Stephen King Adaptations.

I liked the mist cause it reminded so much a Lovecraft story. I can see why too cause most of Lovercaft is a big influence in some of King's stories especially this one.

Not a King adaptation (I believe it was written for the screen) but still a great King contribution imo : Creepshow.
And he was awesome as the title role in The lonesome death of Jordy Veril. (almost like a performance out of a silent film).
King is the man.
Now I want to see a "Running Man" movie closer to the book and a "Thinner" film with today visual FX. And also The Talisman.

Where's the huge and epic Peter Jackson-like treatment for the Dark Tower series?

The movies adaptation of Pet Sematary scared the lving crap out of me when I was a child and I still find it really creepy. Granted it pales in comparison to the book, but it's still quite effective.

Love AMC, they are always showing King movies, last night after the Walking Dead I was treated to Cujo and Pet Cemetary. Haven't read the books to either. Not sure how interested I am in reading Cujo, although I feel Pet Cemetary would end up being a very rewarding read.
I need to find out why Judd is such a fool and why he'd push his neighbour to use the burial ground after knowing no good would come from it... I just have an idea that King would make me accept it better then the movie.

Anyone ever read The Long Walk? Apparently Frank Darabont has the option for directing that one, he'd surely do an amazing job. Loved his rendition of the Mist, as a huge Dark Tower fan I loved imagining that these were the exact sort of creatures Roland and his ka-tet saw [BLACKOUT] when riding Blaine the mono-rail in The Wastelands[/BLACKOUT]

Sort of wish he'd be doing The Dark Tower series... As far as adaptations go, I see no good coming from Ron Howard helming it for the big screen and NBC doing the television shows....

Last edited:
The movies adaptation of Pet Sematary scared the lving crap out of me when I was a child and I still find it really creepy. Granted it pales in comparison to the book, but it's still quite effective.

Zelda screwed me up bad when I was a kid. Real bad.:csad:

Apt Pupil was great, but I wouldn't oppose a remake closer to the book.

Apt Pupil was great, but I wouldn't oppose a remake closer to the book.

Was the novella "edgier", felt like the movie was a bit tame and incomplete somehow, never got around to reading Different Seasons as I've been working my way through a lot of other King stuff in since I got back to reading.

Was the novella "edgier", felt like the movie was a bit tame and incomplete somehow, never got around to reading Different Seasons as I've been working my way through a lot of other King stuff in since I got back to reading.

Honestly that's exactly like it is. But Todd Bowden was presented in a different light than the book was, not to mention the book spanned...4 years? I think. Movie happened all in one year.

But It really is great, performances are top notch [Especially Mckellen :awesome: ], Ottman did great with the editing and score, and I'd say it's one of singer's most underrated.

Honestly that's exactly like it is. But Todd Bowden was presented in a different light than the book was, not to mention the book spanned...4 years? I think. Movie happened all in one year.

But It really is great, performances are top notch [Especially Mckellen :awesome: ], Ottman did great with the editing and score, and I'd say it's one of singer's most underrated.

I do remember the acting being great, saw it when I was a teenager and probably valued violence over plot back then, and was hoping to see more sadism from a Nazi, since you know, that's what they do.

I'm sure I'd like reading it better though since we get to see how they think which is usually all the more chilling.

I think The Mist is the greatest King adaptation ever, and it's one of my favorite films ever too. That damn ending. :wow:

I really want them to re-do a Salem's Lot.

I really want them to re-do a Salem's Lot.

Me too. Still my favorite King book.

I'm about halfway through Doctor Sleep right now - it's the sequel to The Shining. I'd love to see a movie, but they'd need to remake The Shining in order for the story to work.

Stephen King movies I've seen (in no particular order).

Carrie: Seen the movie, really enjoyed it, but never read the book.

IT: Seen the movie, still enjoy it, never read the book.

The Running Man: One of my favorite Schwarzenegger movies. I've actually read the book version as well. I couldn't say which one is better, they're both good in very different ways.

Christine: Seen the movie and I love it, never read the book though.

Misery: Seen the movie and read the book and I love them both.

Stand By Me: Love the movie, never read the book though.

The Shining: Never read the book, but I love the Kubrick movie.

Maximum Overdrive: I've never read the book, but the movie sucks (BTW, there's also a direct to DVD version of the story called "Trucks", which I've never seen).

The Green Mile: Love the movie, never read the book.

The Shawshank Redemption: I've seen the movie a few times. It's pretty good, but not my favorite. Never read the book though.

Cujo: Seen the movie a couple of times. Honestly, I found it kinda boring. Never read the book though.

The Stand: I really enjoyed the made for TV miniseries. Never read the book though.

Dreamcatcher: I have this movie in my DVD library. It's pretty fun. Never read the book though.

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head. I might add to the list later.

Huh, two years later and I still hold the same opinion on Apt Pupil. Would love to see The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon too.

Fox, 21 Laps Scare Up ‘The Boogeyman’ Deal; ‘A Quiet Place’ Scribes Beck & Woods to adapt Stephen King Short Story
https://deadline.com/2018/06/stephen-king-the-boogeyman-a-quiet-place-writers-scott-beck-bryan-woods-fox-21-laps-1202417036/
Twentieth Century Fox is finalizing a deal for The Boogeyman, a pitch package for a horror film that teams an iconic Stephen King short story with Scott Beck & Bryan Woods, the scribes behind the genre hit A Quiet Place. 21 Laps’ Shawn Levy Dan Levine and Dan Cohen are producing.

King’s short story was first published in 1973 and later released as part of his 1978 Night Shift collection. The Boogeyman follows a man who recently lost all his children to a creature lurking in the closet. It becomes the latest King fiction to get an option for film or TV treatment, a pace accelerated after the out-sized success of It.

The Boogeyman has been a favorite of short filmmakers; it has been adapted into shorts seven times, in what King calls “dollar baby deals,” non-commercial and non-exclusive rights options that allow emerging filmmakers access to material they could never afford if they were paying retail. The Fox and 21 Laps deal will be the first studio feature adaptation for the short story.

More high end King adaptations, the better.

Glad IT has started a bit of a Stephen King renaissance with top quality talent, like the 80s again.

Those with release dates;

Castle Rock (TV Series) - July 25, 2018
Pet Sematary - April 5, 2019
It: Chapter Two - September 6, 2019
Doctor Sleep - January 24, 2020

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"