlet spider vs amazing all over again. If Miles book doesn't perform against the Amazing Spider-Man book they are launching they will end up dumping Miles all together, which will suck. But this is just my opinion.

For more on my thoughts check out my podcast on this very topic right here: http://superherospeak.com/wp/111-sixteen-spiders/

or listen directly here http://media.blubrry.com/superherospeak/superherospeak.com/wp/PodCasts/SHSEp111.mp3

I am SO thrilled with the future for Spider-man. While I'm not sure how I feel about Web Warriors, Miles joining the main universe is the best thing to happen to Peter in a LONG time! Now Peter can finally grow up! Here's hoping it lasts.

*edit* double post

Last edited:
I've decided to catch up to Miles Morales titles after the glorious adaptions the character had with his own game and Into the Spider-Verse.

His powers are cooler thanks to stealth and venom blasts, and he's in a cool setting and has a neat personality, but I'm not the kind to prefer a new character to one I've been a huge fan of for nearly two decades before the conception of the new character, not even when the new character is older than a decade now.
*edit* double post
Here I am, out of the blue quoting a 7 years old post to say "at least we can delete posts with the current format"

:oldrazz:

Wow, wasn't expecting this to get bumped! I was still in high school when I posted that :eek:

But it HAS been amazing to have Miles in the 616. He's had some great stories in his own titles and in Champions. I've been loving Ahmed's run. Plus, they finally fixed one of Bendis' dumbest choices and finally changed his dad's name. Still can't believe that we got "Black Jefferson Davis" :funny:

Miles being in the 616 is the best thing to happen to Peter in years. With Miles now being the teenage Spider-Man, the writers can now finally move Peter character forward again instead of the perpetual man child state of arrested development he was in under Quesada's regime.

Many of the problems with Peter in the last decade stemmed from Marvel wanting him to still be some young, relatable kid even though he'd outgrown that phase long ago.
Oh, gosh. Boy do I wish THIS had turned out to be true. :argh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"