Star Trek Sequel - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who do you think Alice Eve is playing? I'm hoping she's playing Christine Chapel.

Yeah the first time i heard the title i thought it was ridiculous but it has grown on me somehow.

I give them props for thinking outside of the box if even slightly.

I just want a good film. The title is secondary for me...

It sounds like the title of a Led Zeppelin album, but I don't care.

Never before in my life seen anything related to Star Trek (though I've learned some about the characters through other popular culture) but with the discussions lately about how people don't like the title to this coming sequel to the re-boot, I became curious and decided to watch said re-boot.

And never could I imagine I would love it as much as I did. I thought it was fantastic. The suspense, the humor, the acting/characterization, the story and the emotions, everything worked for me. They way they managed to re-boot the whole thing by bringing in the factor of an alternate time-line was brilliant, not only the idea but mostly the writing and how it was put together. I'm weak for time-travel and when it clicks, it really clicks for me.

The end with all the crew reporting for duty in enterprise put the biggest smile on my face and when Spock Prime's voice-over finished the movie off I got immediate goosebumps.

Even though Abrams might have overdone the lens-flare thing a bit, I still loved it and the cinematography as a whole, that sharp and super-bright feel, it was almost mezmerising.

Now I'm suddenly super-stoked for this sequel, couldn't care less about the title. Also gonna go back now and watch all the old films, it's gonna be fun. :)

How many people here consider star trek to have been a better film than the star wars prequels? Hell i think it made a better star wars film than the prequels did.

How many people here consider star trek to have been a better film than the star wars prequels? Hell i think it made a better star wars film than the prequels did.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out most, if not all, people here think that..... it certainly helps to have a charismatic lead in Chris Pine, instead of a dull, miserable, whiney, moaning, long-haired, boring, wooden sort of guy doing his thing.

The Star Wars prequels were terrible. Albeit spectacularly so. You watch them just to study the flaws.

Star Trek was a good movie. Not a great movie. But enjoyable. Didn't really do anything new (by movie standards, not Trek standards). But what it did, it did well.

It made Star Trek entertaining. Which is quite a feat.

Star Trek is far and away better than the first two prequels, with Sith it's more of an even fight as I love them both, albeit in different ways.

I never liked Star Trek and I've always been a Star Wars fan, but I will say it was better than the prequels. I loved it (even with all of it's plots holes).

I will admit though that Episode III is a guilty pleasure for me.

I only like some ST movies and, while I like the Prequels more than ST09, I'd say the latter has made ST really interesting to me for the first time, although it wasn't as deep as STtM, WoK or TUC.

Not that it's much of an excuse, but with the condition the Star Trek franchise was in before Abrams and co. got their hands on it, I don't think they could afford to be overly deep and reignite interest in a franchise that had become fairly niche at the same time. After ****ing Nemesis and the last few seasons of Enterprise, I think they were probably thinking "Okay, let's dig deep later. For now, let's just try to make this all enjoyable again."

And it worked big time. Like I said, ST09 wasn't deep but it did a much better job at turning me into a fan than past efforts, deep or not.

Yeah, Abrams made Star Trek cool and exciting, which was very much needed to make anyone care about that franchise.

I had a few issues with the movie. For one thing, it really lacked exposition. Which was rather odd for a reboot (presumably trying to get a lot of people who knew nothing about Star Trek to go and see it).

Even if it would have been something as little as an orientation video on the history of Starfleet.

I've seen the movie with a few people now who know nothing about Star Trek, and a number of them didn't get who the Romulans were, or why they wanted to blow up Earth (actually, I wondered that too).

Apparently in the original script some Roumlans wonder that too... So, was Nero just having a bad day? Did they just need a third act?

Nero clearly states they were miners and when Spock failed to save their planet, they wanted revenge.

Yes, and they get it, by blowing up Vulcan.

Then they just go to attack Earth for no clear reason.

Spock's half human. Nero only destroyed one of Spock's 2 homes/people.

Seems like a rather flimsy reason. Then again, their reasons for blowing up Vulcan were rather flimsy to begin with. But then Nero wasn't exactly the brainiest villain. He's essentially a Romulan Fred Flintstone.

Man are they luck Spock wasn't half-Klingon.

Well, when a movie needs to establish the heroes (and ST09 desperately needed to do that), I don't mind getting weaker villains (see: Batman Begins).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"