Guardians of the Galaxy Starlord's Pops

^ Yondu did say something like that, but the speculation from Yondu supporters is that he has and continues to mislead his men. The main support for Yondu is how he said something about how he 'may look like an angel...'.

But still, Yondu is, IMO, just barely in the top 5 likely candidates.

BarryAllen, you say that Starhawk is a being of light (as opposed to Starfox), but there are a few things to consider.

1. They can, as you've already pointed out, change up almost whatever they want. If they want Quill's dad to be someone who is "composed of light", then they could do that with just about any character. Yes, they could make it Starhawk as some light being, or they could make it Star Fox as some light being.

2. All Eternals have the ability to manipulate cosmic energies for a number of purposes. This energy is housed within the cells of their bodies and can be used to purposely augment their physical, mental and energy manipulative abilities. This power is why you sometimes see Star Fox drawn in this way:
eg5nvs.jpg

Sure looks like a being of light, or what have you.

3. The jackass statement fits Starfox more than just about any other character. Why? Because of his other power:

Pleasure Stimulation: Starfox possesses the psionic ability to stimulate the pleasure centers of the brains of people within 25 feet of himself. This power, which emanates from him at all times causes other beings to feel good around him. By concentrating, he can magnify these emanations, provoking such extreme pleasurable sensations that a person becomes highly aroused, euphoric, or totally sedated, as the case may be.

In fact, one of his weaknesses is that he can also draw ire from those who are aware he is using his powers on then, and anger from those who discover he did so to them previously. He received a vicious kick to the groin from She-Hulk when she discovered that he had used his powers to seduce her.

Sure seems like Pelvic Sorcery to me! And I would imagine that one of Star Fox's offspring would have the power as well, maybe just to a much lesser degree and to the point that he's not even aware of it!

As far as Starhawk, look, I get it, some people like Starhawk. But why?

Is it cause he looks cool?

4098.jpg

I kind of feel that the female version looks better:

4042.jpg

Is it because you like his powers?

It's all light beam and heat beam relates stuff, and Starfox's powers could be argued as being better (especially his "pelvic sorcery"!

So is it where he gets his powers from?

That's the whole Hawk God thing, which really wouldn't translate well. And it can easily be argued that Star Fox's power origin, from being an Eternal, would translate so much better to the big screen.

Look, your option is either the brother of Thanos, making Quill related to Thanos, a Norse God, making Quill related to Odin and Thor, or Starhawk, which (unless they alter things drastically) wouldn't relate to anything!

^

Really? You actually might the first one to say that. The almost universal answer to the question "J'Son?" is "meh". I mean, not that there's anything wrong with that... but is it because you're fond of the character or is it more like "it is so in the comics and so shall it be on film"?

GALACTUS
Galactus_(Earth-TRN177).jpg

I'm going to leave you all with the thought on how Peter Quill comes from Galactus. :p As for Marvel not having the rights, let's be real the FF are going to come back.

Last edited:
How is Kevin Bacon not an option? Yondu couldn't be his dad sine he called his dad a jackass. His dad won't be J'son. Gunn already said so. I think Adam Warlock is a likely option. Doesn't he have an angelic appearance or something?

Of course Kevin Bacon is an option, but he'll likely be playing the character of Starfox or Balder!

2. All Eternals have the ability to manipulate cosmic energies for a number of purposes. This energy is housed within the cells of their bodies and can be used to purposely augment their physical, mental and energy manipulative abilities. This power is why you sometimes see Star Fox drawn in this way:
eg5nvs.jpg

Sure looks like a being of light, or what have you.

Doesn't really like an angel though.

In fact, one of his weaknesses is that he can also draw ire from those who are aware he is using his powers on then, and anger from those who discover he did so to them previously. He received a vicious kick to the groin from She-Hulk when she discovered that he had used his powers to seduce her.

That could be possible, but it might come across as a little 'rapey' for the general audience.

Sure seems like Pelvic Sorcery to me! And I would imagine that one of Star Fox's offspring would have the power as well, maybe just to a much lesser degree and to the point that he's not even aware of it!

As far as Starhawk, look, I get it, some people like Starhawk. But why?

Is it cause he looks cool?

4098.jpg

I kind of feel that the female version looks better:

4042.jpg

Starhawk.jpg

I'd argue his male form is pretty freaking cool as well.

Is it because you like his powers?

It's all light beam and heat beam relates stuff, and Starfox's powers could be argued as being better (especially his "pelvic sorcery"!

So is it where he gets his powers from?

That's the whole Hawk God thing, which really wouldn't translate well. And it can easily be argued that Star Fox's power origin, from being an Eternal, would translate so much better to the big screen.
I don't see that as a strong argument. Sure, Starfox has a somewhat interesting power. But Starhawk's is far more cinematic, meaning it would work better for a big budget action flick. Starfox's would be a quick punchline and that's it. If I wanted to see a man instantly attracting a women, I could easily look at Tony Stark from the first Iron Man movie or Howard Stark from the Agent Carter tv series.

And as I mentioned prior, the Hawk God angle doesn't have to be used. Starlord's origin in the comic involved Peter Quill being is born during an unusual astronomical phenomenon when many of the planets align. Seeing no resemblance, the man who believed he was Quill's father accuses his wife Meredith of infidelity and attempts to kill the infant, but dies of a sudden heart attack. Quill is raised by his single mother until she is killed by an alien when he is eleven. Quill is placed in an orphanage but escapes and eventually becomes a trainee NASA astronaut. An alien entity called the Master of the Sun later visits the space station that Quill and other astronauts are inhabiting, and offers the mantle of Star-Lord to a worthy candidate. I don't remember ANY of that showing up it the movie.

Look, your option is either the brother of Thanos, making Quill related to Thanos, a Norse God, making Quill related to Odin and Thor, or Starhawk, which (unless they alter things drastically)

Which Marvel and James Gunn aren't above doing. Yondu is absolutely nothing like his big screen counterpart other than the fact that they're blue and have arrows.

James Gunn on Guardians 2:
“It’s different than what’s in the comic books,” said the director. “Peter Quill’s father is somebody different in the comics. So then when the movie came out, we got green-lit on the sequel right away. I went in and I sat down with those guys and I’m like, ‘Okay, here’s what I think the sequel should be.’ And they were like, ‘Oh, whoa. That’s risky, but okay.’ Now I’m going to turn over the story in a few short weeks and we’ll find out how well it works.” Special thanks to Uproxx for the transcription of Gunn's podcast interview, which you can listen to in full here. What do you think?
I think Starhawk is a pretty risky character to put on screen because of his unique look and powers. Starfox really doesn't scream that. Plus why does everything have to be connected? Too much connections can be a bad thing.

Last edited:
In all the time I've ever read Starfox in Avengers comics I never saw him emit any semblance of light as depicted in the illustration above. I think that it's just license being taken by the artist.

Doesn't really like an angel though.

That could be possible, but it might come across as a little 'rapey' for the general audience.

Starhawk.jpg

I'd argue his male form is pretty freaking cool as well.

I don't see that as a strong argument. Sure, Starfox has a somewhat interesting power. But Starhawk's is far more cinematic, meaning it would work better for a big budget action flick. Starfox's would be a quick punchline and that's it. If I wanted to see a man instantly attracting a women, I could easily look at Tony Stark from the first Iron Man movie or Howard Stark from the Agent Carter tv series.

And as I mentioned prior, the Hawk God angle doesn't have to be used. Starlord's origin in the comic involved Peter Quill being is born during an unusual astronomical phenomenon when many of the planets align. Seeing no resemblance, the man who believed he was Quill's father accuses his wife Meredith of infidelity and attempts to kill the infant, but dies of a sudden heart attack. Quill is raised by his single mother until she is killed by an alien when he is eleven.[14] Quill is placed in an orphanage but escapes and eventually becomes a trainee NASA astronaut. An alien entity called the Master of the Sun later visits the space station that Quill and other astronauts are inhabiting, and offers the mantle of Star-Lord to a worthy candidate. I don't remember ANY of that showing up it the movie.

Which Marvel and James Gunn aren't above doing. Yondu is absolutely nothing like his big screen counterpart other than the fact that they're blue and have arrows.

James Gunn on Guardians 2:

I think Starhawk is a pretty risky character to put on screen because of his unique look and powers. Starfox really doesn't scream that. Plus why does everything have to be connected? Too much connections can be a bad thing.

As far as "looking like an Angel":

- Starfox can fly
- His powers of manipulating cosmic energy could make him look "angelic"
- His "pelvic sorcery" powers could make him be perceived by a mere mortal as "angelic"
- He probably looks more angelic than say... Star Hawk.

As far as Starfox's pelvic sorcery power coming off "rapey":

- it's all in how they portray it
- If it is shown he truly loved Quill's mom (which I'm sure it will be) then it's less of an issue.

As far as Starhawk's male form:

- Sure, I agree, looks cool. But it's all about the story.

As far as which character is better for the movie:

- It's all about the story.
- As I've already pointed out, the top options are the brother of Thanos making Thanos the Uncle of Quill, the son of Odin and brother of Thor or some obscure dude from the future...

I think too much extrapolation on "looking like an angel" from Quill's mom is being made. Like an angel can simply mean he descended from the heavens (ie, stars), which in and of itself gives him an angelic appearance.

Starfox fits too well as a functional piece of mythos building. Not only does the personality and powers of Starlord imply Starfox, but in this economy of characters, where each character serves a purpose to efficiently build a universe, he saves narrative time because when you explain Starfox, you're also revealing Thanos' origin, the Eternals origin, the Celestials' origin, the Infinity Gems origin, and even the Kree and Inhumans. This isn't the comics where you have 30 Marvel comics published a month, year after year, to build a universe. You get two hours every six months or so to flesh out the MCU, so efficiency needs to be a priority. Some extraneous character like Starhawk or J'Son or Ego the Living Planet would waste narrative time explaining that selected and unrelated character, when you still have to spend screen time explaining Thanos/Celestials/Infinity gems. Or, you'd have to morph Starhawk into the ready-made Eternals mythology in some way that makes you think, "Geez, you should have just made Starfox the father."

I said it before, and I'll say it again. His father will be the Master of the Sun. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if his father was an amalgamation of J'son/Jason and the Master of the Sun. Maybe they might reveal that the Master of the Sun's real name is J'son.

OMT, as originally created, Peter's father was a human who was an abusive religious nut, not Jason/J'son.

OMT, Starhawk technically doesn't "switch genders". Starhawk is 2 people (a man and a woman) who are (a) brother and sister through adoption (b) married (c) had 3 children (d) can't exist in the same space/reality at the same time and (e) share the power of the Hawk God, but use them in different ways.

Last edited:
As far as Starfox's pelvic sorcery power coming off "rapey":

- it's all in how they portray it
- If it is shown he truly loved Quill's mom (which I'm sure it will be) then it's less of an issue.

I... I don't want to start an argument, but "true love" doesn't give you permission to roofie someone. We can ALL agree on that can't we?

Oh god please say you all agree.

What if they take a key from the recent comics in which it was revealed that Thanos went around the universe having kids all over the place and Quill is one of his kids? Of course there isn't really anything Angelic about Thanos so I guess it would be a slim chance of happening. Maybe it would be better to come from Thanos' brother instead of Thanos himsefl since that would be a bit contrived

OMT, as originally created, Peter's father was a human who was an abusive religious nut, not Jason/J'son.

OMT, Starhawk technically doesn't "switch genders". Starhawk is 2 people (a man and a woman) who are (a) brother and sister through adoption (b) married (c) had 3 children (d) can't exist in the same space/reality at the same time and (e) share the power of the Hawk God, but use them in different ways.

Peter's "father" in the first Star-Lord issue (Marvel Preview #4) tried to kill Peter almost imediately after his birth because he suspected the baby was not his. Now, it turns out he wasn't the most sane person, so it might just have been his paranoia, but even if he was originally intended to be the real father, it was retconned only a year later in Peter's second appearance (Marvel Preview #11), so I'm not sure how important that is.

As for Starhawk, Aleta is not the only female Starhawk. Because of the events in D&A's Guardians of the Galaxy (the Fault and all that) the future became unstable and to fix it a female version of Stakar came back in time and attacked Vance Astro.

I... I don't want to start an argument, but "true love" doesn't give you permission to roofie someone. We can ALL agree on that can't we?

Oh god please say you all agree.

Agreed.

What I meant was that they alter Star Fox's (and Starlord's) pelvic sorcery power to simply be having a high charisma (or something like that).

It's what makes Quill a good leader, fun to be around, and kind of a lady's man (all things we were shown).

Some of this could be used for Star Fox as well, but maybe a bit on the higher side.

So we're not talking roofie powers, just a bit of pheremone type stuff. Almost like wearing cologne, if you get my analogy.

And again, if you were a guy in a bar and all of the hot chicks were attracted to this one dude, you'd think he is a "jackass"!

I wonder if there's room in the movie for a fakeout suggestion J'Son is Peter's dad even though they don't want to go down that route for his actual dad. Certainly, he fits the role of being a jackass, like Yondu said.

Pheromone Powers on Spider-Woman: OK!

Pheromone Powers on Star Fox: Rapey!

I think Star Fox is Quill's daddy and he brings the good drugs

I said it before, and I'll say it again. His father will be the Master of the Sun. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if his father was an amalgamation of J'son/Jason and the Master of the Sun. Maybe they might reveal that the Master of the Sun's real name is J'son.

Interesting idea that would go back to the original concept of Star-Lord.

Last edited:
Beta-Rey-Bill-Star-Hawk-Guardians.jpg

From the blu-ray extra features. More evidence that Gunn likes Starhawk.

http://www.slashfilm.com/james-gunn-new-guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-characters/

Starfox fits too well as a functional piece of mythos building. Not only does the personality and powers of Starlord imply Starfox, but in this economy of characters, where each character serves a purpose to efficiently build a universe, he saves narrative time because when you explain Starfox, you're also revealing Thanos' origin, the Eternals origin, the Celestials' origin, the Infinity Gems origin, and even the Kree and Inhumans. This isn't the comics where you have 30 Marvel comics published a month, year after year, to build a universe. You get two hours every six months or so to flesh out the MCU, so efficiency needs to be a priority. Some extraneous character like Starhawk or J'Son or Ego the Living Planet would waste narrative time explaining that selected and unrelated character, when you still have to spend screen time explaining Thanos/Celestials/Infinity gems. Or, you'd have to morph Starhawk into the ready-made Eternals mythology in some way that makes you think, "Geez, you should have just made Starfox the father."

Or you don't have to go into detail about their backstories, just like how Gunn didn't for Drax, Yondu, Collector, etc. We knew who they were when we met them. They were aliens who all had various purposes and motivations. Maybe Starhawk isn't the easy or obvious connection, but what if he brings something new to the table? What if he is someone who foresees the rise of Thanos and seeks to stop him? He doesn't have to be exactly like the comic version to work.

As far as which character is better for the movie:

- It's all about the story.
- As I've already pointed out, the top options are the brother of Thanos making Thanos the Uncle of Quill, the son of Odin and brother of Thor or some obscure dude from the future...
See above.

There are some similarities between Genis-Vell (son of Mar-Vell in the comics) and Star-Lord's MRI type scan hologram thingy in GotG. Could be a reason for that?

Genis-Vell:
tx0nsZV.jpg

Star-Lord:
zgt6U3G.png

^ The "body-filled-with-stars" look is generally Marvel's depiction of Cosmic Awareness, starting, I believe, with Starlin's take the original Mar-Vell.
1672702-2_15_2011_8_04_31_pm.jpg

Now, the Vell family (Mar, Genis, and Phylla) aren't the only one's to have possessed this power, and I don't think Starlord is related to them (since Kree DNA should've been recognized by Xandarians), but now I do have to wonder if they're hinting that Quill will gain cosmic awareness. It's likely (IMO) that this feature won't be part of Mar-Vell's character when he shows up in Captain Marvel.

Good catch!

Was reading about adam warlock. Seems that when he was first created he emitted radiation that made him glow. Could this radiation have caused starlords mums cancer?

I think Gunn is overestimating what would be considered controversial,
I heard Peter's father was speculated to be someone already well established in the MCU, this could go hand in hand with the "massive risk" this change could be.

Someone like Loki? Or Thanos himself. I'm thinking of someone horrible because when Marvel say it's a risk, you know it's gonna be something stupid and gimmicky. Like Tony Stark being his dad or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"