Spirit Costume

Bubastis

Civilian
Reaction score
I'm making a Spirit costume for halloween, and wanted to know if I could get some help.
I found a small white trenchcoat which looks almost identical to the Spirit's jacket, but the color is wrong. How would I go about dying it blue? Also, for the domino mask, the masks most readily available look like this:
400006.jpg

Should I augment the mask? If so, I'm thinking of making it look like the movie-mask. If I do that, should I paint around my eyes like batman to give it a more comic-look?

The easieis route would be to cheat and just do black like the movie, but I think you're on the right track aiming to go for the look Eisner used for so many years... that way, when you're trick or treating, no one says they like your Zorro costume.

I did an elaborate Darkman costume (with burn makeup showing under the bandages) about 15 years ago and everyone told me how much they liked my Phantom of the Opera costume. :csad:

Advice on dying the suit blue... avoid the frustration and work of dying an existing suit, and just go to a second hand store and spend all of 8 dollars on a blue suit.

And post pics of the costume when you're done.

The easieis route would be to cheat and just do black like the movie, but I think you're on the right track aiming to go for the look Eisner used for so many years... that way, when you're trick or treating, no one says they like your Zorro costume.

I did an elaborate Darkman costume (with burn makeup showing under the bandages) about 15 years ago and everyone told me how much they liked my Phantom of the Opera costume. :csad:

Advice on dying the suit blue... avoid the frustration and work of dying an existing suit, and just go to a second hand store and spend all of 8 dollars on a blue suit.

And post pics of the costume when you're done.
I've been hitting up all my local Goodwills and Salvation Armies, and have yet to find anything like what's needed. Even eBay doesn't have anything I need. I'm essentially searching for children's clothing because I'm a 16 year old who's the height of a 12 year old, but the jacket i currently have is perfect.
It's funny you should mention the distinction between Movie/Eisner costumes, because it crossed my mind alot. I love the design of the Movie costume, and I think Macht looks great as the spirit, I just hate the colors. My dream is to re-do the costume only with accurate coloring. That's why I've been wondering what to do about the domino mask.

I'd look into making the mask from scratch, using latex or rubber.

Adhere it to your face using spirit gum (no pun intended) or some other theatrical adhesive.

ASL-DC-Spirit.gif

OK, so here's the deal.
-I'm gonna get a red tie off E-bay, hoping that it'll be lightweight enough to flap in the wind.
-I'm gonna get a navy blue fedora. But I wanna find the right type. I like the one that they use in the movie, it looks kinda like Indiana Jones. More than that, I hope I can get all the shades of blue to match. Maybe fabric spray can be employed? (Not entirely related: I looked for fedoras at Target. I never knew fedoras could make people look fat.)
-Still need to find out how to dye my trenchcoat blue.
-I'm looking for the right gloves... I know the color, and I have a good idea of the shape. In the picture above, you can see something that's kinda signature Spirit. The ends of his gloves, which are rolled up a big, are alot wider than his arm/wrist. (You can see this on The Yellow Bastard in Frank Miller's Sin City book.) What specific kind of glove should I look for?
-I'm looking for the right hue of white for the shirt. Normal super-clean white wouldn't work. Maybe something like this? :
lamb.offwhite.jpg

-Also, I've realized I should get the most old, down-n-dirty clothing I can, because the Spirit would never look clean. He gets the ***** beat out of him in the rain on too regular of a basis for him to always look really nice.

Also, the reason I haven't gotten a blue suit instead of dying a trenchcoat is because I can't FIND A BLUE DAMN SUIT. *Grumbles angrily at the blue suit-lacking world*

I've got everything but the fedora and gloves...pics soon!

I've been wanting to do a classic Eisner Spirit costume for years. When the 1st pics of Miller's Spirit were released, I seriously found everything in my closet. I assembled a great looking Miller Spirit in about 5 minutes. But where's the fun in that? Too simple I say.

Plus I want to go as Eisner's Spirit, not Miller's "Spirit". So I got black shoes, white shirt, and a red tie. Now a need a blue suit. Well at least it's more common then a purple one.

Sorry about that. It's not quite there yet, but i have the tie and jacket.
I found out what hat I need to get though. Stetson is the brand that makes hats that look just like the one in the movie/darwyn cooke run. I also realized that I can't use just a white shirt, because the color is too vibrant. (Which may be a reason miller decided to not take the classic colors. However, If lit correctly, as the comics have proven, Maybe a very dull gray or teal or off-white. Maybe baby blue.

Also, anybody have a good place to get the right gloves?

Alright. Got the fedora and gloves in the mail. Got the shirt at target. I just need to dye my khakis blue and get my camera from my friend, and I'll be set.
Here's where I got the fedora:
http://www.mninternational.com/Catalog.cfm/iProdID/179624
Here's where I got the gloves:
http://www.jessicalondon.com/clothi...e_location_id=03&WT.mc_id=k4720&mid=j11491193
Here's where i searched for both those items:
http://www.thefind.com/
(great site. If you're looking for a specific article of clothing, it's a wonderful companion to eBay. I reccomend it for anybody who's putting together a superhero costume and Goodwill/eBay don't have it.)

Here is my take on the movie spirit. My wife helped lol.

TheSpiritKiss3.jpg

Spirit.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my attemp at the Movie costume.. as yet unfinished.. just got the gloves... but I can't find a damned Two prong belt with the square buckle that ships to the UK....
Spirit010bw2.jpg

Not bad, but you should wear the gloves!

Yeah That pic was taken before I got the gloves...
I now have a source for a close looking belt, managed to organise it being sent over from the US.
I'll get more pics done when it's all together.

Great! One question: Did you buy the mask, or did you make it, or did you modify a mask?

I modified one of those "bat" shaped masks that are available on a well known auction site. It was origionally bought as a spare for my Wife when she did Batgirl with me. It was already trimmed quite a bit so that it could be quickly finished for her if needed. But as it was already in a near "Spirit" shape I pinched it. It was well shaped in it's fit to the face, a quick trim with scissors and voila! One Spirit mask. It also has a good texture.

Im going to put together a Spirit costume together for a comic/film themed party in cambridge in a few weeks.
Im gonan go with movie version only because its easier to get, i already have the chucks, and it looks abit more stylish for the party scene : P

Okay, seriously TimDrakeRobin45 and Combat Gerbil those are AWESOME costumes. :D

Last edited:
Got around to making some progress on my Spirit suits. I've found out that I really don't make that great of a Spirit but anyways:

I made a Miller one just for the hell of it:
30kwuwm.jpg

And here's the progress on my Eisner one:
mk88jc.jpg

I still need the fedora, mask, and gloves.

Got around to making some progress on my Spirit suits. I've found out that I really don't make that great of a Spirit but anyways:

I made a Miller one just for the hell of it:
30kwuwm.jpg

And here's the progress on my Eisner one:
mk88jc.jpg

I still need the fedora, mask, and gloves.
my only suggestion would be to fiind a different shirt. what makes these suits look cheap is the bright red white and blue. what you're emphasizing is the red and blue. find a more dull shirt, maybe gray or light blue. the mask can be tough, but it's all in the shape. try using one thats shaped like miller's mask, as much as i hate to say that. the fedora can be tough, i had to end up using an 8 dollar one form a party store, but if you can find a white fedora that looks right that you can dye blue, then I applaud you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"